GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General Motors' Europe Unit to Suspend Work at All Factories

Oct. 7 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp.'s European unit plans to reduce production by about 40,000 vehicles by the end of the year as credit-market turmoil deflates demand, and is suspending operations at all plants in the region this month.

The Adam Opel brand's factory in Eisenach, Germany will start a three-week production pause next week, while the plant in Bochum, Germany, is in the second week of a two-week closure, Andreas Kroemer, a spokesman for the Ruesselsheim, Germany-based division, said in a telephone interview.

``The financial crisis is impacting demand,'' Kroemer said. ``We don't want to stockpile.''

Car sales slid 16 percent in Europe in August, the biggest monthly decline since 1999, and GM's brands based in the region suffered an 18 percent drop, according to the Brussels-based European Automobile Manufacturers' Association. Automakers such as Bayerische Motoren Werke AG and Daimler AG, the world's two biggest makers of luxury vehicles, have been reducing production in recent weeks in response to the slide in demand.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aBbsfAhq6oms&refer=home

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Well that's not good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well that's not good.
And now the cyclical effective of decreasing supply leading to decreasing demand begins. I can not fault them for the decision but this is a great example of the USA controlling the financial situation of the whole world.

For the record, GM, I am only not buying a new car right now becuase my leases are not up. See yah in a year!

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
So it's a global recession...crap! :(

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
stick a fork in 'em, GM is all done. tried warning people about Red Ink Rick. some tho will say "oh poor Rick, he did his best". I say the shareholders are getting what they deserve for leaving an incompetent in charge. time to start packing, this ship is going down. knew it for sure while in Columbus this weekend, nothing but Toyotas and Hondas everywhere...sickening since so avoidable.

·
Registered
348 Posts
stick a fork in 'em, GM is all done. tried warning people about Red Ink Rick. some tho will say "oh poor Rick, he did his best". I say the shareholders are getting what they deserve for leaving an incompetent in charge. time to start packing, this ship is going down. knew it for sure while in Columbus this weekend, nothing but Toyotas and Hondas everywhere...sickening since so avoidable.
So how is "Red-Ink Rick" responsible for the global economy sinking again? You really need to buy a life, if you can't find one.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
So how is "Red-Ink Rick" responsible for the global economy sinking again? You really need to buy a life, if you can't find one.
let's see Toyota is worth $122 Billion. leave Red Ink Rick around long enough and we'll lose that much. the world's once mightiest company now struggles to survive and that my friend is his fault. excuses, excuses, he sucks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
let's see Toyota is worth $122 Billion. leave Red Ink Rick around long enough and we'll lose that much. the world's once mightiest company now struggles to survive and that my friend is his fault. excuses, excuses, he sucks.

This has nothing to do with the way Rick Wagoner has managed the company, in fact Europe has been a bright spot for GM the last few years, because Chevrolet has become very popular there. In fact, the Chevrolet brand has been in Europe for only 3 or 4 years, but Chevy is now outselling the Toyota brand, which has been established in Europe for far longer.

If you had bothered to read the article, you would have read that the whole auto industry is cutting production, including Toyota.

The bottom line, if you want to criticize RW, please make it relevant to the article and be prepared to use facts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You have no clue do you?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Come on answer man, now's your chance!
buy it up and pose a takeover! You keep talking but you never start walking!:confused:
Someone needs to save the day and you have the key right?!
With all due respect sir, I speak for myself when I say "flappin your lips will do nothing to fix the problem, only encourage more GM bashing and is not constructive at all. Please stop pointing fingers and stick to the topic please."

Im done now

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
This has nothing to do with the way Rick Wagoner has managed the company, in fact Europe has been a bright spot for GM the last few years, because Chevrolet has become very popular there. In fact, the Chevrolet brand has been in Europe for only 3 or 4 years, but Chevy is now outselling the Toyota brand, which has been established in Europe for far longer.

If you had bothered to read the article, you would have read that the whole auto industry is cutting production, including Toyota.

The bottom line, if you want to criticize RW, please make it relevant to the article and be prepared to use facts.
Thank you
mikesright is....well ...right!

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
Come on answer man, now's your chance!
buy it up and pose a takeover! You keep talking but you never start walking!:confused:
Someone needs to save the day and you have the key right?!
With all due respect sir, I speak for myself when I say "flappin your lips will do nothing to fix the problem, only encourage more GM bashing and is not constructive at all. Please stop pointing fingers and stick to the topic please."

Im done now
ok. topic is lowered production due to lower sales. that's what I am talking about, how to sell cars. trust me, I know what I'm talking about here.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
ok. topic is lowered production due to lower sales. that's what I am talking about, how to sell cars. trust me, I know what I'm talking about here.
Actually you are talking about your strangly obsessive hatred for Rick Wagoneer and is not on topic. Europe slowed production because all auto sales are slow because of the failure of wall street selling bad paper to other countries and creating a world wide economic slow down. Whixch RW had nothing to do with.
So no.....you are off topic.
Why not proceed with your overthrow of GM management and fix the world for us pal!
Oh thats right
you can't

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
YA! And sack Dr. Z and Bernd Pischetsrieder while you're at it too. Their garbage companies are cutting European production too! Those guys don't know how to run anything. I say Merge all 3 and put you in charge! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
stick a fork in 'em, GM is all done. time to start packing, this ship is going down.
REALLY?!?!? They're done? So of course you're selling your franchise and getting out right? Jumping ship? Shutting down? Shutting up? Please tell me you're just walking away. Please!

Well, you heard it here first folks, Buick Blowhard just announced that GM is done. And being such a smart businessman, he must be leaving his GM dealership days behind him.

Well, we're sure gonna miss you around here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...actually, let it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts