GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
The top photo has the ugliest wheels I've ever seen on a car. Actually, both sets of wheels are a mess. They look like aftermarket hubcaps.

The vehicle profiles are nice from what I can see in the photos, but it appears that the Chinese, like the Koreans before them, haven't quite figured out how to style a grill or front-end yet.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I bet that both of those pieces of crap would crumple instantly in a fender bender.
That would be my concern too.

The reality is, if a company could sell, say, a $6000 midsize sedan in the US that seats 5 and gets 20 mpg with a decent warranty, it would sell like crazy.

But not if the news is plastered with details on how most sedans you could buy in this country ten years ago would fare better in a crash.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
I bet that both of those pieces of crap would crumple instantly in a fender bender.
They might but....

And I don't mean this to be a slight against Chinese designers, but, these look like they have seen the hand of some European Design Houses like Ital Design, Bertone, Pininfarina etc, and perhaps the engineering of Porsche, or Lotus or Cosworth. The simple fact is that if they have the money the Chinese can buy all the best design in the world, including the engineering to meet the world's highest safety levels. Given these vehicles look like they may be intended to eventually be sold outside China, they likely meet all safety design requirements.

After all, it costs the same to build an ugly car as a hot car, or an unsafe car as a five star safety vehicle - all you need to have done is invest in the original design. And we all know that the Chinese have enough US dollars to do that.

Don't hold out for the first Chinese cars to be exported to be crap, they are too smart and have too much money to risk their reputations on that. They may build crap for the home market, but I guarantee the ever-present Chinese Government will make sure any export is not an embarrassment to them that would cause them to lose face.

The lead-in-toys embarrassment led them to ban lead paint, shut down something like 300 licensed toy makers and 2000 unlicensed toy factories, and the offending owner was found dead, supposedly of suicide.

They don't take international embarrassment lightly.

;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts