GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you live in a place that does not have a front plate law, and you drive through a state that does, can you be ticketed for it?

Next month I'm taking a drive and I'll be going through a couple states that I think still have front plate laws, and I just want to make sure that an out of state car is exempt.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
I don't think you'll be ticketed...
Not really sure, but seeing as how a lot of people here in Ohio get away with driving without their front plates when in fact they're required to, I don't think you have to worry about anything.

·
Registered
303 Posts
No, you just have to meet the law in the state in which it is currently licensed. We have that problem here, as NE (stupidly in my opinion) requires front plates, as does IA and MO, but KS does not. As long as your vehicle is properly licensed in KS, then you're ok driving in any of these other states.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
If you live in a place that does not have a front plate law, and you drive through a state that does, can you be ticketed for it?

Next month I'm taking a drive and I'll be going through a couple states that I think still have front plate laws, and I just want to make sure that an out of state car is exempt.

Thanks in advance guys.
Of course not, what the hell kind of stupid idiot legislator would even try to make a law for that? :lmao:

That said I heard some guy in the US, maybe California was ticketed for not having the front plate, he was from somewhere they don't have them. I simply cannot believe this and I think the cop must have just been a real AH and that's it.

FWIW I have one plate and have covered many thousands of km in places with two and have never even heard a word of it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
35,908 Posts
NO, as per above.

I'd suggest getting some extra plates to hang on the front as you drive through the states that require front plates.

e.g. CALIFORNIA SUX!, NEBRASKA SUX!, RHODE ISLAND SUX! etc. etc. in order to spread cheer and understanding from sea to shining sea! :D

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'd suggest getting some extra plates to hang on the front as you drive through the states that require front plates.
:D
Paranoia runs deep, into your life it will creep.

Why do I need two plates? I only have one car.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Are you going to go to the Minsitry ot Transportation and ask them for a front plate? :confused: No, you cannot be ticketed for it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Are you not from Canada anyway? I thought all Canadian Provinces needed front plates, but maybe I am wrong, I have not been to every province

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Well, you don't need any front plates in Quebec and I've never had any problems driving around in Ontario and parts of the US.

We don't even have stickers on our plates indicating the month they need to be renewed.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I hate front plates so much, I don't have them on my cars.....and I am IN a state that requires it! lol

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
We have that problem here, as NE (stupidly in my opinion) requires front plates, as does IA and MO, but KS does not.
Sadly, IL requires front plates, too. I've never understood that, since the front area does not have lights shining on the front plate like the back of the car does....

Plus, at least for newer cars, that front plates just looks sssoo out of place....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I'm out of my pain" ... Beth Hart ... 'LA Song'

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
No front license plates required here in MI. No vehicle inspections or emission tests either. License fees are reasonable, but auto insurance rates suck due to MI being a "no-fault" state. I pay twice what I was paying in CA for auto insurance.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
No front license plates required here in MI. No vehicle inspections or emission tests either. License fees are reasonable, but auto insurance rates suck due to MI being a "no-fault" state. I pay twice what I was paying in CA for auto insurance.
Ya, you can tell. The cars rolling around like they were in the middle of a 10 car pile up, backed up and got back on the highway. :rolleyes: So many nice cars (and terrible old cars) just smashed up, everywhere! You don't see that here. And nobody has in surance over there! I had a guy back into my Saturn at Wayne State. "His g/f had his insurance card" is what he told me after a few minutes of pretending to look for it. He hit me in like the only possible way to do damage to a Saturn (the front bumper cover deformed a bit and it won't simply buff out). if it was in the side, it would have buffed out and no problem. :(

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
States respect each others licensing laws. You can't be ticketed for not having a front plate.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you not from Canada anyway? I thought all Canadian Provinces needed front plates, but maybe I am wrong, I have not been to every province
I dunno what other ones don't, but here in NS we got rid of that law a good 15 years ago I think. Good riddance. Not only should it not be required, but the government should fine themselves for making people with, rounded cars put a front plate on. Ever see a C5 Vette with a plate on the nose? Nasty.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We don't have an emissions test, but we have annual safety inspections which cost $25. Licencing fees are about $175/2 years for my Impala, but they only get you good on the first title fees when you buy a new car. If your vehicle isn't already in the system, boy, that 5 minutes of poking on a computer will really cost you lol.

Part of the safety is making sure there are no exhaust leaks and that the stock converters are there, so it sort of does emissions, but there isn't an actual test. I sometimes think there should be.

These inspections are good IMO. Sometimes it can be a pain getting the appointment to do it because every place is booked the end of the month (when they expire) but it keeps a lot of junkers off the road.

·
Registered
863 Posts
They have front plate laws here in California. It depends on where you are as to weather or not it's enforced. In LA and Hollywood it's very strictly enforced, I got pulled over after having the plate off for less than a few hours and I know several others who have gotten pulled over there for no front plates as well (tho no tickets were issued). Out in Riverside or where I live no one cares.

Police here mainly use the front plate law as an excuse to pull over drivers who they are suspicious of but haven't done anything to give them a reason to pull them over. They always use the excuse that it's because red light cams (which are everywhere here) photograph the front plates but the plate law predates the red light camera technology.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts