GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remember the Sebring? Well, Diamler-Chrysler sold the design to the Russian automaker GAZ. What they came up with is the Volga Siber.

The interior is virtually unchanged though.

"Today at the Interauto Show in Moscow GAZ Group presented its new car, the Siber (pronounced cyber).

Last April, GAZ Group acquired a platform from Chrysler. On this basis a new car was developed by British UltraMotive company.

Siber is fully adopted to Russian road conditions. Compared to its donor vehicle, it features stiffer suspension and higher ground clearance.

Basic specification of the car: 2.0-liter, 141 hp engine. Standard equipment includes air conditioning, two airbags, ABS, traction control, halogen headlights, hydraulic power steering, adjustable steering wheel, adjustable driver's seat, hi-fi system with six-speakers, electric mirrors etc. A basic Siber will cost around $18,000. In the future there will be 2.4 and 2.7-liter versions available. Also an automatic version will join later on.

Production of the Siber will be launched next March. In 2008 the plan is to produce 20,000 vehicles and 40,000 in 2009. Later on production volumes will depend on market requirements. Overall, the project capacity of the plant is 100,000 vehicles a year. The new plant utilizes advance welding and assembly process and also Haden-2 paintshop. Workers were trained at Chrysler and Magna Steyr factories.

Chrysler will assist in quality control, ensuring that Siber meets required quality.

The car will be sold through more than 70 Russian GAZ Group dealer centers. Sales, service and after-sales facilities were created from scratch for this project."

How much cash did Chrysler spend on our Sebring again?:(
I wonder if they'd import one of these for me.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It doesn't look better or worse to me. I wonder if they helped it's driving dynamics?

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
The previous-gen Sebring wasn't that bad. It was just a really basic, no-frills sedan that wasn't exactly awesomely built.

I can totally see it being a respectable car in developing markets.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The previous-gen Sebring wasn't that bad. It was just a really basic, no-frills sedan that wasn't exactly awesomely built.

I can totally see it being a respectable car in developing markets.
I completely agree. I rather liked the previous Sebring, I just like the Siber better. I like it 100 times better than the current Sebring though.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Really shows how far Chysler design has fallen.

The "cloud cars" (because they all had cloud-related names) were on the cutting edge of design when they were introduced. The second generation watered down the original design, but at least was still fairly clean and balanced.

That version -- watered down a bit more by Volga -- is STILL better looking than the monstrosity Chysler calls the Sebring today, which looks like it was styled by four of five designers who never met.

Chyslers of the 90s weren't the best built cars in the world (as a minivan owner how he likes his transmission!), but they were nicely styled, drove reasonably well and offered a lot of car for the money. That helped make the company one of the most profitable (which is why Mercedes wanted to buy it in the first place). It really needs get back to what made it successful .. and fast.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Really shows how far Chysler design has fallen.

The "cloud cars" (because they all had cloud-related names) were on the cutting edge of design when they were introduced. The second generation watered down the original design, but at least was still fairly clean and balanced.

That version -- watered down a bit more by Volga -- is STILL better looking than the monstrosity Chysler calls the Sebring today, which looks like it was styled by four of five designers who never met.

Chyslers of the 90s weren't the best built cars in the world (as a minivan owner how he likes his transmission!), but they were nicely styled, drove reasonably well and offered a lot of car for the money. That helped make the company one of the most profitable (which is why Mercedes wanted to buy it in the first place). It really needs get back to what made it successful .. and fast.
Yup. I remember when my parents were looking for a family car in 1995- the two finalists ended up being the Cirrus and the Maxima (they chose the latter because it leased out better than the Cirrus). But the Cirrus was a sharp car.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
That grill sure does look like a Volga. I have riden in many Volgas, Samaras, Ladas and the like. I really do like the Russian cars since they are stinking cheap. Much like the interior of that new car. I still prefer the earlier GAZ-24 additions.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Sad thing is that it looks better than the Sebring, which looks 100 times better itself than the new Sebring.

I never understood the flak the Sebring got, it was boring as all get out, but it was reliable, basic transportation...and they really weren't any worse than anything else in the class anyway. Basic and reliable is a good combination for countries with emerging auto industries.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I never understood the flak the Sebring got, it was boring as all get out, but it was reliable, basic transportation...and they really weren't any worse than anything else in the class anyway.
Sure it was. Little rear seat room, miserable crash test performance, weak and noisy engines, and so forth. Sure, it was cheap for a midsize car, but it didn't do anything better than a decent compact car, which is cheaper still.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts