GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Looks pretty good for the money. Just make sure it runs like it should. Insist on taking it out on a REAL test drive. Push it a little. See what lights pop on if any. Listen for noises. And if at all possible take it by an 3rd party mechanic to see if there's any obvious problems.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
There's a fellow in WI that refurbishes Fiero's and they do quite well on the road courses. One nice drop in is a Cadillac NorthStar motor.
Another engineer is supposed to travel to see the operation.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Previously, I reported that a Wisconsin shop rebuilds Fiero's. One of our members asked for contact info.
Aldino Car Company
P.O.Box 663
Oak Creek, WI 53154
e-mail: [email protected]

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That is a very good price, have a mechanic look at it though. With that kind of mileage could be worth around $3,000.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Based on the pictures, The Fiero has a new paint job. Engine bay looks reasonably clean for an 18yr old car! For $1,600.00 I'd jump @ it!

Ken

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Does he have another Fiero (red) in his driveway in one of those photos? If so, why is he unloading this one?
Passing the inspection at least gives you a feeling of security that the brakes won't fail on the way home.
$1600 is nothing these days. So, take a chance. You can always sell it for more.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a reply he sent me answering most of my questions:

The tires are new (as mentioned in the web site), the clutch works fine, all accessories work. Oil pressure is around 50's on the highway (maybe a little more - I haven't watched it too closely in a while)...idle varies depending on temperature (of course), but is normally around 60 - 70 when cold out (the readings are similar to my Formula). But the oil pressure sending unit is starting to get a little jumpy, so I think the sending unit will need to be replaced in not too long.

When cold, it idles a little high (like 1200 or so) as it should. I never worry too much about cold idle...I always focus on (and have trouble with) idle after the engine is warm. The GT idles great when warm...and does the right thing when cold. No skipping.

Yes it was repainted to blue.

Reason for selling...I have 5 cars in a driveway meant for 4!! I have my turbo Camry (that I have put a lot of work into making a turbo), my 88 Formula...which I have also rebuilt and the 86 GT. So the 86 was chose to be sold. But I think I am going to convert the Formula to a GT so I can still have my fastback!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm kind of concerned with what I marked in bold, it makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It seems like a honest guy! I asked half the questions when I bought my gta, and payed almost three times te price. You can't really tell untill you take it for a spin and to the shop for verification...

The only reason for the low price seems to be the broken bumper, but then again, this can be easily fixed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For $1600, I'd take it, assuming that it was well behaved on a test drive.

Not sold on the color....but it does look like its in pretty good shape. Headliner's an easy fix, and bumper should be, too.

As for your concerns about idle, I'm not sure. It seems in the sentance immediately following the one you bolded, he says the GT idles great....maybe the sentance you bolded he was talking about the Formula?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@Jun 11 2004, 03:25 AM
When cold, it idles a little high (like 1200 or so) as it should. I never worry too much about cold idle...I always focus on (and have trouble with) idle after the engine is warm. The GT idles great when warm...and does the right thing when cold. No skipping.
sounds like he's saying that the GT idles a little high when cold, but he'd only worry about a car (hypothetical) if it has idle problems when warm. and since the GT idles fine when it's warm, he's not worried about the car.

buy it man and tell me all about it... i wanna live vicariously through you!

·
Registered
768 Posts
A good source for Fiero information is Pennocks Fiero Forum. I have found this to be a very valueable sourch for the only fiberglass Pontiac made. The only Pontiac not shared with Chevrolet!!!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
I found my 88 in the classified section at the Michigan Fiero club website. I used to have Trans Ams, untill the divorce!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Than's for your comments 88Fiero.....I ended not buying this car because My dad said he got bad vibes, anyway I did just join Pennock's about a week ago and visit there now as often as I do GMI. Still do plan to purchase one though, just need some more money first ;).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts