GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I won't be ragged on for this but it's my dad's '92 Civic...

I replaced the front pads and rotors cuz they were warped. The rear hardware was fine though I decided to bleed all 4 corners to get fresh fluid in there.

The thing is now, the first time you press the brake pedal the car will stop but it'll go down to the floor, but any pumps after that are normal. You have to not press it for maybe 20 seconds for the long pedal to come back.

My dad hasn't owned it very long but the master cylinder looks to be rather new/rebuilt. After we found out it was acting up we rebled all the lines twice for a total of three times. First with my younger brother at the pedal and me operating the bleeders, then him again, then my dad at the pedal. All 3 of us understand bleeding and have done it plenty of times, so I don't think we're doing anything wrong there. I've been careful not to let the reservoir go dry. We haven't had any leaks or issues with the system before this.

What do you guys suggest?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
92 Civic, does it have ABS? Probably not.
4 wheel disk or disk/drum?
Its possible you have a caliper that is hanging up, causing a problem with fluid flow. Did you check for any leaks when you hit the brakes? Any fluid on the ground after applying the brakes? Could be a master problem.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
How'd you manage to open bleeder valves on a 1992 Michigan car ;) I always try to avoid touching those damn things because they always break from rust.

It looks like you have bad seals in the master cylinder, typical cause for the "pumping up" feel. Maybe there is a part of the cylinder that is a different diameter or "not smooth" and when bleeding you pushed the piston further than it has ever gone before and damaged the seal.

Might be something weird in a caliper though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Bad master cylinder.

Often shows up high mileage stuff after component replacement. You shouldn't ever push the pedal all the way to the floor while bleeding because it can damage the seals.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
did you make sure you got all the air out of it, and did you change the rear drum adjustment at all

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys...

Saabr: my dad just picked it up from Georgia :D

I'm certain that I have all the air out of the lines. I did not remove the rear drums or really touch anything back there because they still felt to be in-adjustment.

I'll keep that in mind not to step the pedal to the floor while bleeding...I didn't know that

No ABS, rear drums. No visible leaks anywhere.

I picked up another rebuilt master cylinder tonight ($39) and will try it out again tomorrow. I suppose the rebuilt one that's on it now was about to act up and the pumping while bleeding the system made it go. Thanks again and will keep you guys updated

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put on a fresh master cylinder this morning with bench bleeding and bleeding all 4's again...NO CHANGE:(. It's out at my dad's mechanic's shop, and he thinks it need to be bled with a power bleeder. I guess we'll see in a few days.

I've heard of power bleeders and it sounds like they would make the job easier but I've never had difficulty bleeding a system, even an identical '92 Civic

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Put on a fresh master cylinder this morning with bench bleeding and bleeding all 4's again...NO CHANGE:(. It's out at my dad's mechanic's shop, and he thinks it need to be bled with a power bleeder. I guess we'll see in a few days.

I've heard of power bleeders and it sounds like they would make the job easier but I've never had difficulty bleeding a system, even an identical '92 Civic
Sounds a bit fishy to me. I've NEVER had to power bleed any Honda in my time at the dealer.

Where are you starting and finishing? Honda recommends to usual furthest to closest.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
we have to power bleed alot of the early GM ABS systems, even some of the newer ones.

i dont like it personally. i'll stick with good ole 2 person method

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds a bit fishy to me. I've NEVER had to power bleed any Honda in my time at the dealer.

Where are you starting and finishing? Honda recommends to usual furthest to closest.
Hmm...I'm doing my usual route of starting with the passenger rear, driver's rear, passenger front, driver's front

1 - 11 of 11 Posts