GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the new cobalt ss turbocharged is out now and that leaves me wondering a lot about pontiacs g5. i wonder if pontiac will even continue it/recieve a turbocharged version of it later.

according to the 09 cobalt changes article, the 2.4 is being dropped and the "Sport" is discontinued. and the 2.2 LAP vvt is the only engine possible on LS/LT models aside from the 2.0 turbo in the SS

if these changes are correct, i really wonder how pontiac's G5 will be effected by this.

does anyone have any inside info on what the future of the G5 really is, and if a GXP model with the turbo is underway at all?

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I've got a better idea, how about kill the useless G5. :yup: It never should have existed in the first place. If GM sold all their cars together at mega GM dealers, this blatant re-badging wouldn't even happen.

But since the ION RedLine is gone and the Astra doesn't have a RedLine version yet, perhaps a G5 GXP will come about this time, but I still doubt it. My guess is for now FWD 4-cyl Turbo from GM will only come from the Cobalt S/S and HHR S/S.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after doing some more research ive found out that while GM did the SS/TC cobalt meet for the magazines that this question was brought up and all the GM execs and engineers blatently stated that this no will never happen where the LNF is in the G5.

i wonder if they will even continue the G5 and restyle it after the cobalts redone?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
GM needs to stop coming up with new models that are gonna be canned in a year or two

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
It should have never existed in the first place. We're told that "Pontiac is CAR" (kill the ******* who coined that winner), and that it's GM's performance line, but the G5 doesn't even get the same power as the Cobalt SS did. The irony in that is almost too much for me to bear, especially considering they charge a premium for the G5 and, in my opinion, it looks worse.

I will never understand what some of the people at GM are thinking when they make some of their decisions. Truly

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
The G5 was probably one of the stupidest ideas GM ever came up with. Sure it gives Pontiac a small economy car to sell but in the end when all is said and done the only thing that the G5 has succeeded at (other than cannibalizing sales from the cobalt) is being a cheap pathetic rebadge. as for the possibility of a GXP model I do not think its a good idea. With the new Cobalt turbo SS coming out a GXP G5 would cannibalize sales from that model as well. Also why pay a premium for what is essentially a Chevy cobalt with a Pontiac badge and horrid exterior styling?. Instead GM should try this very good idea, STOP MAKING THE G5

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The G5 was probably one of the stupidest ideas GM ever came up with. Sure it gives Pontiac a small economy car to sell but in the end when all is said and done the only thing that the G5 has succeeded at (other than cannibalizing sales from the cobalt) is being a cheap pathetic rebadge. as for the possibility of a GXP model I do not think its a good idea. With the new Cobalt turbo SS coming out a GXP G5 would cannibalize sales from that model as well. Also why pay a premium for what is essentially a Chevy cobalt with a Pontiac badge and horrid exterior styling?. Instead GM should try this very good idea, STOP MAKING THE G5
Pontiac and Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealers don't see it as that. In fact the only reason it and any of the rebadges exist is because of the stupid fractured dealer network. Sell everything under one roof and rebadges work themselves away.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
yes, GM NEVER and Pontiac NEVER wanted the G5.

The dealer network did and GM caved in to their demands.

G5 is a *blatant* rebadge job of the Cobalt and that's why I've hated it since day one.
(and an ugly one at that)

CobaltSS

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I must say that if the G5 is to continue, then there must be a turbo GXP version even before the Cobalt SS. Once again, I have to wonder what idiot at GM is calling the shots, and not giving the performance brand at GM a sporty version of an existing model. Tt doesn't make sense!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'll never understand all the G5 hating that goes on in this forum. It offers an alternative to the Cobalt for people who want to buy American but, for whatever reason, don't want to buy a Chevy. It starts with the same solid platform and has the same clean-lined styling, but with a few exterior and interior modifications that some people (myself included) prefer. I like the taillights/backup lights better and I also prefer the faux carbon fiber interior trim and red-lit gauges. And I have a good relationship with the dealership where I bought my '07 Solstice and my wife's '02 Bonneville SLE, so when it came time to buy my college-bound son his first new car, I chose the G5 over the Cobalt and I've never regretted the decision. By the way there's virtually no price difference between the two when they're comparably equipped.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I'll never understand all the G5 hating that goes on in this forum. It offers an alternative to the Cobalt for people who want to buy American but, for whatever reason, don't want to buy a Chevy. It starts with the same solid platform and has the same clean-lined styling, but with a few exterior and interior modifications that some people (myself included) prefer. I like the taillights/backup lights better and I also prefer the faux carbon fiber interior trim and red-lit gauges. And I have a good relationship with the dealership where I bought my '07 Solstice and my wife's '02 Bonneville SLE, so when it came time to buy my college-bound son his first new car, I chose the G5 over the Cobalt and I've never regretted the decision. By the way there's virtually no price difference between the two when they're comparably equipped.
Save your breath, my friend; Most of the people complaining don't own one, will never own one, have never driven one or ridden in one, and hate anything that Pontiac makes without a V8 in it.

They have no idea, so they hate regardless.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
A G5 GXP should not be a possiblity. It shouldn't even be an idea.
But knowing a GM... we'll have one next model year.

:sad:
not true.

furthermore, why didn't it happen with 04 RL 05 SS and then an 05/06 GXP LSJ S/C Ecotec???

If it was going to happen, it would have been a year after the G5 intro, not a year before (or two) Delta II.

CobaltSS

G5 is hated on for being a poor strategic(less) move that reinforces the backwards thinking of blatantly badge engineering products across brands with no meaningful differences Circa 80s/90's issues. Lambdas, Epsilons, and Kappas don't have this problem. Cobalt/G5 do.:yup:

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
You do make some good points but explain why you have to pay a premium for what is essentially a restyled cobalt? the G5 is a shining example of a typical lousy GM rebadge which other than a few interior and exterior tweaks is no different than the car is based on. GM has pulled this type of rebadge numerous times in the past. I still remember when the N body Malibu first came out and GM thought it would be a good idea to give olds a similar model and rebadge it as the Oldsmobile cutlass until the Alero was ready. Those things were even uglier than their Chevy siblings.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You do make some good points but explain why you have to pay a premium for what is essentially a restyled cobalt?
If you read my last sentence I think you'll see that I said there is virtually NO price difference between the Cobalt and the G5 when comparably equipped. Go on any of the auto pricing sites and you'll find that this is true.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i love my g5 and i would buy another one over the cobalt. i like the back end more then the cobalt and the front grill looks better. i have had people tell me my car looks nicer then a cobalt and i agree with them. i have everthing in my car other then side air bags and leather and i paid 18G out the door for it. keep on hateing on the g5 and if they do come out with a gxp and i like it i will trade my g5 in for it but i will not buy the cobalt. no one bitched back when the gmc Sierra and the chevy Silverado looked almost 100% the same. at least if you have a cobalt and g5 side by side and your behind it you can tell what one the cobalt is and what one the g5 is. if you take the gmc and chevy off the back of them 2 trucks you will not be able to tell. hell the front end is almost the same. also the s10 and its gmc twin? no one cares about them. the G5 has more things difforent in the body then the cobalt then what those 4 trucks did with there twins.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
i love my g5 and i would buy another one over the cobalt. i like the back end more then the cobalt and the front grill looks better. i have had people tell me my car looks nicer then a cobalt and i agree with them. i have everthing in my car other then side air bags and leather and i paid 18G out the door for it. keep on hateing on the g5 and if they do come out with a gxp and i like it i will trade my g5 in for it but i will not buy the cobalt. no one bitched back when the gmc Sierra and the chevy Silverado looked almost 100% the same. at least if you have a cobalt and g5 side by side and your behind it you can tell what one the cobalt is and what one the g5 is. if you take the gmc and chevy off the back of them 2 trucks you will not be able to tell. hell the front end is almost the same. also the s10 and its gmc twin? no one cares about them. the G5 has more things difforent in the body then the cobalt then what those 4 trucks did with there twins.
Wow, your elementary school grammar teacher must be spinning in her grave. And not just because of your intermittent shift key. The G5 and Cobalt do not have more things about it different than the Lambda quadruplets, not even close. The only difference is the grille insert on the outside. I believe the non circular tail lamps are available on the Cobalt sedan, but I might be wrong. If I am wrong, then the only differences are the grille insert and the tail lights and we're back in the '80s where the differences between the Sunbird, Cavalier, Firenza, Skyhawk and Cimarron were grills and tail lights. The 6000, Celebrity, Cutlass Ciera and Century were grille and tail lights, I could go on and on and on. But people did bitch about the Sierra and Silverado and they still do about the Canyon and Colorado. They only reason any of these blatant and disgusting rebadges exist is the dealers! I've said it above, I've said it beofre and I'll say it over and over again, until GM can finally consolidate it's dealers into single GM store outlets and end the incessant rebadging. :mad:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Pontiac and Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealers don't see it as that. In fact the only reason it and any of the rebadges exist is because of the stupid fractured dealer network. Sell everything under one roof and rebadges work themselves away.
True. You can't give all the product to one set of dealers and expect the other to survive. The dealer network may be GM's biggest problem now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.