1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LINK

General Motors said:
DETROIT – For more than 20 years, General Motors’ OnStar brand has empowered customers to drive with confidence, offering services that provide added peace of mind on the road. GM announced today it will take its relentless focus on safety and delivering a world-class customer experience one step further with OnStar Insurance. GM’s new insurance agency, OnStar Insurance Services, will be the exclusive agent for OnStar Insurance.

A vehicle is one of the most significant purchases a person will make during their lifetime. OnStar Insurance Services intends to leverage its unique understanding of the vehicles GM produces to offer a secure, fair, personalized and easy-to-use digital insurance experience for drivers.

Starting with Arizona residents, OnStar Insurance Services will initially offer OnStar Insurance to GM employees in Q4 2020, expanding to additional customers, including the general public, in early 2021.

Learn more at https://www.onstarinsurance.com/.

·
Premium Member
32,725 Posts
Ah, just another one of those, let’s increase revenue from non traditional sources type set up. If it doesn’t come with maps and safety and security on star service’s, it’s got to be cheaper than geico to make sense

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, just another one of those, let’s increase revenue from non traditional sources type set up
+1
GM pioneered this type of business strategy in the automotive industry with the original OnStar service almost 25 years ago.

·
Premium Member
32,725 Posts
+1
GM pioneered this type of business strategy in the automotive industry with the original OnStar service almost 25 years ago.
I used to pay for OnStar, however, the cellular technology has almost rendered it useless, safe for when they book a hotel for you on short notice, that’s nice, like, I am 45 minutes away from Vegas, could you find me a room under this amount of money.. bam, 15 minutes later, here is directions to your hotel.. downloading.. that makes one grow a big head

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
OnStar is pointless and needs to be retired. I will never pay for it. And I'd never trust an insurance company run by GM - what a joke.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
One benefit of Onstar insurance would be I'm certain GM would require proper GM replacement parts in any accident claims. As a former body shop owner I can share that nearly every auto insurer pushes for inferior aftermarket parts once a vehicle is over a year old.

·
Registered
20,105 Posts
+1
Phrased another way....................

GM has been trying for ~25 years to make money on OnStar.

------------------------------

I've been in the Allstate "DriveWise" program, knowing how much, when and how you drive has always impacted your rates, but today with "telematics" they have a more accurate way to track/confirm it. GM will have this info at their fingertips.

"Back in the Day" I could just tell Allstate "I drive this car on weekends, less than 5,000 miles a year".

- Despite the vehicle behind ~5 years old and only having 25,000 miles, they refused to take my word for it.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
One benefit of Onstar insurance would be I'm certain GM would require proper GM replacement parts in any accident claims. As a former body shop owner I can share that nearly every auto insurer pushes for inferior aftermarket parts once a vehicle is over a year old.
You can probably get that with your current insurance - at a premium. It would be no different if GM offered it. Your other option is to pay the difference at the shop when they're doing the repairs.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You can probably get that with your current insurance - at a premium. It would be no different if GM offered it. Your other option is to pay the difference at the shop when they're doing the repairs.
Point being that since GM already owns and produces the parts(and Onstar) it can offer a volume discount to Onstar insurance customers while offering premium genuine GM parts on ALL repairs, a true competitive advantage. Done correctly, this would be a great marketing and sales factor.

·
Premium Member
35,450 Posts
And the bigger most biggliest problem is that all the insurance companies have great PR firms. Their ads are IMO the best on the tube.

GM continues to employ and endorse Half Fast Ad Company, Limited (in talent). They can OnStar up the wazoo, but 90% of the driving public will be unaware because of their pitiful PR department.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Point being that since GM already owns and produces the parts(and Onstar) it can offer a volume discount to Onstar insurance customers while offering premium genuine GM parts on ALL repairs, a true competitive advantage. Done correctly, this would be a great marketing and sales factor.
Maybe, I guess. I really just doubt that anybody cares that much about the pedigree of the repair parts. Unless it's a collectible vehicle or something. Aftermarket is just as good in most cases.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I'm guessing this is pretty simple: GM can track your driving behaviors much more easily than a 3rd party insurance company (who, at best, have to convince you to install new widget in your car to get a subset of that info). If so, this is all about having a lot more data on you to estimate your risk profile more accurately than anyone else can.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Maybe, I guess. I really just doubt that anybody cares that much about the pedigree of the repair parts. Unless it's a collectible vehicle or something. Aftermarket is just as good in most cases.
Chinese aftermarket parts are hardly "just as good in most cases". Acceptable from a distance perhaps, but not just as good. While they have improved somewhat, fit is often horrible on body panels and trim pieces. I slogged my 20 years in the industry, OEM quality is considerably better in nearly all cases.

·
Premium Member
32,725 Posts
The trick with that is to have Your vehicle towed to a GM facility, I was once rammed by a girl with wawanisa insurance, the conversation with her agent was so predictable, like, you need to move your car to one of our approved repairs facilities, my answer was, I knew you were going to try and pull a stunt like this, that is why I took it to a GM facility since they are required to use only genuine OEM parts..

Loong silence, then,, ok...

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Phrased another way....................

GM has been trying for ~25 years to make money on OnStar.
You got it Ed753. The original OnStar service is a perfect example of where GM's engineering capabilities exceeded its marketing capabilities. EDS (now DXC) and Hughes (now DirecTV) - both GM subsidiaries at the time - worked with engineers at the GM Technical Center in Warren, Michigan to create it, making GM the first automotive OEM to offer satellite based telematics services in its vehicles.

As Neanderthal mentioned, GM's marketing and PR dweebs remain several steps behind their counterparts in the property and casualty insurance industry.

·
Premium Member
35,450 Posts
I'm guessing this is pretty simple: GM can track your driving behaviors much more easily than a 3rd party insurance company (who, at best, have to convince you to install new widget in your car to get a subset of that info). If so, this is all about having a lot more data on you to estimate your risk profile more accurately than anyone else can.
That's it in a nutshell. And I do mean nutshell. ConStar is a spy agency, just like Google and all the other tech freaks/geeks. Watch enough COPS episodes--if they ever come back on in PC Universe--and you'll see the cops contact Con* to turn off a vehicle's power during a chase. That would be a GM vehicle only. A little good with a whole lotta bad.

The trick with that is to have Your vehicle towed to a GM facility, I was once rammed by a girl with wawanisa insurance, the conversation with her agent was so predictable, like, you need to move your car to one of our approved repairs facilities, my answer was, I knew you were going to try and pull a stunt like this, that is why I took it to a GM facility since they are required to use only genuine OEM parts..

Loong silence, then,, ok...
Ha. What is that insurance company? Is it Havana-based?

You got it Ed753. The original OnStar service is a perfect example of where GM's engineering capabilities exceeded its marketing capabilities. EDS (now DXC) and Hughes (now DirecTV) - both GM subsidiaries at the time - worked with engineers at the GM Technical Center in Warren, Michigan to create it, making GM the first automotive OEM to offer satellite based telematics services in its vehicles.

As Neanderthal mentioned, GM's marketing and PR dweebs remain several steps behind their counterparts in the property and casualty insurance industry.
Yeah. Schwinn bicycles engineering capabilities exceed GM's "marketing" capabilities. And thanks for the mention, gkr, but I think GM's "PR" folks are more than a few steps behind. They would never make it through the first week of Basic Training, they don't know how to march and it appears they probably will never learn. $3 billion/year down the sewer. They're almost like a government agency.

·
Premium Member
32,725 Posts
That's it in a nutshell. And I do mean nutshell. ConStar is a spy agency, just like Google and all the other tech freaks/geeks. Watch enough COPS episodes--if they ever come back on in PC Universe--and you'll see the cops contact Con* to turn off a vehicle's power during a chase. That would be a GM vehicle only. A little good with a whole lotta bad.

Ha. What is that insurance company? Is it Havana-based?

Yeah. Schwinn bicycles engineering capabilities exceed GM's "marketing" capabilities. And thanks for the mention, gkr, but I think GM's "PR" folks are more than a few steps behind. They would never make it through the first week of Basic Training, they don't know how to march and it appears they probably will never learn. $3 billion/year down the sewer. They're almost like a government agency.
woke Dweebs happily sign on to Tesla and other spy agencies to get the deals. They will even wear chips if asked by Musk

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I used to pay for OnStar, however, the cellular technology has almost rendered it useless, safe for when they book a hotel for you on short notice, that’s nice, like, I am 45 minutes away from Vegas, could you find me a room under this amount of money.. bam, 15 minutes later, here is directions to your hotel.. downloading.. that makes one grow a big head
Which head? ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts