1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GERMANY: General Motors' Opel pre-sells 50,000 Astras ahead of Saturday launch
18 Mar 2004
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

European General Motors subsidiary Opel on Thursday said it has about 50,000 European orders for the new Astra ahead of its official launch on Saturday.

Dow Jones noted that Opel has been offering a discount of more than €1,000 on a package of options including air conditioning and an on-board computer in an effort to generate demand ahead of the compact's appearance in dealer showrooms.

Full Article Here:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Please, oh please, will they hear our cries and bring Opel back to America?

I would be the first person to put my money down for an Astra.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This should have been the next Cavalier.

·
Registered
396 Posts
the astra IS the next cavalier... and pursiut, and ION... they're all based off the delta-platform if i'm correct. which i am.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by mackingu@Mar 20 2004, 12:49 PM
the astra IS the next cavalier... and pursiut, and ION... they're all based off the delta-platform if i'm correct. which i am.
I wish. Too bad it doesn't look like the Astra on the inside, or offer turbocharged and diesel engines, and navigation systems in the dash with 2 toned BROWN and TAN (what a concept!) leather seats and door panels. :lol:

Instead we get a cheapened interior that Detroit deems "acceptable" to American tastes, without a nav sytem, and although we do get a sweet 170hp engine, we don't get diesels and we don't get turbocharged engines (supercharged instead).

Platform sharing is great, but the Nissan Z and Infiniti FX45 share a platform....hardly the same car.

·
Registered
960 Posts
And all we get is a DAWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Is the Astra the size of a Mazda 3? That's a hot little car. Once again, please when is Saturn gonna sell these things? Just please don't let them touch the styling, or the enignes, or the interior plastic, or the ................

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by Ming+Mar 20 2004, 07:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Mar 20 2004, 07:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mackingu@Mar 20 2004, 12:49 PM
I wish. Too bad it doesn't look like the Astra on the inside, or offer turbocharged and diesel engines, and navigation systems in the dash with 2 toned BROWN and TAN (what a concept!) leather seats and door panels. :lol:

Instead we get a cheapened interior that Detroit deems "acceptable" to American tastes, without a nav sytem, and although we do get a sweet 170hp engine, we don't get diesels and we don't get turbocharged engines (supercharged instead).

Platform sharing is great, but the Nissan Z and Infiniti FX45 share a platform....hardly the same car.

[/b][/quote]
wait, so they're not deltas?

if you use your imagination [read: start free basing like a fiend] you can see a little astra silhouette in the cobalt :D

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put a Pontiac Pursuit front-end on the above vehicle and you have what the Vibe should be......

Ken

·
Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by kmacleod@Mar 22 2004, 12:26 AM
Put a Pontiac Pursuit front-end on the above vehicle and you have what the Vibe should be......

Ken
:D

·
Registered
776 Posts
Who wants to pay for all of that cosmetic junk in this price bracket in America? People who buy Golfs, and who like to overpay for shiny things. That's why the cobalt is not as uplevel as this car. This crappy little thing is uplevel in it's market. We should all be thankful this is not the average type of car here.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i'd be curious to know how many N.A. buyers opted for the DVD-GPS system on the vibe and matrix. i've not seen one yet. if many buyers were scooping it up GM (and others) might consider adding such toys to more vehicles, but i don't know if that's happening. and i wonder if GM N.A's poor history with passenger car diesels (chevette and a few buicks come to mind) is still keeping them out of our continent.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our diesel fuel is still too dirty for Opels current Hi-Tech Diesels. 2006 is the year that Diesel fuel refined in the US will not foul the common rail fuel delivery system, and the exhaust will not literally plug up the soot particulate trap........

Ken

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Yep, USA fuel usually has approx. 500ppm sulfur content, Sweden (for example) has more like 50ppm sulfur.

Try to run 500ppm sulfur into a "modern" diesel and bye-bye injection pump (however, most really "modern" diesels, ie, the Opel TiD and GM-Isuzu Duramax Diesel don't have injection pumps, thanks to new technology).

You are also looking at the top-of-the line Astras. Show me the diesel hubcapped 3-door cloth seat radio-free value leader and the cost isn't so bad..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts