GM Inside News Forum banner

Gas Prices

2K views 63 replies 23 participants last post by  doh 
#1 ·
Yes, another thread about it.

Four days ago I noticed gas was $1.25 per ($4.72 per gallon) and I thought "oh good, prices are going down"......well I was completely wrong. It went quite the opposite tonight, we're sitting at $1.349 per liter or ($5.09 per gallon) for regular. Thats absolutely atrocious, but theres nothing that can be done about it. I put in $10 and got me around 7 liters...thats pathetic.

#2 ·
We've been sitting at $1.399 for the last 2 weeks. Our prices are rigged...I mean regulated. They change every Friday. The big jump missed us for today, but next Friday I think we will look at $1.55 or so. 8% rise in oil, so ya know that means a 10% rise in gas.

I thought about getting into oil trading, but then I don't want to be the person I despise.

Supply and demand my ass. Supply goes up, no trucks driving around, so demand goes down...and somehow prices go up. **** em.

#3 ·
Oil prices took a HUGE jump yesterday, and gas prices here immediately jumped 15-cents/gal. Here in the U.S., I'm hearing we can expect an average price of $5/gal for regular by the July 4th weekend (amazing how gas prices always skyrocket right before a holiday weekend).

#21 ·
liek what? drive less? memorial day weekend the nation used 5% LESS gas than last year. and gues what? price skyrocket. its 4.30 here now. when i got home a few weeks ago it weas 3.99. explain that to me. we are using less, and nothing is happening. it has nothing to do with supply and demand anymore. its all the speculation b.s.

#5 ·
There's really nothing we can do at this point...it has been shown that even if we drive less and reduce our demand for gasoline, the oil companies just reduce production even further to keep the prices up.

The government has yet to do anything and if anyone expects them to, I hope you are not holding your breath waiting.

#6 ·
The thing about high gas prices (at least for us) is that it has put the major brakes on our "discretionary" spending. It has gotten to the point now where if we don't really "need" it, we don't buy it. I'm sure many more Americans have gotten into this mindset, and that is what is going to eventually send us into a recession. America works by people buying stuff like houses, automobiles, furniture, appliances, electronics, etc...and if all of America's discretionary income is going into their gas tanks, there's not a lot left to spend on other stuff you'd like to buy.

#12 ·
Damn...filled up the Kawasaki yesterday, and it cost me $15...that's the most I've ever spent filling up a motorcycle. Still a lot less than the $75 it costs me to fill the GTO.

#13 ·
Our Congress needs to grow a pair and just threaten to introduce legislation to put a ban on speculation, that bubble will burst. To work, it just needs to not get buried in committee.

#14 ·
I love how some jack ass predicts it will $150/bbrl by the 4th of July and it price shoots up. Soooooo if its supply and demand did something happen OR is it speculators. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. The problem is that oil has become an asset for the rich, the tech stock boom busted, the housing boom busted and now they are driving the price of oil sky high.

#22 ·
#25 ·
Gas will never be cheap again IMO. Even if we cut our usage of oil countries like China and India use more and more oil. So these countries will keep the price of oil high no matter what we can do. The best thing we can do is drill for oil in our country and finally commit to an alternative.

As for Iran, send them on the express bus to Allah.

#31 ·
While I don't like Gore, I have to believe that for him to screw up any worse would not be possible. Why were they net given the few more hours needed to count the votes in Florida? It just doesn't make sense, my understanding is they were mostly done counting and needed a few more hours, and some Court put an end to it and claimed Bush the winner. What difference did a few extra hours make, unless something fishy was going on?

#50 ·
A depression is sure to hit if gas prices keep going up as badly as it is now.
Add the obscene gas prices with the subprime housing market, high unemployment rates, faltering salaries, and falling value of the dollar, and its going be be a rather nasty outcome for the economy.

#53 ·
Yup Yup and Yup, with the airlines about to layoff pilots and other employees, 5.5% unemployment is going to rise even higher, CAnt feel to sorry for a lot of them though, lots of imports that they drive, in my opinion if you cant support your own economy, you deserve to get what the circle brings ya

#54 ·
If someone had a magic wand that would dissolve the barriers to access, which currently prevent western companies from exploring in parts of the world where crude reserves are plentiful, the price for oil could come down.

Source: Calgary Herald

#59 ·
'They' sure did raise them.
Friday afternoon I was crunched for time.
I had to get my car into the shop again after work.
Denny's Auto Diagnosis was swamped that day but, they were will to fit me in.
I had only 'time' to get an oil change and not the other $400.00 in repairs I need done 'again'. (Another story all together...) <sigh>
Fair enough. I will get thouse done next Friday...

Well, anyways as I was driving to Denny's I passed the gas station right by their business.
Fuel was $3.74/gallon at 2:15pm.
When I picked up my car at around 6pm it was $4.09/gallon.

I could have kicked myself for not filling up...

It will not matter if we drilled all of our oil here in the states.
The price will be the price that 'they' want regardless...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.