GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out the G8 in person tonight at the dealership.

The closest one to me recieved three G8s yesterday. Two GTs, one V6. The GTs are already sold and gone with just the V6 left tonight.

It's got the Premium Package and Comfort & Sound Package, so it's not exactly cheap to begin with. On top of that the dealer has marked the car up $2,000 (the GTs probably more) and also added an $800 "desert protection" package which basically consists of waxing with door edge guards. I hear other dealers in the area are marking theirs up even more.

It's deja vu from four years ago when the LS1 GTO arrived. Dealers gouged customers initially interested in the car and turned them off. They went elsewhere.

The markups pretty much kill any price advantage the G8 had built into it's MSRP. If someone needed a car like that right away they could go right across the street and get a loaded Charger R/T for the same price as this dealer was asking for a V6 G8 that doesn't offer navigation, bluetooth, a sunroof and other features they may want.

It's really a shame GM cannot control dealer pricing. Let's hope it doesn't kill the first wave of interest in this car.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
This will have 4 doors and will be available in limited numbers, I think they will sell every one they ship over. Not to mention it has a modern looking exterior.

Edit: and it has a trunk.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
But that's just the thing, the MSRP of the GT is lower than that of the Charger R/T, but nobody pays sticker for the Dodge, it has incentives, you can get a far greater combination of options, you can order one exactly how you want it, and dealers have enough on hand so that a customer has an array of options from which to choose, and they can be tailored to fit any budget from $20,000 up to $40,000.

For now, Dodge has the advantage. For those that absolutely MUST have the G8 now, then they're going to bear the full brunt of Pontiac's dealer shadyness. Wait for the '09s, and the value proposition should improve.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If this is how it is going to go, just kill off Pontiac now. I'm a long time Pontiac Die-hard, but, I'd rather see them gone than another round of this BS. Stupid freaking Dealers.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Insane dealer markups are just wrong and people are fools who pay them. But it won't kill the G8 or Pontiac.

This happens with a lot of cars as they ramp up. My sister paid full sticker to get a PT Cruiser when they first hit the streets, and they had to hunt for a dealer that would sell them the car at that price. Didn't hurt it in the long run; as soon as production ramped up, the dealer prices came down and the sales were strong.

Same story when the Miata came out. Initial markups were huge. Didn't hurt the car in the long run and they're still selling MX-5s today.

I think people who want the G8 will still buy one when there's more of them.

What is the projected yearly volume of the G8? 30,000?

Are the current ones being sold as 2008 or 2009 models?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
But that's just the thing, the MSRP of the GT is lower than that of the Charger R/T, but nobody pays sticker for the Dodge, it has incentives, you can get a far greater combination of options, you can order one exactly how you want it, and dealers have enough on hand so that a customer has an array of options from which to choose, and they can be tailored to fit any budget from $20,000 up to $40,000.

For now, Dodge has the advantage. For those that absolutely MUST have the G8 now, then they're going to bear the full brunt of Pontiac's dealer shadyness. Wait for the '09s, and the value proposition should improve.
And in three months or so all of what you mentioned above will be pointless....

Not to mention Charger resale value is in the basement.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Yep, they'll kill the G8 just like they did the GTO. I know plenty of people who wanted a GTO, but were so incensed by the 5K dealer greed tag (even there in 2005) that they bought used F-bodies and vowed to never buy new from GM. Might be bold talk about never buying again, but they DID purchase other vehicles.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Yep, they'll kill the G8 just like they did the GTO. I know plenty of people who wanted a GTO, but were so incensed by the 5K dealer greed tag (even there in 2005) that they bought used F-bodies and vowed to never buy new from GM. Might be bold talk about never buying again, but they DID purchase other vehicles.
Vowed never to buy GM again? Just because some greedy dealer is marking up the sticker? That's a bit extreme. Especially since this is a dealer issue and not really a GM issue. I'd just not buy the marked up car and leave it at that. If I really needed a vehicle I'd go elsewhere. It's not something I would swear off GM for.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
In a car like the G8 I believe the extra markup is designed to keep the car on the showroom floor a little longer ...so others can see the vehicle.

Whose going to pay over msrp for a G8?

Local pontiac dealers have said MSRP and no more.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Vowed never to buy GM again? Just because some greedy dealer is marking up the sticker? That's a bit extreme. Especially since this is a dealer issue and not really a GM issue. I'd just not buy the marked up car and leave it at that. If I really needed a vehicle I'd go elsewhere. It's not something I would swear off GM for.
Yeah, I thought that was a little extreme as well. But what they said akes sense. "If this is they way the dealers are going to treat us, we'll go elsewhere." I can't say as I blame them. Financially, they made a wise decision, and GM lost sales.

GM reaps what the dealers sow.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
But they did sell them with the mark up, the GT's were both gone, and the V6 probably is already sold as we speak, why should the dealer not be allowed to make money, I just dont get the nerve of some of the people here, as if they expected the dealers to leave the G8's with the keys in them sitting in front of the dealership with signs that say "FREE TO GOOD HOME!!" on the winshield.

If you dont want to pay a mark up, then dont go buy a car that is currently hard to get, I would love to go get a ZR1 at cost, but I know that wont happen, dont get me wrong I know that the G8 is NOT a ZR1, but it's not a champage Cobalt LS sedan thats been on the lot for 75 days either, when the inventory loosens up, then there is going to be room to wheel and deal, and hey, you never know you might find a dealer that is willing to work with you on a G8, you have be ready to negotiate, if you want them to just drop their pants and give away the car, search for a Saturn dealer, they have some great deals on the Auras on their lots.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But they did sell them with the mark up, the GT's were both gone.
There were also people who paid thousands over MSRP for the first GTOs out, and that's a niche performance car. Dealers are marking up a "mainstream" Pontiac sedan, one GM is counting on being a good seller.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Wait until they start getting to the dealers and sit there for a few weeks. They'll come off of that crap real quick. Supply and demand- gotta love it! Can't blame them for trying though- Pontiac dealers need to get thrown a bone every once and awhile!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My local Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer has a $5,000 "market adjustment" on the new GMC Yukon hybrid. :(

No G8's that I've noticed here (yet).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts