GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuttgart swings for the mini-ute seats.
Car & Driver
October 2014
By: Davey G Johnson

When the BMW X3 and the Mercedes-Benz GLK launched, they were slightly funky utes at what was then the small end of the luxury-SUV spectrum. Each took a moment to find solid footing—the BMW in its second generation and the GLK at its midcycle refresh—and each now come at prices that leave room for smaller, less expensive newcomers. BMW threw its X1 into that breach for 2013, offering up a decidedly wagon-oid experience in a package that looks like a Bavarian Subaru Forester. Mercedes has responded with the GLA250, a turbocharged hatch-on-stilts built on the same bones as the CLA-class.

From the nose, the GLA looks fully Benz modern, featuring a blunt, upright prow, swept-back headlights, and the all-important emblem centered proudly in the two-bar grille. From the rear? It’s just a hatchback, one with massive, protruding taillights that look like symmetrical cybernetic boils. As with the B-class Electric Drive, the chrome bar meant to tie the taillamps together instead appears a bit like aftermarket kit. The rear is where this car’s otherwise handsome exterior terminates with a whimper.

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I reeeeeeeally dislike Mercedes new design language. I positively hate the from clip.

It doesn't matter though, because this vehicle is precisely what Car & Driver has termed it. "Not quite a real Benz...." They will sell everyone they can build to young, white yuppies that want the Mercedes emblem on whatever they park in their drive way for the neighbors to see. That's all that matters.

Reactions: TORRED1 and dagr382

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
That huge chunk of 'wood' on the dash is overkill. At first glance I thought they had done the dash in Mossy Oak camo. Benzes are nice, but they do some really weird things with their interiors (and grilles, and headlights, etc.).

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I really like this wagon or hatch and many other reviews seem to like it and say nothing about it being less than a Benz. Just check out other reviews and many really seem to think it is a quality car. To be honest in about a year I may be looking at a used one.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
I reeeeeeeally dislike Mercedes new design language. I positively hate the from clip.

It doesn't matter though, because this vehicle is precisely what Car & Driver has termed it. "Not quite a real Benz...." They will sell everyone they can build to young, white yuppies that want the Mercedes emblem on whatever they park in their drive way for the neighbors to see. That's all that matters.
Young yuppies. White has nothing to do with it.

I would rather have a CLA wagon/shooting brake (if produced.)

You and nobody else.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,314 Posts
Just check out other reviews and many really seem to think it is a quality car.
They're blind.
It looks pretty good until you get inside. Then it's just cheap. Real cheap.

Wouldn’t you be as ably served by a Volkswagen GTI??
Or a Buick Encore. For a hell of a lot less money.

If you just have to have a Benz, save up some more money.
Get one of the new C-Class CUV's when they arrive next year.
The C300 is on a whole 'nother planet compared to the CLA.
It's not even close. I expect more of the same from the crossovers.

I would rather have a CLA wagon/shooting brake (if produced).
Only if it's a brown diesel with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I really don't think most here understand this market. The Encore is successful because automakers, in the US, have been ignoring the premium hatch market. I would love an Astra 3 door but GM does not see the need they have the Encore which while nice is a girl car. I purchased a Veloster but it was a repair nightmare even under warranty. To be honest there is not much left under 30 that is not main stream. That is why the Benz is such a hot product. New it is to expensive but 1 year old it will be in the late 20's and a great bargain.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I mean the Encore is successful but the....

Sorry but it is true US Automakers have ignored the premium hatch market and it is true the Encore was and is the only entry. It is also true that it is a success so...

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,314 Posts
Can't disagree that Cadillac needs to become a player here.
Hopefully they don't put out a product as chintzy as the GLA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts