GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/28/pontiac-g8-and-solstice-not-being-canceled/

According to Pontiac, though, those rumors are nothing more than speculation and should not be taken as gospel unless you hear it from the horse's (or Mr. Lutz's) mouth, which we have not. Still, the rumor in question indicates that the G8 will live on at least another five years, assuming it continues to sell that long, but would not be replaced after that. This could still be the case. Likewise, the Solstice has not been canceled, but it's replacement in GM's lineup still seems unlikely given the low volume of sales the vehicle attracts. In short, nobody can predict the future, but sometimes the handwriting on the wall isn't that tough to read.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The way GM is, the "elimination" of the G8 could be nothing more than returning to using "Grand Prix" as the name of their large sedan. It's not like GM hasn't done that before and won't do it again.
Good point, if these predictions were so accurate GM, and others wouldn't be in the situation they are now.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Who said they were canceled?

The only thing that was said was that they would not get redesigned/replaced with anything.

Maybe this heralds an upcoming FWD/AWD LWB EpII Grand Prix redux. An an Aveo-based drop-top Mini competitor?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The media, and most kneejerk enthusiasts misunderstood the info.
The next gen G8 and next gen Kappa car will not make it to the US. Current models of both are not going anywhere.
What you do need to read into is that Pontiac is dead and will not recieve anything more then Chevy rebadges for the forseeable future.
People need to read beyond the crazyness.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The media, and most kneejerk enthusiasts misunderstood the info.
The next gen G8 and next gen Kappa car will not make it to the US. Current models of both are not going anywhere.
What you do need to read into is that Pontiac is dead and will not recieve anything more then Chevy rebadges for the forseeable future.
People need to read beyond the crazyness.
I think it's CRAZY not to make Pontiac the real BMW fighter it should be and limit the Chevy products (read - bottom of the line, intro cars) to just that = CHEVY!

But money talks and we all know what walks! :yup:

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I can see the Solstice being killed off because its not a huge seller.. but Pontiac needs teh G8 as their "flagship" car! Without the G8 Pontiac is dead.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I don't trust anything GM says one way or the other. But it's clear that the G8 has got be a huge money loser by itself at least until Impala goes to Zeta and G8 is build in Canada.
I sure hope that the Solstice and Sky stick around for a while. The question is what if they stop making one of the key platforms/cars from which they borrowed parts for these cars.
With the little love that Pontiac gets from GM it shouldn't be a surprise that rumors of demise spread real fast.
Now bring back the Trans Am and Pontiac will be in business :D

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I think it's CRAZY not to make Pontiac the real BMW fighter it should be and limit the Chevy products (read - bottom of the line, intro cars) to just that = CHEVY!

But money talks and we all know what walks! :yup:
Pontiac could, but in the grand long term schem of things, they are a local brand that has been losing sales for a long time. Pontiac also has no global representation. Pontiac, as a brand, is dead. It has nothing that couldnt be shifted or made elsewhere. It COULD have been something, but didnt turn out to be much.

I can see the Solstice being killed off because its not a huge seller.. but Pontiac needs teh G8 as their "flagship" car! Without the G8 Pontiac is dead.
G8 sells at probably the same numbers the Solstice does. Pontiac needs a flagship car to sell at least 100k units a year. Without G8 made in North America, it wont happen.

If Pontiac goes, so will I! Infiniti and BMW are my top choices. For some strange reason, GM is quickly losing its appeal.
Outside of G8 and Solstice, which can be bought elsewhere, what appeal does Pontiac have on you? If Inifity and BMW are your choices, you might want to look at Caddy.
Rear wheel drive, sport sedans, performance engines and packages, sounds like right up your alley.

I don't trust anything GM says one way or the other. But it's clear that the G8 has got be a huge money loser by itself at least until Impala goes to Zeta and G8 is build in Canada.
I sure hope that the Solstice and Sky stick around for a while. The question is what if they stop making one of the key platforms/cars from which they borrowed parts for these cars.
With the little love that Pontiac gets from GM it shouldn't be a surprise that rumors of demise spread real fast.
Now bring back the Trans Am and Pontiac will be in business :D
Its not a money loser. The G8 is not coming to Pontiac because PONTIAC IS DEAD!! It has NOTHING to do with sales, marketing, or profit. The brand is dead.
Yes. Lets bring back a body cladded, multi scooped and wingged Trans Am. That will bring Pontiac back from the dead. That will bring Pontiac up to the image of Nissan, Acura, Infinity or even BMW. Even if the GTO outsold the last year of the Trans Am every year from 04 to 06, the Trans Am is still the answer. Trans Am: The Answer To the Problem.

Sorry, Im not in a good mood. Its snowing wet slushy garbage for about 4-5 hrs so far.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Yes. Lets bring back a body cladded, multi scooped and wingged Trans Am. That will bring Pontiac back from the dead. That will bring Pontiac up to the image of Nissan, Acura, Infinity or even BMW. Even if the GTO outsold the last year of the Trans Am every year from 04 to 06, the Trans Am is still the answer. Trans Am: The Answer To the Problem.

Sorry, Im not in a good mood. Its snowing wet slushy garbage for about 4-5 hrs so far.
Pontiac needs to be GM's Nissan or Mazda. Not BMW.

Slushy garbage?! Where the heck are you? It's been raining all day in Midtown, and the Missus indicates it's been doing the same in Monmouth...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Here's another article on this:

Pontiac - G8 not a one and done:

The Pontiac G8 is one of General Motors’ freshest faces – at least here in America – but recent rumors have suggested that the superb sports sedan won’t be around in another five years. Pontiac has apparently heard enough from the rumor mill, and has decided to step in to clear things up.

According to the Pontiac Under Ground blog, GM’s performance brand has no intentions of killing off the G8. Moreover, plans for two more G8-variants – the G8 GXP and G8 ST – are still on, with the high-performance GXP model expected to hit the market by year’s end.

Despite the claim that the G8 is here to stay, the Australian-born sedan could still be on life support. The previous rumor had the G8 running its current life cycle, with no replacement planned beyond 2013. With stricter emissions regulations set to kick in right about that time, the G8 could still be a one and done, even if new models are planned over the next year and a half.

The G8’s future seems hazy, at best, right now, so it’s pretty difficult to know for sure what GM has planned for its performance sedan. However, GM has developed a Buick model based on the G8 with a 2.0L turbo four for the Chinese market, so it’s quite possible new powerplants could keep the G8 alive in the U.S.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/pontiac-g8-not-a-one-and-done.html

Looks like we have to hurry up and wait!

:yup:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
This is what I was thinking, when I heard no replacements for Solstice and G8. That they might not have direct descendants, but replacements on other platforms...

Kappa is dead, so the Solstice could move to a shrunken Alpha platform, or get dropped entirely.
I'm not sure the future of Zeta, but wasn't there reports of the next Commodore not being on it? And instead on a lighter, extended Alpha? Could G8 move to this? Since Alpha is suppose to be more premium, it could support flagship large-mid-size cars...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Okay, I concede. If GM makes Pontiac a bunch of Chevy rebadges, that's not so bad. I can buy a rebadged and sexier looking (Pontiacs do look sexier) Corvette, Camaro, or Malibu. If GM kills Pontiac, I'll move to Saturn... yes, I hate Saturn... but if they get all the good cars, and keep the great customer service, I'll give up my automotive heart's dream and stick with my automotive brain's logical choice.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
The way GM is, the "elimination" of the G8 could be nothing more than returning to using "Grand Prix" as the name of their large sedan. It's not like GM hasn't done that before and won't do it again.
That would be the best move they could make-if Pontiac gets its old names back-including making the G6 the Grand Am, then Pontiac's sales will rise, IMO.
Now if GM realizes a huge mistake and says the Cruze (ugh) will be called Cobalt or Nova, then I have reason to believe GM will survive.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
The good thing for the G8 is that the donor car ie the Commodore is not going away anytime soon, unlike the Monaro/GTO which got extended because of USA production & sales and was only intended to last a few years, heck is wasn't even supposed to be in production and just be a show car for us Aussies to drool over. So unless there is something that would kill the Commodore the G8 can last a longer.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts