1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.Edmunds.com/insideline

Full Test: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe

What Works:
Handling so sharp you'll forget the badge; serious turbocharged punch with surprisingly good fuel economy; composed ride quality; strong brakes.

What Needs Work:
Steering still feels a little dead; large turning circle; poorly packaged interior with substandard fit and finish; tired sheet metal.

Bottom Line:
The 2008 Cobalt SS is the best front-drive car Chevrolet has ever built. But its dated packaging will keep most of you from trying it.

Featured Specs
  • 260 hp, 260 lb-ft of torque
  • 14.0-second quarter-mile at 103.6 mph
  • "No-lift shift" feature under full throttle
  • 69.2-mph slalom speed

Full Review At Link - http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...125288?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*#11

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I really like this one!! but i just wish the exterior didnt look so dated!

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
103.6 mph in the quarter mile is actually an easy 13 second time if you can hook up. Plenty of owners will be easy 13's stock with some practice launching leaving the launch control off. Pretty impressive and more of a reason to put this engine in the next G6.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
...more of a reason to put this engine in the next G6.
Amen to that, but don't forget to also bring over the improved handling!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
poorly packaged interior with substandard fit and finish; tired sheet metal. But its dated packaging will keep most of you from trying it
Dated, tahts a matter or opinion! I think it looks great!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

THAT would be dated
That car is hot! It would look sweet with some of those 13" daytons sticking 6" out each side. :p: Ohh yeah, don't forget the sand bags in the trunk to drop the back all the way to the ground.

Oh man, I've been in New Mexico to long. :D

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
All I can say is...

(and you ALL know how much I desire and will own this car by next year)

I wish the exterior was more distinctive like the 2005 Cobalt SS Widebody concept and I wish the interior had more of a 08 Malibu like feel.

In saying that though, you must see the car in person and look at it before passing judgement. I was worried about the exterior looks in particular, but in 'real life' they look wayy better than pictures. The interior is very intuitive and I'm 6 foot ~145-150 and had NO issues shifting and 'bumping' the seat. The seats I drove in for a good two hours and had no back pain or soreness at all. Its laid out well and it works well. Its no CTS inside or out but it does feel quality and the driving experience wasn't compromised in my multiple test drives of this car.

I was really impressed with the launching of the vehicle and how it handles around S turns, very well balanced and the steering has a nice on center feel. Its not 5 series feedback, but then again, its a 23k sport compact. It has put numerous smiles on my face and I was a little apprehensive about purchasing it, but once you DRIVE the car and experience its capabilities, all those worries are put to ease.

The tires SUCK in winter (obviously) so snow tires/rims are a MUST if living in midwest/north.

Stereo doesn't have 'deafening' bass until you turn it up 3/4 of the way volume wise. The clarity is there, the car is quiet (although there is some tire noise), and the HVAC needs the HHR controls, not the style-less (but functional) unit currently in there. Its embarrassing that a 23k Cobalt has 'lesser' HVAC than a 14k HHR and they're on same platform!

Turbo lag is non-existent if you No Lift Shift correctly and I'd recommend shifting at 58-5900 RPM.

It's a car that does the SS badge proud.

My light mods will be Ingen Intake/GMPP Sport Exhaust, tints, HID Projector headlamps, debadge bowtie on steering wheel and place HHR SS "SS" badge on it, LED taillamps and a BOV (since the one on there is so quiet!)

Great car for its purpose, but if was pitched as an LTZ was fall short on styling inside and out.

4* out of 5...

CobaltSS

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Outstanding review. It makes me want to buy one. Or I could get a used (traded) Cobalt SS/SC and modify it up to match or beat the new SS/TC while spending less money. Hell I could even do it with an Ion.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mark my words:

Stock for stock this car will beat the WRX in performance if and when compared.

I'm a huge Scooby fan (I've had three) and this car is the real deal in the sport compact world. Its not on the STi/Evo level but on the level of the WRX/MS3/SRT-4 it will do very well.

But the WRX still wins when its snowing/raining or in the mud:p:

Seriously...good job GM! Now if Subaru would just put DI in their engines...:D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Local dlr has the SS listed but not Chevrolet.com.
interesting

Oh well, can't wait for a test drive after this kind of review. Even after CobaltSS Hype this just makes the wait worse.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
seriously anyone wanna buy my 07 SS/SC lol i just feel robbed now, want this one!!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Turbos have a better upgrade path. You can always slap a bigger turbo and flow more fuel. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
in the specs it said that Edmunds "observed" fuel economy was 27.1!! That is great, I expected "observed" fuel economy at or below the 22 mpg city rating!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts