·
Registered
18,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At first I saw a picture of the Hummer and misinterpreted the title to mean the Hummer's price is going up! Pays to read and not make assumptions :D

That's some serious money! But wow - pales next to VW. Though I'd be intreested to compare, side by side, what VW is doing vs. GM - they could be adding normal operational monies into the $86B just to pump up the number to impress Wall Street and/or throw off competitors.

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
General Motors announced that it would increase its investment in electric and autonomous vehicles to $35 billion through 2025. The new figure represents a 30 percent increase over the amount the automaker said it would spend last November, and a 75 percent increase from its initial investment prior to the pandemic.
Seems like a large number, but is actually less than half what VW is spending on its own EV investment.
Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Maybe they're allocating funds to fast track product to market....they should place a priority on not falling behind on penetration.

Reactions: ksr

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,626 Posts
Maybe they're allocating funds to fast track product to market....they should place a priority on not falling behind on penetration.
True. Maybe they realized that they could possibly be falling behind, so upping the ante so to speak with this new 30% increase.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
True. Maybe they realized that they could possibly be falling behind, so upping the ante so to speak with this new 30% increase.
Whatever it is...they really need to get on w/ getting product on the street...and I'm not talking $70,000-$115,000 Hummers...they need to be hitting the 35-60k area hard with midsized 2 row crossovers and sedans...yes I said sedans. Get volume and butts in seats because once those customers go elsewhere it'll be hard to get them back to GM.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
General Motors announced that it would increase its investment in electric and autonomous vehicles to $35 billion through 2025. The new figure represents a 30 percent increase over the amount the automaker said it would spend last November, and a 75 percent increase from its initial investment prior to the pandemic.

More at link
The interesting thing is while spending has dramatically increased, the product roll-out hasn't.

Imagine building a 2,500 sq. ft. house and spending 1.0 million, then a year or so later say you are going to spend 1.75 million on the house, but the size didn't change........

Odd, to say the least - usually spending is looked at negatively, lately its been the opposite.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
The interesting thing is while spending has dramatically increased, the product roll-out hasn't.

Imagine building a 2,500 sq. ft. house and spending 1.0 million, then a year or so later say you are going to spend 1.75 million on the house, but the size didn't change........

Odd, to say the least - usually spending is looked at negatively, lately its been the opposite.
Did GM provide an update on product plans along with the spending increase announcement? I don't see it in the article (or perhaps I missed it), so do we know the rollout plans haven't changed? Plus even if the number of planned models haven't changed, the increased spending may allow an earlier ramp or a higher volume overall.

I do agree that it's weird that spending in itself has become something to brag about (as opposed to what that spending will get you).

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,108 Posts

Can't have an EV without first having a battery.

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Good point, I hadn't thought of it in those terms. So, we now have two ways to think about this - increased spending on unnamed projects or simply cost increases of previously announced plans. Or, perhaps a mix of both.

I can see costs going up to build all of these plants, equipment, etc., but 30% seems high. Or, perhaps some of their recently announced plans weren't part of the original $25B investment. For example, when they announced the $25B, perhaps something like the partnership with Wabtec's electric freight locomotives hadn't been envisioned.

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
You ain't seen nothing yet.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
With the announcement they are further accelerating the product rollout and pulled ahead the construction of another two battery factories to before 2025. Those two factories adds another $5 billion alone assuming they are similar to the first two.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
Did GM provide an update on product plans along with the spending increase announcement? I don't see it in the article (or perhaps I missed it), so do we know the rollout plans haven't changed? Plus even if the number of planned models haven't changed, the increased spending may allow an earlier ramp or a higher volume overall.
Not that I am aware of, that's my point here.

I do agree that it's weird that spending in itself has become something to brag about (as opposed to what that spending will get you).
I guess, I'm too 'old school' when costs and spends were looked at negatively.
- The assumption is that all spending is right, just and efficient!

Can't have an EV without first having a battery.
Hopefully buyers follow close behind?.........

With the announcement they are further accelerating the product rollout and pulled ahead the construction of another two battery factories to before 2025. Those two factories adds another $5 billion alone assuming they are similar to the first two.
Could be, appears to be going "all-in" as I stated above, "The assumption is that all spending is right, just and efficient!"

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,314 Posts
You ain't seen nothing yet.
I agree - I think GM will boost spending again and again.

Momentum is on the side of EVs with oil prices rising again, environmental regulations increasing and costs decreasing.

Happy to see GM is moving with this flow - worry about Fiat Chrysler. Not much going on there.

·
Registered
332 Posts
So far VW's Electric cars except for Audi are horrible looking in person. I wouldn't trust anything Electrical with VW anyway. Everyone i know that owned one said they are electrical nightmares. Can't imagine how bad they will be when fully electric.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So far VW's Electric cars except for Audi are horrible looking in person. I wouldn't trust anything Electrical with VW anyway. Everyone i know that owned one said they are electrical nightmares. Can't imagine how bad they will be when fully electric.
ELECTRIFYING??

·
Registered
18,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ha, made me think of British cars - didn't they build a reputation of unreliable electronics? Going BEV will take that to a who new level :D

More of a joke comment before I get anyone upset, I'm sure modern electronics on British cars are much improved.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts