1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General Motors launches new electric-vehicle fleet charging service
July 15, 2021
Lucas Manfredi FOXBusiness

General Motors is doubling down on its push to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles with the unveiling of its Ultium Charge 360 service for fleet customers.

Ultium Charge 360 will help customers of GM Fleet, OnStar Business Solutions and the automaker's EV startup BrightDrop identify providers, tools and solutions to "plan, finance, deploy and operate charging infrastructure in fleet yards and depots." It will also provide drivers with access to more than 60,000 public charging locations while on-the-go as well as home charging.

GM's Ultium Charge 360 partners include Duke Energy's eTransEnergy, EVgo, In-Charge Energy and Schneider Electric, which will offer access to on-the-go and depot charging. Meanwhile, through a partnership with Qmerit, General Motors will offer fleet customers installations for home charging.

"Commercial fleets will soon have more confidence and convenience when it comes to electrifying their fleet," GM's lead architect for EV Infrastructure Alex Keros said in a statement. "Expanding charging infrastructure is a critical part of our work toward an all-electric future and with our preferred providers, we expect to be able to offer our customers charging, software and product solutions that fit their business needs."

More at link

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
60,000 charging stations....Quite a few chargers available!

I know all we get is glorified press releases, but I'm really impressed that GM does appear to be thoroughly thinking through their change to BEV and the launch of these new BEV related business lines. Something I don't think we can say of GM for the past 50 or so years.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,753 Posts
but I'm really impressed that GM does appear to be thoroughly thinking through their change to BEV and the launch of these new BEV related business lines. Something I don't think we can say of GM for the past 50 or so years.
+1
Also impressive is the level of collaboration between GM and other companies. The "not invented here syndrome" so pervasive in GM's corporate culture over the past 50 years seems to be fading fast.

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1
Also impressive is the level of collaboration between GM and other companies. The "not invented here syndrome" so pervasive in GM's corporate culture over the past 50 years seems to be fading fast.
MB has certainly made impressive changes to GM!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I’m much more interested in what Brightdrop will offer…like van sizes. Will there be s/m/l/xl? Will they be offered to the public? Will there be window models? Outfitter models? I think Brightdrop has the potential to be a brilliant move from GM.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
MB has certainly made impressive changes to GM!
I am tired of people acting like she was an affirmative action hire. She’s done more to improve GM’s bottom line, and to reposition GM as a forward-thinking company than any of their CEOs in my 52 years on this planet.

She inherited the ignition switch scandal in the early days of her tenure as CEO, and guided GM as well as could be expected in those circumstances, fended off FCA’s attempt at a hostile merger, presided over the development of the most advanced battery platform to date with UltIum platform, which is so impressive she lured Honda into a joint venture orbiting around that technology, shed near dead weight, navigating GM to record profits, and leading GM to their highest market cap ever.

She achieved all of that despite GM’s handicap as the consumer advocate industry’s whipping boy. We get headlines about how GM ran out of microchips, implicitly asserting this was a GM failure rather than an industry-wide crisis and other such anti-GM shenanigans on every issue affecting the entirety of the automotive industry.

It is hard to be GM’s CEO with the hyper-irrational 15-dimensional hatred the media and consumer advocates have towards GM. You try to raise GM’s market cap by 5%, muchless to record levels. Go ahead. Try. The Voyager space probe will make it to the Andromeda Galaxy and back before 99.99999% of you get close.

Mary Barra has guided the the most hated company on earth to the closest its been to a Wall Street darling at least since Ralph Nader laid all the pathologies of the automotive industry at GM’s feet in the 1960s.

She’s a damned good CEO.

She deserved the job.

GM is damned lucky to have her.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Mary Barra has guided the the most hated company on earth to the closest its been to a Wall Street darling at least since Ralph Nader laid all the pathologies of the automotive industry at GM’s feet in the 1960s.

She’s a damned good CEO.

She deserved the job.

I agree that Mary Barra is a good CEO. If she was involved in approving the Ultium Charge 360 service offering, kudos to Barra.

But your assertion that GM "the most hated company on earth" is not true. Not even close. Nor is GM "the consumer advocate industry’s whipping boy". As of 2021, GM's handicaps are all self inflicted.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I am tired of people acting like she was an affirmative action hire. She’s done more to improve GM’s bottom line, and to reposition GM as a forward-thinking company than any of their CEOs in my 52 years on this planet.

She inherited the ignition switch scandal in the early days of her tenure as CEO, and guided GM as well as could be expected in those circumstances, fended off FCA’s attempt at a hostile merger, presided over the development of the most advanced battery platform to date with UltIum platform, which is so impressive she lured Honda into a joint venture orbiting around that technology, shed near dead weight, navigating GM to record profits, and leading GM to their highest market cap ever.

She achieved all of that despite GM’s handicap as the consumer advocate industry’s whipping boy. We get headlines about how GM ran out of microchips, implicitly asserting this was a GM failure rather than an industry-wide crisis and other such anti-GM shenanigans on every issue affecting the entirety of the automotive industry.

It is hard to be GM’s CEO with the hyper-irrational 15-dimensional hatred the media and consumer advocates have towards GM. You try to raise GM’s market cap by 5%, muchless to record levels. Go ahead. Try. The Voyager space probe will make it to the Andromeda Galaxy and back before 99.99999% of you get close.

She’s a damned good CEO.

She deserved the job.

You were on to something other than the fake victimhood stuff.

·
Registered
18,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that Mary Barra is a good CEO. If she was involved in approving the Ultium Charge 360 service offering, kudos to Barra.

But your assertion that GM "the most hated company on earth" is not true. Not even close. Nor is GM "the consumer advocate industry’s whipping boy". As of 2021, GM's handicaps are all self inflicted.
Facebook, Google and CNN top my list!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,660 Posts
60,000 charging stations....Quite a few chargers available!

I know all we get is glorified press releases, but I'm really impressed that GM does appear to be thoroughly thinking through their change to BEV and the launch of these new BEV related business lines. Something I don't think we can say of GM for the past 50 or so years.
+1
Yes, this is all well and good, but I'm getting impatient. I want to see some more things hit the dealers.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Whoo-hooo that new fleet charging service will put the Lightning in its place.

Nope, another addition solely for Wall St. Does nothing for me
True, but I presume that you don't manage a fleet of EV yet. ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
it Is swell the GM is looking to assist fleets with charging. As a Bolt owner I want a decent public charging network so I can drive beyond my local community. I let my son in Jacksonville borrow the Bolt for a month. He had to drive 15 miles to a EVGo charging station and it took 55 minutes for 80% charge and cost $22. It was 88 degrees. Not acceptable.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
+1
I see the positive change and open-mindedness in other GM products too. For example getting rid of the dumbest DEF tank location on their HDs and getting IRS on their full size SUVs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
it Is swell the GM is looking to assist fleets with charging. As a Bolt owner I want a decent public charging network so I can drive beyond my local community. I let my son in Jacksonville borrow the Bolt for a month. He had to drive 15 miles to a EVGo charging station and it took 55 minutes for 80% charge and cost $22. It was 88 degrees. Not acceptable.
If things like this bother you then the issue is you not GM.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Yes, but having an EV (or borrowing one long term) does mean you should have the facilities to charge it at home (most of the time). At LEAST a dedicated 240 line for a charger. And a public charger SHOULD be at a location offering dining, shopping, whatever, that gives the driver a place to go, out of the weather (hot or cold) while waiting. In that context, 55 minutes for an 80% charge, for $22 is acceptable.

And with the charger infrastructure growing and improving, even these numbers should improve.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Does he have access to charge at wherever he lives overnight? If he doesn't it's kind of setting him up to fail and have a negative outlook on EVs. Right now in 2021, you need to either have your own home, live at an apartment complex, or work at an office that has chargepoints for EVs work for you, otherwise, you're going to run into a ton of inconveniences.

Over time, and definitely by 2035, this should get sorted out to where you won't need to fall under either category.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts