GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I attended the Philadelphia International Autoshow, and got to see the Pontiac Solstice, GTO, and G6 up close and in-person. The Solstice is amazing, and people of every possible demographic were drooling all over this car. It has even more added appeal, with local folks who know that it will be built down the road, in Wilmington, DE. The G6 is a great looking car in person, and my initial concerns over the appearance of the interior have completely faded, after seeing it in person. No, the G6's interior is not as nice as last year's concept car. but it looks very well assembled, and the materials seem to be of a high quality. Not many people were gathered around the G6's stand, however, as most people assumed that it was a current Grand Am. I wonder what's the point of a name change, when the new and old models look so similar. This car will sell well, under any name. The GTO suffers from the same visual challenge of the G6. Many people thought it was the two-door Grand Prix or Grand Am. While I appreciate GM's efforts in getting this car into production, and importing it quickly, I am concerned when a car of this stature does not turn the heads of the car geeks at an autoshow. There was not even a wait to be seated in the floor model. More people seemed interested in the hot-looking, pumpkin orange Grand Prix.

The other GM brands had a mixed showing. Saturn was ghost town, with no concepts, and only a new minivan as their featured vehicle. Cadillac is amazingly popular, especially with the XLR and Escalade(s). Few people show any interest in Buick or Oldsmobile. Chevy was definately hopping, with the Corvette, Cobalt, Colorado Equinox, and SSR.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went today. Pretty nice. The Corvette was very nice in person. The Solstice was still the concept version, not the production, which should be expected. The Cabalt was even pretty impressive, especially if that paint on the SS will be offered. The G6 is a lot nicer in person and the GTO is boring but I'm glad I got to sit in it.

EDIT: Let me add some detail since I just typed that up quick when I got home. The G6 was much nicer in person, but no one seemed to care about it. There was two people standing by it when I went to look. I think these things should sell pretty well. The lines are clean and sharp, such an improvement over the Grand Am. The GTO was attracting a bit more people, but still not a ton. This car just doesn't have the excitement it should to attract a crowd. Quite a few people wanted to sit in it, and I got a chance. Very nice from the inside. Sitting there, I could really picture myself driving this car. But then you just stand back and look at it, and there is nothing exciting there except the 3 letters in the grill. The Solstice, like you said, was attracting all kinds of people. There were many people gathering around to get a look at it. Looking at it compared to the production model, I just really wish they would've kept the center verticle exhaust. It really looks cool. I heard so many people asking the woman from Pontiac the price, and they couldn't believe when she said $20 grand. I think this car will sell like crazy, but it is still unique enough to stand out. I don't want to talk about the other GM cars in this section too much, but the Corvette was amazing...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally posted by 2004_SRX_+Feb 2 2004, 09:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2004_SRX_ @ Feb 2 2004, 09:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chicubs@Feb 2 2004, 02:35 AM
Any pics?
Just got them on my site.

PICS [/b][/quote]
thanks so much...dont want to be annoying, but Im especially interested in buying the G6, do you have any more pics of it? Specifically of the interior?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by chicubs+Feb 3 2004, 12:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicubs @ Feb 3 2004, 12:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2004, 09:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-chicubs
@Feb 2 2004, 02:35 AM
Any pics?

Just got them on my site.

PICS
thanks so much...dont want to be annoying, but Im especially interested in buying the G6, do you have any more pics of it? Specifically of the interior? [/b][/quote]
Sorry, everything I took is posted. What I can do is take more pictures of the G6 in New York in April. Don't forget to check out all the pics at Pontiac.com, and hopefully I'll be able to take more in New York.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thats ok, just one more question about the G6....What was your general impression of it? Did it look too much like an acura and, if you saw the inside, is it of high quality materials?

·
Registered
387 Posts
The interior looked much better in person and it doesnt look too much like an acura at all.

Here is the best interior shot i could get

·
Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by chicubs@Feb 3 2004, 02:08 AM
I little blurry, but the real time photo looks a bit better...thanks!
sry bout the blurryness i realy had to reach up to get the shot cus im not real tall

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Headed there this Saturday hopefully I'll C someone there!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Originally posted by daveymcdave@Feb 3 2004, 04:49 AM
Good pics.  Those G6 pics make it look better than previous ones I have seen  :)
thanksyou

heres another jus cus u liked em and if anyone else wants a specific car ill probly have it jus ask

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by chicubs@Feb 3 2004, 01:39 AM
Thats ok, just one more question about the G6....What was your general impression of it? Did it look too much like an acura and, if you saw the inside, is it of high quality materials?
This car looks much better in person than in photos. And I can tell you it is 100% Pontiac. There is not imitation here. From what I saw of the interior it looked good. You would really have to sit in it to know for sure, but from what I can tell, no cheap stuff. I just can't wait to see the 2-door and convertable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts