News Contributor
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Future Kia GT Targets Audi A7
Edmunds
by Richard Bremner
10/07/2014

Just the Facts:
  • The Kia GT, a four-door fastback model, is headed for U.S. showrooms targeting the Audi A7, BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo and Porsche Panamera.
  • Kia executives confirmed that a showroom version of the GT concept is in Kia's upcoming product portfolio for the U.S.
  • The Kia GT is designed to boost the Korean brand's appeal with car shoppers seeking a sporty image.

PARIS — The Kia GT is the production version of the Kia GT Concept, a 390-horsepower rear-wheel-drive vehicle that was unveiled at the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show. It is slated to arrive at U.S. Kia dealerships by the end of 2016.

Although the GT is aimed primarily at the U.S. market, it will also be sold in Europe, where a diesel version will be offered. It is unlikely that the diesel model will be sold here.

The rear-wheel-drive Kia GT is expected to be powered by a turbocharged 3.3-liter V6 engine linked to an eight-speed automatic transmission.

Edmunds says: Although not likely to be a big seller, the Kia GT is a statement car that is sure to get lots of showroom attention. In the meantime, car shoppers have lots of compelling options in this segment.

*Full Article at Link

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Though Kia wants to position this car against the Audi A7 (worldwide), would the US market really place this car into the same segment at the Chevrolet SS, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Though Kia wants to aim this car at the Audi A7 (worldwide), would the US market really place this car into the segment at the Chevrolet SS, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger?
I don't think so. The American cars seem to never be put in the same segments that European or Asian cars are. I think American have their own unique segment that is theirs alone.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
Overall I like it, I think once they remove the showcar only bits and pieces it will look better. Right now it is a little over the top.

What is Hyundai and Kia's goal with these upmarket cars that don't sell well? Is the goal to stick with them and hope to build a following/market acceptance over the years while still stelling low end cars? Or is the idea to move upmarket.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Overall I like it, I think once they remove the showcar only bits and pieces it will look better. Right now it is a little over the top.

What is Hyundai and Kia's goal with these upmarket cars that don't sell well? Is the goal to stick with them and hope to build a following/market acceptance over the years while still stelling low end cars? Or is the idea to move upmarket.
I actually have some hope for the car – help keen the rwd sedan market alive.

But I’m a little confused as well. Kia has (in the past) been positioned at an economical alternative to Hyundai, but with the recent high-priced K900, and the (apparent) high market segment for this car, it just doesn’t add up. Unless it will have the (near) refinement of the Audi A7, but at a much lower price point.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is this 2008? Because that's what most of these comments seem to be coming from.

As far as prices go nearly every Kia costs more than its Hyundai counterpart so why is this even news?

Also this Kia GT will be about the size of the Infiniti Q50.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Kia is way more upscale in Europe than it is here. Their C'eed (Ce'ed? Cee'd>) is a very nice, very premium car. So while this may sound highly implausible from the US perspective, it's not as crazy from an EU perspective.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Kia seems to forget that it's a mainstream brand, not a Benz-fighting luxury marque.

If Cadillac is taking a slow approach in reaching MB levels, how on earth does Kia think they can do it?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Kia seems to forget that it's a mainstream brand, not a Benz-fighting luxury marque.

If Cadillac is taking a slow approach in reaching MB levels, how on earth does Kia think they can do it?
Both Hyundai and Kia want upward mobility in the pecking order of brands - they've moved from budget to mainstream and want to continue the progress.

GM / Cadillac isn't a good example for up-and-coming Koreans to follow.

·
Premium Member
36,300 Posts
I would surmise, since Pete hasn't returned my emails, that KIA are moovin on up, like the Jeffersons.

That is the goal for almost auto companies. Chibby. Buick. Cardiac. Ford. VW. Toyoter. Honder.

That is where the large margins are. That is where the status is. That is where the bargains are.

Impalas at over 40 grand. Taurii near that. Chargers up to 60+, ditto 300s.

Moovin on up is the natural order of things.

I actually have some hope for the car – help keen the rwd sedan market alive.

But I’m a little confused as well. Kia has (in the past) been positioned at an economical alternative to Hyundai, but with the recent high-priced K900, and the (apparent) high market segment for this car, it just doesn’t add up. Unless is will have the (near) refinement of the Audi A7, but at a much lower price point.
More for less.

Is this 2008? Because that's what most of these comments seem to be coming from.

As far as prices go nearly every Kia costs more than its Hyundai counterpart so why is this even news?

Also this Kia GT will be about the size of the Infiniti Q50.
It's news to some.

Kia is way more upscale in Europe than it is here. Their C'eed (Ce'ed? Cee'd>) is a very nice, very premium car. So while this may sound highly implausible from the US perspective, it's not as crazy from an EU perspective.
It's implausible for folks who aren't watching, or don't understand the ways of nature.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Both Hyundai and Kia want upward mobility in the pecking order of brands - they've moved from budget to mainstream and want to continue the progress.

GM / Cadillac isn't a good example for up-and-coming Koreans to follow.
I wasn't saying they should take the Cadillac approach, but Kia can't reach Benz levels overnight. Cadillac has been trying for years (with much better products). It takes time, and Kia doesn't seem to be interested in that.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I wasn't saying they should take the Cadillac approach, but Kia can't reach Benz levels overnight. Cadillac has been trying for years (with much better products). It takes time, and Kia doesn't seem to be interested in that.
Who sets the timescale?

Hyundai/Kia build some models using quality premium brands as a benchmark - where the market, ie paying customers, dismisses them they build higher quality into the next model.

Cadillac will take for ever to match Mercedes-Benz because GM management will change direction too frequently and send the designers/engineers off in different directions - Hyundai/Kia just focus on a goal and go for it.

·
Premium Member
36,300 Posts
KIA definitely should NOT take the Caddy approach. ELR anyone?

Nobody said KIA is trying to do it all overnight.
What they're doing is pulling the Rock-N-Roll switch and popping out new product as Design, Engineering, and Styling put the cars together.

Who sets the timescale?

Hyundai/Kia build some models using quality premium brands as a benchmark - where the market, ie paying customers, dismisses them they build higher quality into the next model.

Cadillac will take for ever to match Mercedes-Benz because GM management will change direction too frequently and send the designers/engineers off in different directions - Hyundai/Kia just focus on a goal and go for it.
Yowza. I wouldn't use the Cadillac model as one to emulate.
More likely use the H or K model. Overall both have been very successful in going upmarket so far. Look at the last 10 years.

One item I still don't get is how Caddy remains clueless regarding advertising. If you're selling three ELRs a munff and you don't advertise, do you expect to sell six next month because of the blood moon phase, or what? :confused:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts