GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...-of-general-motors-in-canada/article21895602/

New doubts are being raised about the future of the General Motors of Canada Ltd. vehicle assembly operations later this decade.

The current General Motors Co. product plan points to the end of vehicle production in Oshawa, Ont., and a cut at a plant in Ingersoll, Ont. to a single shift, said Joe McCabe, president of auto industry consulting firm AutoForecast Solutions LLC.

“By 2019, we have Oshawa completely shut down,” Mr. McCabe told the Automotive Parts Makers Association of Canada forecast conference Wednesday.

Each of the vehicle types made at the Canadian plants is scheduled to be made at another GM assembly plant in North America or has already been earmarked for transfer, he noted.

Full article at link....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Are production costs higher in Canada? Or are closure costs lower there?

GM has to deal with excess production capacity as it's market share drops - or more particularly as customer prefences change and want different types of vehicles.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Very unfortunate, but I know that Canada is an expensive place to build cars. Looks like GM has been quietly aligning themselves for an exit. If Ford, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota are smart and GM does pull out, they will market the hell out of the fact that they are 'local'.

I wonder if the manufacturing base is strong enough, and helped by proximity to the US (for suppliers that ship to both sides of the border) to avoid collapse, or if Canada auto manufacturing will suffer the same fate as Australia? It would be nice if GMs sales would drop, only to be picked up by Canadian-built models from other manufacturers.

Anyone have a list of the vehicles currently built in Canada?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Very unfortunate, but I know that Canada is an expensive place to build cars. Looks like GM has been quietly aligning themselves for an exit. If Ford, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota are smart and GM does pull out, they will market the hell out of the fact that they are 'local'.

I wonder if the manufacturing base is strong enough, and helped by proximity to the US (for suppliers that ship to both sides of the border) to avoid collapse, or if Canada auto manufacturing will suffer the same fate as Australia? It would be nice if GMs sales would drop, only to be picked up by Canadian-built models from other manufacturers.

Anyone have a list of the vehicles currently built in Canada?
It seems that Canadians do not care where the car comes from.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Blame the CAW! The UAW guys took a pay cut to save their jobs and took on their own pension pay from GM. Last contract, CAW received a "signing bonus". Its a different world from the past. Cheaper labour and people willing to give up "entitlements" to save their jobs is the norm now a days. Every model that is built in Oshawa is going to be phased out or moved to a different assembly plant.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh yeah , blame higher labor costs , blame whatever you would like to believe but remember this , wages are paid in Canadian dollars which are about 10% less than the american dollars . Corporate taxes are lower in Canada and the quality of the GM products , which have been made in Canada for years are above GM average . American Camaro enthusiast clubs made pilgrimages to the vehicle plant in Canada to take tours of the plant and thank them employees for the great quality and work put into the build . The Equinox , a best seller , is built here ! Three levels of municipal , province and Federal government put a huge contribution of over 10 billion dollars to help GM after bankruptcy to look to support production , help keep GM afloat .Now GM can't wait to shut down production here , thanks GM , thanks America . It is the resolve of your Government to reverse the lopsided difference to imports versus exports , as imports are much higher and are costing American jobs . So beat on your neighbors , especially Canada which stood by you through wars , peacekeeping throughout the world and the middle east where hundreds of Canadian soldiers lost their lives . A war , where Pres. Bush and his cronies misled Americans to believe Saddam had weapons of mass destruction . The effects of that colossal blunder saw the killing of millions , thousands of US soldiers , and the uprooting of millions more to refugee camps in neighboring lands , great job America . I knew what we were in for , here , when Obama told us that even frigging BUSES had to be built in the USA , BUSES ?? The negative uproar when he toured the land in a Prevost bus was big news , how could the Pres. do that , what a sacrilege ! The fact that Canada has spent untold billions of dollars on USA commercial,defensive planes , weapons systems , vehicles , is righteous , right ? Honestly , Americans are becoming the neer do well relative who is invited for supper and who proceeds to eat everything on the table , then pounds on the table for dessert . GM in Canada has been losing sales here to Ford , Chrysler and imports for years . When GM is gone here , Ford and others will pick up the most valuable resource , not the plants but the highly skilled workers who GM put so much money into training . Kind of like what Ford has done in Australia...how fitting , GM/Holden kicks in millions to a severance package for the workers there , then Ford walks in , scoops them up to build cars to be exported to China . This is the best laugh I've had for a long time . Frankly , can't wait for GM's departure here , there's an old saying , so true , " you get what you deserve " , ain't it the truth !

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have to agree, this is very disappointing. There was always a "comfort" knowing that GM had a stake in Canada (even if they weren't actually building the vehicles I drove here) . My last truck before my current one was built in Canada.
This could definitely make me not as adverse to looking at the other manufacturers, who are still thriving and building vehicles here.

What a shame

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
What vehicles do Honda and Toyota make in Canada? I believe there is a Lexus model in Cambridge, right? I'm really curious if Canadians tend to buy 'Built in Canada' or not.

Wasn't Hyundai hinting at building a plant in Canada a few years back? Seems unlikely, but it's a nice pipe dream!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Wasn't Hyundai hinting at building a plant in Canada a few years back? Seems unlikely, but it's a nice pipe dream!
Hyundai have a number of models sold in North America with insufficient plant capacity - to increase North American production as Sonata sales increase they had to end Santa Fe production and switch it to Kia, where they build it's Sorento sibling - but they don't have capacity to build the LWB Santa Fe so that has to be imported from Korea - which is restricting availability of Korean-built Santa Fe's for Europe.

Since Hyundai/Kia plan to continue their volume growth for the forseeable future, there's no reason why they won't open a plant in Canada if the economics are right - it'll help overcome price differentials between USA and Canada on US-built versions sold in Canada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts