GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word Mark G8

Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Motor vehicles, namely, automobiles, sport utility vehicles, trucks, vans, engines therefor and structural parts thereof

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 78433843

Filing Date June 11, 2004

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) General Motors Corporation CORPORATION DELAWARE 300 Renaissance Center, P.O. Box 300 Detroit MICHIGAN 482653000

Attorney of Record Charles H. Ellerbrock

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

here is the result from TARR

Thank you for your request. Here are the latest results from the TARR web server.

This page was generated by the TARR system on 2004-06-19 10:18:45 ET

Serial Number: 78433843

Registration Number: (NOT AVAILABLE)

Mark

(words only): G8

Standard Character claim: Yes

Current Status: Newly filed application, not yet assigned to an examining attorney.

Date of Status: 2004-06-15

Filing Date: 2004-06-11

Transformed into a National Application: No

Registration Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Register: Principal

Law Office Assigned: LAW OFFICE 108

If you are the applicant or applicant's attorney and have questions about this file, please contact the Trademark Assistance Center at [email protected]

Current Location: 011 -Initial Review/Serialization Branch(Mailroom)

Date In Location: 2004-06-15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. General Motors Corporation

Address:
General Motors Corporation
300 Renaissance Center, P.O. Box 300
Detroit, MI 482653000
United States
Legal Entity Type: Corporation
State or Country of Incorporation: Delaware
Phone Number: 313-665-4967
Fax Number: 313-665-4977

GOODS AND/OR SERVICES

Motor vehicles, namely, automobiles, sport utility vehicles, trucks, vans, engines therefor and structural parts thereof
International Class: 012
First Use Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)
First Use in Commerce Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Basis: 1(B)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(NOT AVAILABLE)

MADRID PROTOCOL INFORMATION

(NOT AVAILABLE)

PROSECUTION HISTORY

2004-06-17 - New Application Entered In Tram

CONTACT INFORMATION

Correspondent
Charles H. Ellerbrock (Attorney of record)

Charles H. Ellerbrock
General Motors Corporation
Mail Code 482-C23-B21
300 Renaissance Center, P.O. Box 300
Detroit, MI 48265-3000
Phone Number: 313-665-4709
Fax Number: 313-665-4977

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Sweet! I like G8 a lot better than Bonneville... But wouldn't it seem more logical to have the Grand Prix be G8, and Bonneville G9... Or maybe they will make the Grand Prix GP, and the Bonny G8...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 19 2004, 09:45 AM
Sweet! I like G8 a lot better than Bonneville... But wouldn't it seem more logical to have the Grand Prix be G8, and Bonneville G9... Or maybe they will make the Grand Prix GP, and the Bonny G8...
I think the G8 will be replacing both the Bonneville and Grand Prix. There really isn't any need for two full size sedans in Pontiac's lineup, especially with the G6 offering more rear legroom than the Grand Prix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had to refresh my memory on the G8, it was first unveiled back in 2000 as a AWD Grand Prix G8 powered by a Ls-1 V8. I'll just cut and paste an article to here.

Pontiac Grand Prix G8
By Ed Hellwig
Date Posted 11-21-2000

Concept cars often evoke feelings of excitement, awe and a little disappointment.

On one hand, their dazzling sheetmetal, pumped up engines, and futuristic technology conjure up ideas of Jetsons-like capability in a real-life model.

On the other hand, their exotic components and one-off designs almost guarantee their absence from showrooms anytime in the near future.

With Pontiac's Grand Prix G8, the excitement stems not only from the rakish bodywork and the onboard DVD, but the possibility, considering its use of off-the-shelf components, that some day soon we might actually get to drop in on a Pontiac dealer and order one of our own.

Although the current Grand Prix Coupe is already a capable performer with its 240-horsepower supercharged V6 and sport-tuned suspension, the G8 takes Pontiac's top-of-the-line coupe to a whole other level.

Central to the G8's enhanced capability is the 5.7-liter, LS-1-derived V8 under the hood. For those of you not familiar with GM's alphanumeric engine designations, the LS-1 is the same engine currently residing in the Corvette and Camaro/Firebird twins. This version thumps out 350 horsepower with the help of one and five-eighths of an inch headers, a 3-inch dual exhaust, and a Ram-air induction hood. Considering the number of 300+ horsepower coupes currently available (none), these numbers would surely draw some serious attention to the often-overlooked Grand Prix.

Another surefire attention-getter is the G8's Versatrak all-wheel-drive system. Swiped from the soon-to-be-released all-wheel-drive Aztek, Pontiac engineers reconfigured the standard Grand Prix's front-wheel-drive layout to accommodate a rear axle and a fully independent suspension. Power is sent through a standard four-speed transmission, but there's little doubt that the T56 six-speed gearbox from the near-death Firebird could be easily adapted to give the G8 a true super coupe pedigree.

To give the G8 a look to match its brutish drivetrain, Pontiac lowered the car an inch and added monster 19-inch by 9.5-inch wheels wrapped in 255/40ZR19 Eagle F1 tires. Flared fenders attempt to contain the massive rolling stock, while 13-inch cross-drilled brake rotors up front and 12-inch discs in the rear are employed to clamp them down. A GTO-style spoiler, hood-mounted tachometer, and oversized exhaust outlets are the finishing touches on the sinister-looking coupe.

Inside, the tricked out two-door sports black chrome door handles and special dash accents to spruce up the already futuristic interior. Custom leather seats and door panels give the coupe an upscale look, while rear passengers can enjoy DVDs on the flat panel video display.

So what are the chances that the G8 will grace the lot of a Pontiac dealer near you someday? Not good in our best estimation.

Although the parts are there, it's doubtful that Pontiac will devote any additional resources toward a car that is set for a complete redesign in 2003. With enough positive feedback on the G8, however, Pontiac might be persuaded to devote more time to developing a similar car based on the new platform.

So if you drooled over the G8 as much as we did, take the time to let Pontiac know at their product suggestion site.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I love my Bonneville, but I do have to admit it is kind of a frou-frou name for a sporty sedan from Pontiac.

Reminds me of names like "Parisienne" or "Grande Ville" (spelling?) or something....

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
GM should stick with Bonneville and Grand Prix

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes, going alphanumeric seems very much like me-too-ism. I hate that crap. Spend the 20 minutes it would take to come up with a name. How can you say...I love my 23H-7i? No one says...I love my C5, they say, I love my Corvette.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Jun 19 2004, 01:05 PM
Yes, going alphanumeric seems very much like me-too-ism. I hate that crap. Spend the 20 minutes it would take to come up with a name. How can you say...I love my 23H-7i? No one says...I love my C5, they say, I love my Corvette.
I love my 911.
I love my G35.
I love my M3.
I love my FX45.
I love my 600SL.
I love my ...OK you get the picture. :lol:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Back in the early 1980's, Pontiac started using numbers for some cars. Fortunately, that idea went no further than the Pontiac 1000 and 6000 and the J2000 later was renamed Sunfire. If the G6 does not sell well, I can see Pontiac using the Grand Am name again.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Originally posted by ehaase@Jun 19 2004, 07:47 PM
Back in the early 1980's, Pontiac started using numbers for some cars. Fortunately, that idea went no further than the Pontiac 1000 and 6000 and the J2000 later was renamed Sunfire. If the G6 does not sell well, I can see Pontiac using the Grand Am name again.
I agree. Sometimes the name game is cyclical. Look at ford eskewing it's "Taurus" name for the "500". And all the other "old" names coming back. It depends on the reputation of the company and vehicle it sells. Honda and Toyota would be nuts to drop the Accord and Camry names. As would Chevy if it dropped the Corvette name. Conversely, the Taurus was looking old and Ford felt like it had lost its magic. That is also why the Koreans kept changing there car names over the years like the Excel to the Accent.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I'm thinking the G8 will be the new GP. Bonny is gonzo.

I hate these names. Grand Prix is all good as is and a very old and sturdy name plate!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 28 2004, 07:51 PM
I think they should just call the Grand Prix GP, no Grand Prix, just GP
Then Pontiac should become just P because Pontiac is just so old.
Buick can be B
Caddy can be C
GMC can be G
Saturn can be S
Chevy can be oh no C was taken ok deep breath what are we going to rename name Chevy
Look Germany has alpha numeric and numeric only names because they lack imagination.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 19 2004, 04:49 PM
I love my Bonneville, but I do have to admit it is kind of a frou-frou name for a sporty sedan from Pontiac.

Reminds me of names like "Parisienne" or "Grande Ville" (spelling?) or something....
Youve never heard of Bonneville salt flats?
:huh: :blink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts