GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All .. I had an entry in the Contest #112, but I kept playing with my designs even after I submitted my entry, and would like to get feedback on my newer versions.

So here is the original picture:

this was my entry in the contest:

VERSION 5

Then I started playing with different profile ..
Started with this:

VERSION 6

And this is for now a final version:

VERSION 7

So what did I change?

Well for V5 this was done:
- spoiler delete
- antenna delete
- rear sidemarket delete
- trunk keyhole delete
- bumper reverse lights relocated to tail lights
- added trunk handle
- changed the cutlines on the door
- changed the rear bumper cutline for a cleaner profile (my biggest pet peeve with the Cobalt/G5)
- RWD - short fron overhang
- revised front bumper cutline
- lowered
- dual exhaust
- red accents on the wheels.

For V6:
- I cleaned out (some) the area around the added (right) exhaust
- fixed some isues with the fron edge of the door
- changed the profile of the rear quarter window

- I liked the new greenhouse shape, but it did not flow with the rest of the car. - SO I got to work on V7

In V7:
- I shortenned the rear overhang, making the coupe into a 3door Hatch
- I changed the profile of the rear windhield, to flow better with the new rear quarter window
- I moved the added (right) exhaust closer to the edge - to better reflect where it should be.
- Cleaned up - over the many edits and saves, some parts of the car were becoming way too blurry and pixelated - so I paster parts of the original picture, and re-did the mods - all in one shot, and thus they were less pixelated.
- I especially re-did the edge of the trunk - it was not clean in V5 and V6 .. and while not perfect, I believe V7 is much better.

I did all this in MS Paint - I have PS, but not on this computer, and I have been trying to see how well and how much can I chop this car with Paint - without help of computer tricks - there are definitely things I cannot do, and there were a lot of pieces, that were a PITA because of Paint limitations. Also you can see on the shrubbery in the background, that I ran out of kills in bleting the mod-cut-lines in there ... or I was simply lazy.

Let me know what you think of the concepts, and the execution, and how could I improve it.

Thanks

Igor

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
From the rear end of Version 5, I get a Charger/GTO vibe from the back of it when there isn't a spoiler and the tailights kinda make it look like it. From Version 6 I get a G6 coupe/G35 Coupe vibe from it on the window lines, and on V7 I get a Scion TC/Infiniti G35 vibe on it because it's all closer together and shorten on the G5 there. But, they look good with the G5 Version 6 being my favorite.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was chopping it I was surprised at the amount of GTO vibe from it - but it really exists only when compared to the original pic - when I opened the pic adter some time without looking at the originalt - I still got the Cobalt/Cavalier vibe more than the GTO vibe ..

but in comparison to the stock version it is a great improvement in appearance .. IMO .. they should have come like this from the factory.

Igor

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Very nice! Subtle changes always seem to work best IMO. I think I like the greenhouse on V6 more though... I think it's because I'd prefer the G5 to have an actual trunk rather than a hatch. I really like the way you cut the window and cleaned up the door cut lines.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
the part above the 'beltline' - windows & roof

·
Registered
12 Posts
2b2 said:
the part above the 'beltline' - windows & roof
Ok but what does that mean.. what about that? For instance someone requested a g6 greenhouse in the PS requests thread. I have no idea. What is the design exposed to be like?

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I have to read that thread for context (link?) but sounds like they wanted the G6 top on another car's body. Here's the euro S-Max's greenhouse on the Montego's body (don't mean to hijack & hope it works - my ISP is weird lately)
Does that help?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I did one myself..

Just kidding.. good job though, very clean.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FordRules said:
Not bad. But they are messy and you could EASILY fix alot of that in photoshop.
I know - I just have been a little bit too lazy to transfer this work from my laptop to my desktop where I have PS installed.

Thanks all for the comments.
Igor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts