GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOURCE: Motor Authority

Gene Stefanyshyn to succeed Corvette chief Tom Wallace

General Motors’ Corvette brand will lose its chief at the start of next month when Tom Wallace retires amid rumors of an indefinite hold on development of the C7 Corvette. His successor, Gene Stefanyshyn, is currently the vehicle line executive of rear-wheel-drive vehicles at GM, and will add the Corvette chief job to his duties.

No further comments on the future of the C7 Corvette program were forthcoming upon the confirmation of Wallace's retirement, reports Edmunds, but Stefanyshyn's appointment to the job indicates there is some future for the brand, however indefinite it may be at this point. The news of Wallace's retirement was announced by Corvette Racing Program Manager Doug Fehan at a museum event this weekend honoring the history of Corvette Racing.

Wallace began his career at GM initially through its Buick division back in 1970. He held several engineering positions focusing on engine technology and played a key role in the development of the turbocharged Buick Grand National coupes of the early 1980s. He has also competed in a number of GM-sponsored drag meets and road races, making him suitable for a position at the iconic Corvette brand.

Wallace only took the reins at Corvette in 2006, replacing Dave Hill as Corvette chief engineer and vehicle line executive (VLE) for performance cars. His relatively sudden move could be explained by rumors concerning the next-generation C7 Corvette, which could be indefinitely delayed due to upcoming CAFE regulations as well as GM's own financial problems, however the carmaker is yet to confirm the news.

MORE HERE

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
All I have to say is, Gene...don't **** it up! :mad: You got it?

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Previously, Wallace revealed that GM was already working on the next-generation Corvette, and that the current C6 would get an update in 2010.
I hope that despite this switch at the top, there is some major update for the Corvette in 2010. Even if they ddi a substantial update interior/exteriorwise but left the platform and powertrains untouched, I still think it would help to keep the car viable without a massive investment.

That's just me.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It's fine. Frankly everything is on hold until GM gets this whole Chrysler thing sorted out and they get some money in the bank.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I quickly glanced at the topic title and thought it said:
"Gwen Stefany to succeed Corvette chief Tom Wallace"

I almost spit my coffee all over my computer. :lmao:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I quickly glanced at the topic title and thought it said:
"Gwen Stefany to succeed Corvette chief Tom Wallace"

I almost spit my coffee all over my computer. :lmao:
I saw the same thing, I thought for a second. wow GM IS getting desperate for attention.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
The whole thing of Corvette and upcoming CAFE concerns does not make sense to me. CAFE is your FLEET AVERAGE. 30,000 Corvettes averaging 26mpg won't even cause a BLIP on the overall average for the entire corporation! The profit per vehicle combined with its public image benefit makes it worth it for what little damage it does to the fleet average. Give me a break, build the Vette as the badass it is, and lets get on with this!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Odd that Wallace is leaving after such a short term, whatever the reason. I certainly hope there isn't too much to read into the news.

...and played a key role in the development of the turbocharged Buick Grand National coupes of the early 1980s. He has also competed in a number of GM-sponsored drag meets and road races, making him suitable for a position at the iconic Corvette brand.
Pretty satisfying [partial] credentials to 'Vette enthusiasts, I'm sure.

...Wallace only took the reins at Corvette in 2006, replacing Dave Hill as Corvette chief engineer and vehicle line executive (VLE) for performance cars. His relatively sudden move could be explained by rumors concerning the next-generation C7 Corvette, which could be indefinitely delayed due to upcoming CAFE regulations as well as GM's own financial problems, however the carmaker is yet to confirm the news...
Will Porsche give up on the 911? Nissan the GT-R? BMW the M-series? Didn't think so. Given the presumed breadth of its future lineup-filled with Volts and Cruzes-GM absolutely should be able to justify a strong Corvette program. If not, they're more desperately pathetic than I thought.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Although it's sad to see Tom Wallace retire from the head of the Corvette Team, in a way it's not to hard to swallow for me even though Wallace was the right guy for the Chevy Corvette engineering and design team just as long as GM replaces him with someone who's worthy and someone who has the proper knowledge or expertise to make the next Vette even better than the current one. I think Gene Stefanyshyn would do just fine as Wallace's replacement but only time will tell.....

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I wonder if the C6 will soldier on much like the C3...

1968-1982.

2005-?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
to paraphrase mark twain: the rumors of Corvette's death have been greatly exaggerated:)

a Corvette team member recently asked me how to get the Corvette to 35 mpg. the core Corvette buyer wants a big, torquey V8. GM won't even put gdi on the gen iv LS, or afm/vvt in the Corvette. 3 or 4 valve pushrod heads would kick out significantly more power and it's not on the radar. maybe the reason they killed the ultra v8 is because they're amalgamating the dohc/ohv engines? certainly stefanyshyn will oversee the xlr.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into Tom retiring after only two years with Corvette. GM is offering some pretty good incentives for people to retire on November 1. I, for one, am taking it, as well as 41 of the 175 other salaried people at my plant.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Tom isnt happy about the C7 program, and he is taking this time to leave. He has done many great things for GM and enthuisiasts.
Gene is not also doing RWD programs AND Vette is he?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
it's interesting how mazda can have one team do several different cars concurrently, and gm has separate managers for rwd, corvette, fwd, cobalt et al...

gm only needs one manager per platform (or a few) and powertrain. we wonder why it takes them so long to bring a car to market, over budget, or not at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts