GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pontiac has put up the G6 portion of their site!!! Very detailed!

Click Here

Here are some details:

Wheels

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Pics

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yeah, I like it. I was worried that they would be dropping the trademark red backlighting for the standard blue/green. The wheel choices are good too, except for that first one. The colors are ok. I think the red metallic and electric blue metallic look best. So is "stealth gray metallic" the color we've been seeing?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
I really like it!

One strange thing I noticed: 20/29 mpg. this is with the same 3500 engine that gets 23/32 mpg in the Malibu. Sacrificing 3mpg for better acceleration perhaps?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Perhaps the manual shift mode offered on the G6 GT has something to do with the difference? Otherwise all I can figure is that there's some extra weight in there somewhere.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ok, I think I got the lowdown on the MPG differece. The G6 has a higher axle ratio at 3.94. The Malibu has a ratio of 3.29. So Ming would be correct in assuming it's due to a greater acceleration. And of course the tradeoff is the lower mileage, which is ok with me since my Grand Am gets about the same numbers. I just wish all the early speculation about AWD and a hybrid engine could've been true. Imagine getting 30+ mpg out of a Pontiac sedan.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by thatoneguy@Jun 4 2004, 03:41 AM
wasn't it originally thought to start out with a 170 hp? not a 200 hp?
did i miss something?
The 170hp will come from the upcoming 2.4 VVT Ecotec 4cyl. Both the 2.4 and 3.9 engines are not in production. Right now, the 3.5 will be the only engine in the G6.

And the MPG deal looks like it was solved. That minor increase in gearing will throw off the MPG by a bit.

I really like what I see. Deffinatly looks like a future car, but Ill wait for the coupe.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The more I look at the exterior shots the more I see the Grand Am staring back at me. I would have liked a little more of the angled out sides and the airdam of the concept. But that is not to say I don't like it. On the contrary, the G6 GTP(GXP?) (when it arrives) will be at the top of my "to buy" list.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The G6 looks more "beefy" and substantial than the Grand Am to me. Much more appealing for a 20K vehicle.

It's a minor, niggling complaint, but the only thing I'm not sure that I like is the way the squared off center stack ends abrbuptly with a "lip" and open area above the shifter - kinda like the dash in the old Sunbird or something -
and that thing was prone to squeaks. I'm not a fan of the "hovering square" of plastic on those Sunbirds at all. I much prefer the way the Saab 9-2X, for instance, flows into the shifter area smoothly without an apparent break:

I think it has something to do with the small but noticeable rounded edge on the lip of that break that catches the light on the G6 photo above (where the square hits the open junk bin area between shifter and square) - I'm just not lovin that. The Sunfire interior has a lot of those unappealing "rubbermaid" edges. Am I picky or what? I also would have liked brushed aluminum look trim, but I could buy an aftermarket dash kit for that, and maybe the GXP will get that. Even the lowly Mazda 3 has its fair share of metallic-look trim (not just the chrome rings).

But I am really liking the overall look. At least they got rid of the "bra" humps in the speedo of the Grand Am!

I'm also hoping the interior looks as black as it does in the photos - I like this look much more than the pseudo-gray I saw in the pre-production concept.

Well, I won't be considering one until the 3900 comes out anyway....

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am considering this for my next vehicle. But I have to agree with Ming, I would rather have the 3900... ;)

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 4 2004, 01:34 AM
Me too! The interior is a lot better than first thought..>!
i agree man! these pics look better than earlier ones. this black looks much more upscale than the grey version we saw before. really exciting stuff here! and while it's your perogative to be nit-picky ming (we know the typical import buyers will be!), i like that you don't have much to pick on! when's the last time a GM interior left you with one quibble?!?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by paul8488+Jun 4 2004, 06:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Jun 4 2004, 06:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsap@Jun 4 2004, 01:34 AM
Me too!  The interior is a lot better than first thought..>!
i agree man! these pics look better than earlier ones. this black looks much more upscale than the grey version we saw before. really exciting stuff here! and while it's your perogative to be nit-picky ming (we know the typical import buyers will be!), i like that you don't have much to pick on! when's the last time a GM interior left you with one quibble?!? [/b][/quote]
I think the chrome around the gauges and air vents really make it look good. That combined with the awesome Pontiac red lighting, it looks great!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice...but I'll wait for the 3900. :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
This is the most appealing Pontiac in a while! I can't wait for the 3.9 VVT with DoD.
I'll have to take a trip to the dealership this Fall when they start rolling in. Can't wait for a test drive.

Now I just hope they can keep the price in check at $26K or so for a loaded G6 with the 3.9.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts