1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GERMANY: General Motors raises Astra sales expectations
15 Jul 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

General Motors' German unit Opel expects to sell more new Astra compacts in Europe this year than originally anticipated, GM Europe president Carl-Peter Forster reportedly told journalists on Wednesday night.

"We will sell more than 200,000 (new) Astras," Forster told Reuters during the unveiling of three new models.

Sales of the new Astra would not exceed 230,000 this year due to capacity constraints, he reportedly added.

Full Article Here:

just-auto.com

Image courtesy of OPEL Germany

Ken

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
okay, judging from that awesome pic, the astra could handily rein in the mazda3. the cobat is nice, and should do well, but no one can tell me that it has the oomph that this astra has. man, it's even got the silver crossbar in the grille... slap on a chevy bowtie and ta-da- cobalt5!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I belive it was posted already.
I did make a thread in the Pontiac Forum asking for GM to bring this over as a Pontiac. It wouldnt give so much over-lap between the Cobalt and Ion. If they made a 3dr hatch, that would be nice too. Also bring over the turbo 2.0 that they have. :D

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Jul 15 2004, 05:23 PM
okay, judging from that awesome pic, the astra could handily rein in the mazda3. the cobat is nice, and should do well, but no one can tell me that it has the oomph that this astra has. man, it's even got the silver crossbar in the grille... slap on a chevy bowtie and ta-da- cobalt5!
Agreed.

I'm perplexed as to why GM doesn't ship this over as a Chevrolet (or Pontiac or Saturn or whatever). I, too, noticed that the grill already has a silver crossbar (a la present Chevrolets).

And if you go to the Opel website and play around with the interior photo gallery, you soon discover the awesome interior selections available to the folks across the pond.

Either building this car in Europe and sending it to the US or simply sending the specs to the US and building it alongside the 2-door and 4-door Cobalts here really seems like a no-brainer.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
I guess GM feels if your buying an entry level 4 door your probably a young family or girl not looking for a racy car. It definately looks better than the Cobalt sedan but the Cobalt coupe looks better.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I agree. Bring it over here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts