GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to replace the fuel filter on my g/f's car this weekend when we go home. Just wondering if anyone knows it's location? I'm guessing along the frame, or in the rear by the fuel tank. No biggie, I can deff find it if no one responds, just figured it would be easier if someone already knew.

1996 Pontiac Grand Am 3.1L v6

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Between the rear axle & the rear of the fuel tank...

I tried to scan a picture, but my scan was too big for the GMI attachment...:confused:

thanks man. I figured it was in the same spot as my 95 monte carlo, and it is. don't worry I don't need a picture. Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
plan ahead, get a fuel line repair kit (Metal line w/flair and nut) when you get the filter. The line has a tendancy to rust inplace.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i went to do it this weekend. I got the side with the nut on it off, but the side that "slides" out i had a hell of a time with. I think you need a special tool... ive done fuel filters before, this one has a big black retaining clip on it, and i don't know how to get it off? 3 of the 4 clips fell off basically when i moved it a little.... i messed around with a needle nose for awhile, didn't get anywhere... any ideas?

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've released those tabs using a needle nose pliers...

Could be seized into the fuel line...sadly, I've seen that occur in the shop.
I've heard of that alot with these cars... you have to redo that end of the fuel line... no please!!!

i'm going to go buy a the tool, or at least go get a price check on it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I went and bought a tool that has both fitting sizes on each end. Its a really slick tool. I'll try and get to her car before the weekend, should work now! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.