GM Inside News Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Mary Barra doesn't realise how much she has pissed off Australia. Even Ford fans are pissed off at her for what she has done to Holden. Nothing from GM will work except for an apology and re investment in Australia and manufacturing in Australia.
Too late, what's done is done and the Holden folk have moved on now.
Once you close down those plants and disband the supplier base, it's gone.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mary Barra doesn't care how much she has pissed off Australia. Even Ford fans are pissed off at her for what she has done to Holden. Nothing from GM will work except for an apology and re investment in Australia and manufacturing in Australia.
Fixed it for you :)

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Fixed it for you :)
Sad but true.

Also, Ford fans must be a lot nicer than their counterparts in the US. Here, they're eagerly awaiting the demise of the Camaro so they can dance on it's grave. All I can say is at least GM didn't inbreed the Camaro with an Equinox to get an electric CUV like Ford did with the Mustang. Except the Blazer dashboard does look suspiciously Camaroish. A case of more than just kissing your cousin? :eek:

Then again, if you do mix Camaro DNA with that of an Astro minivan you'd have a bunch of baby 'Castros' running around. Maybe they could help stem the relentless tide of CUVs taking over everything automotive.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Fixed it for you
Sad but true.

Also, Ford fans must be a lot nicer than their counterparts in the US. Here, they're eagerly awaiting the demise of the Camaro so they can dance on it's grave. All I can say is at least GM didn't inbreed the Camaro with an Equinox to get an electric CUV like Ford did with the Mustang. Except the Blazer dashboard does look suspiciously Camaroish. A case of more than just kissing your cousin?

Then again, if you do mix Camaro DNA with that of an Astro minivan you'd have a bunch of baby 'Castros' running around. Maybe they could help stem the relentless tide of CUVs taking over everything automotive.
Camaro was never a real threat to factory RHD Mustang in Australia, which is around $30k cheaper for a start.....
Aussie Ford and Holden fans have lost their local products so there's a mutual misery shared by both camps.
Ford offering Mustang as a replacement for Falcon is a bit second prize, it's OK but
not a complete replacement for for the local four door sedan and it's greater utility.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Camaro was never a real threat to factory RHD Mustang in Australia, which is around $30k cheaper for a start.....
Aussie Ford and Holden fans have lost their local products so there's a mutual misery shared by both camps.
Ford offering Mustang as a replacement for Falcon is a bit second prize, it's OK but
not a complete replacement for for the local four door sedan and it's greater utility.
Yeah, that's why I specified Fordies in the US. I'm a Camaro fanatic but even I wouldn't pay 20,000 USD extra for the privilege of driving a comparable vehicle. Wouldn't be prudent.

Looks like Ford took the same path as GM in pulling production they just offered more palatable imports. Oh, yeah. There's also that RHD thing.

Also, while I prefer the Camaro that doesn't mean I hate the Mustang. Last I checked they were both inanimate objects. I'll save my hatred for the Kardashians. Animate objects. :)

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Yeah, that's why I specified Fordies in the US. I'm a Camaro fanatic but even I wouldn't pay 20,000 USD extra for the privilege of driving a comparable vehicle. Wouldn't be prudent.

Looks like Ford took the same path as GM in pulling production they just offered more palatable imports. Oh, yeah. There's also that RHD thing.

Also, while I prefer the Camaro that doesn't mean I hate the Mustang. Last I checked they were both inanimate objects. I'll save my hatred for the Kardashians. Animate objects. :)
Exactly, Ford Australia made it known at the time how important it was to lock in a commitment to the RHD Mustang,
that's where Holden differed to Ford, it's announcement on ending local manufacturing was made well after Ford
causing it to miss a time critical window to request a RHD Camaro as part of the Alpha development. Such a shame
that the relationship with the government soured so quickly, that left Holden with fewer import alternatives as the
longer term planning was just not there.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Exactly, Ford Australia made it known at the time how important it was to lock in a commitment to the RHD Mustang,
that's where Holden differed to Ford, it's announcement on ending local manufacturing was made well after Ford
causing it to miss a time critical window to request a RHD Camaro as part of the Alpha development. Such a shame
that the relationship with the government soured so quickly, that left Holden with fewer import alternatives as the
Subsequent events make perfectly clear that GM is abandoning the RHD market altogether.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
GM had the perfect chance to do a RHD Camaro with the fifth gen model and beat Mustang to the market by 5 years
It had already been engineered for RHD as it was based on the Holden Zeta platform.
But no, GM in its wisdom pulled the plug on that one.

Reactions: chinamonty

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
There was never any intention to do a RHD Camaro and from the moment the
zeta based gen 5 Camaro arrived, GMNA began planning it's replacement.

I was told by a highly respected contributor here on GMI that Aussie Mustang
sales would Peter out after about 5,000 sales because two door coupes just
don't sell well in Australia......Mustang is now around 21,000 sales and counting.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts

don't sell well in Australia......Mustang is now around 21,000 sales and counting.
Add to that 11,000 RHD Mustangs sold in the UK

·
Registered
12,692 Posts

But the sales have dropped off just like he said ……...

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts

But the sales have dropped off just like he said ……...
Of course they have but not for the reasons offered, the Mustang is getting older
so now there's less justification for current owners to trade their cars for new ones
that are perhaps seen as not different enough to their current vehicle.

·
Registered
12,692 Posts
Of course they have but not for the reasons offered, the Mustang is getting older
so now there's less justification for current owners to trade their cars for new ones
Coupes are fashion accessories

Once everyone has one it's no longer cool and different to own one and the sales drop

THats exactly whats happened

·
Registered
449 Posts
The supplier base is still there. They just moved on to make parts for other things and so saying that it is too late is wrong. Actually the F-35 has parts from Australian companies that use these former supplier base. Some of our new warships and the boeing loyal wingman project as well.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Coupes are fashion accessories

Once everyone has one it's no longer cool and different to own one and the sales drop

THats exactly whats happened
That's just the crap dribble the Holden boys put out to dismiss the Mustang,
It is clearly not like any other coupe, especially to the Ford brethren.
Bring out a new version and sales will pickup again...

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
The supplier base is still there. They just moved on to make parts for other things and so saying that it is too late is wrong. Actually the F-35 has parts from Australian companies that use these former supplier base. Some of our new warships and the boeing loyal wingman project as well.
The important part is that they have moved on, so even if by some miracle
Someone started building vehicles again, it's highly unlikely that those former suppliers
would be involved.

·
Registered
71 Posts
GM had the perfect chance to do a RHD Camaro with the fifth gen model and beat Mustang to the market by 5 years
It had already been engineered for RHD as it was based on the Holden Zeta platform.
And then you have Hyundai which sells the new generation Hyundai Veloster in Australia …. the only RHD market in the world to get it! Not only do they have to do the usual necessary RHD engineering elements for the vehicle for our market, but they also have to swap the two 'curb' doors from the left to the right side of the vehicle so that the rear door opens up on our gutter side for passengers to get in safely.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
And then you have Hyundai which sells the new generation Hyundai Veloster in Australia …. the only RHD market in the world to get it! Not only do they have to do the usual necessary RHD engineering elements for the vehicle for our market, but they also have to swap the two 'curb' doors from the left to the right side of the vehicle so that the rear door opens up on our gutter side for passengers to get in safely.
The RHD versions come from Thailand, so being produced for RHD Asian markets as well as Australia

41 - 60 of 86 Posts