GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Be warned: It ain't a happy review.

Inside Line said:
The G8 V6 sedan has a tougher battle in the marketplace. By virtue of its middling 256-hp 3.6-liter V6, relaxed suspension tune, overall size and sub-$30K price tag, it is likely to be cross-shopped not just with the Dodge Charger V6 but also with a raft of midsize cars including high-end versions of the Honda Accord and Nissan Altima. Just up the ladder one rung is the Acura TL and Nissan Maxima SV.

We're missing the point, you say? The Accord and Altima are gussied-up, everyday front-drive appliances, you say? True, but they're also more powerful and quicker than the relatively heavy G8 V6 sedan. Despite a more advantageous weight distribution and rear-wheel drive, the hefty 3,945-pound G8 can muster only a 7.6-second sprint to 60 mph. The 270-hp Altima 3.5 can crank out runs a full second quicker. Even the less overtly sporty 268-hp Accord EX V6 (with a five-speed automatic) has the G8 beat by half a second. And just in case you needed reminding, the only slightly more expensive G8 GT sprints to 60 mph in a smokin' 5.4 seconds.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...Id=129608?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2.*

Like they said, it would be nice if the G8's V6 powertrain was the same as the Camaro

·
Registered
434 Posts
A car that's heavier, larger in wheelbase, length and width uses more fuel than a mid sized car which is smaller and much lighter.....how ironic. The G8 sedan is more of a family car. It's decent all round and soon should be given the DI V6 which will make it more powerful and refined. Either way the GT is a better choice if you want a performer.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
If it makes anyone feel better... the BMW 528i does 7.1 seconds 0-60 mph mark and costs about $46K

The Charger V6 gets almost 9.3secs

Point is that any one of these cars are pretty much too heavy for a V6 under 300HP, but they are i existence to have something in that particular make that gets better fuel economy than their HI-PO versions are able to make... EACH one of these cars has a mid-level version that does amazing things as far as performance... the 5series... the 535... the G8.. the GT... the Charger... the R/T.. and EACH one of them has a even more power exclusive version that takes it further...

·
Registered
434 Posts
..."relaxed suspension tune"??? I thought the V6 had the same suspension as the GT...

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The G8 V6 needs the DI 3.6L now.....would turn it into something the Maxima SL couldn't touch.....

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I want a G8 - V6 and I would buy one today if they has a reasonable finance deal on the car. The 6.5% (market rate) currently available kills the deal for me, especially when the Canadian MSRP is thousands more than in the U.S.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I want a G8 - V6 and I would buy one today if they has a reasonable finance deal on the car. The 6.5% (market rate) currently available kills the deal for me, especially when the Canadian MSRP is thousands more than in the U.S.
Why is that? Why are we (Canadians) getting ripped off? There is no difference in safety/emissions/etc.... in the cars and many of the componenets or even the vehicles themselves are manufactured here. I priced a G6 GT coupe on the Pontiac USA website and it came out almost $10,000 LESS!!! There is no excuse for this.

Nick

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
This is funny. There is nothing wrong with 7.6 0-60 for a family sedan. And that's what the V6 G8 is. So the Accord, Camry, and Altima V6's are faster, but they look boring, and drive the front wheels.

Ehhh, but then again look what happened to the Cadillac Catera.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Why is that? Why are we (Canadians) getting ripped off? There is no difference in safety/emissions/etc.... in the cars and many of the componenets or even the vehicles themselves are manufactured here. I priced a G6 GT coupe on the Pontiac USA website and it came out almost $10,000 LESS!!! There is no excuse for this.

Nick
Does it have to do with the difference in the value of the U.S. dollar compared to the value of the Canadian dollar?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Does it have to do with the difference in the value of the U.S. dollar compared to the value of the Canadian dollar?
No the US and Canadian Dollars are at or near par. This is GM ripping off Canadians and hurting Canadian dealers.

ConcordeNick said:
Maybe next year? I'm going to take a G8 V6 out for a test drive this Saturday just to see what it is like. It is one of the vehicles I'm considering. The other is a G6 GT Coupe. I'd really like a G8 Coupe with the Camaro's V6. It would be perfect!

Nick
I really hope the 3.6 DI replaces the current V6 for the G8. 300HP would make the V6 an even better car.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
This is funny. There is nothing wrong with 7.6 0-60 for a family sedan. And that's what the V6 G8 is. So the Accord, Camry, and Altima V6's are faster, but they look boring, and drive the front wheels.

My thoughts exactly, when did 7.6 seconds become "slow"? Try 15 seconds to 60, thats slow. What I would do is offer the 6 speed manual in the V6, if they offer it in the Camaro, they should at least make it possible to buy a 6 speed manual V6 G8, although offering something like that would make the G8 something unique as there would be no other RWD manual transmission full size sedan in the sub 30K bracket.

Though adding DI, maybe as an option, would be pretty cool too, even if the bump is only up to the Camaros 300hp, not the CTS 304(306?)hp, a combination of adding the DI V6 and the 6 speed manual would make the G8 and even sweeter deal.

Also, offering NAV in this price range, at least as an option, is kind of a given, blah blah blah, turn by turn, etc etc, yeah sure, but some people just want a screen, give it to them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I know you Canadiens pay more in taxes than us Americans do, so is it possible that there are more corporate taxes as well? I have no idea, but that does seem kind of expensive.

On subject, if I were in the market for this car, I'd go with the V6 (but I'd be dreaming about the V8)

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

Nick
Canadian dollar is virtually at par with the US $ but GM is still pricing like it's at C$1.25 for a U$. Just nuts. They have done some price adjustments but not as much as some others like Chrysler. That's why I am looking at used cars now, GM may loose my new purchase because of their stubborn behavior. Used car prices have dropped because US cars are flooding the market now.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I just returned from a 4 day stay in SoCal....Anaheim and Ontario and points in between. I didn't see a single G8....GT or V6. Where are they ?? They're rare in Miami but still noticable.
I was stunned not to see a single one.....blinged out 300C's were everywhere.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
give the G8 the 3.0L GDI 260BHP V-6 engine and a 6 speed and call it a day, it should end up about as fast as the Honda Accord V-6.

I think its funny that when we talk about American cars that excel in a line someone has to say that straight line speed isn't everything. Yet once you have an American car and a import in the opposite situation they want to just focus on straight line speed.

People are funny, they also take away.5 seconds from their favorite car and add .5 seconds to the cars they hate lol.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts