GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,714 Posts
Ha, made me think of British cars - didn't they build a reputation of unreliable electronics? Going BEV will take that to a who new level :D

More of a joke comment before I get anyone upset, I'm sure modern electronics on British cars are much improved.
The British company Lucas Industries plc (now part of ZF) did have a reputation for unreliable automotive electrical systems in the mid 20th century. Some jokes about Lucas include:
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off. The other three switch settings - Smoke, Smolder and Burn.
But you are correct, modern electronics on British cars are much improved.

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
The British company Lucas Industries plc (now part of ZF) did have a reputation for unreliable automotive electrical systems in the mid 20th century. Some jokes about Lucas include:
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off. The other three switch settings - Smoke, Smolder and Burn.
Hahaa! Hadn't heard most of those!

The "dim, flicker and off" makes me think of how lighting has come a long way! Get behind any car from the 60's or earlier and you can barely see the brake lights during the day! Now, it is almost the opposite - ever been behind an Escalade at night? Those brake lights are almost blinding!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree - I think GM will boost spending again and again.

Momentum is on the side of EVs with oil prices rising again, environmental regulations increasing and costs decreasing.

Happy to see GM is moving with this flow - worry about Fiat Chrysler. Not much going on there.
Why would anybody on this site care what Fiat/Chrysler is doing? GM news!
That goes for the other manufacturers.

Where GM is going is what I wish you people would focus on. I mean this is a GM site, for people that follow GM.

What do you think is more important, the EV truck rollout or the EV crossover/sedan rollout?

Will GM still make more profit off EV trucks then EV cars? This has been the norm going back decades with gas and diesel vehicles.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There's a whole bunch of them here

·
Registered
18,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Love this one:
  • Why is there no death penalty in England? Lucas makes electric chairs.
Has anyone ever read why British cars of the past tended to have so many electrical problems? I assume they really were that bad - but what in their processes or designs led to that where manufacturers from other countries didn't seem to have such an extensive problem?

·
Premium Member
35,869 Posts
Joseph Lucas was referred to as The Prince of Darkness.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts