GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry, got my Muppets mixed up, they all sing the same song in my books,
GM is far from perfect but the one thing keeping them in Australia was the
promise of coinvestment in new vehicles in return for the greater business
activity in our community, something the conservative government doesn't value...

I think that GM is wrapping up business in RHD markets, sale of Thai plant
confirms continued withdrawal from markets where GM can't justify a presence.
I think it's all too hard for them and they just want North America and China.

Hats off to Ford for facing the truth in Europe and actually doing something
about their problems and the flow on damage to markets like Australia.

Yeah well, 2 sides of the same coin aren't they. At least Labour did try to keep things afloat.
But why would they coinvest? They can save $$$ by letting foreign companies do it :lmao: Oh look, no more local ownership!

They've stated that they're out but I'm still trying to understand the point of GMSV or whatever they'll call it.
Yes and they can make big bucks doing little work. As Jeremy Clarkson once said, GM wants to make money without the pesky business of having to do anything like building cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Truth is, Americans just do not know how to make third world rides, its not what they do.

This is a third world ride

This is an American ride

however when an American thinks of a fully loaded pick up truck, this is what they think off

Oh, wow! Surely you're aware that your comment on "third world countries" might be construed as an insult? If not, perhaps sensitivity training may be in order.

It also doesn't help your case when you state US vehicles aren't designed for the third world and then back that up with pictures of them being used there. What's up with that?

duplicate post
No worries, it was worth saying twice.

·
Premium Member
32,725 Posts
Oh, wow! Surely you're aware that your comment on "third world countries" might be construed as an insult? If not, perhaps sensitivity training may be in order.

It also doesn't help your case when you state US vehicles aren't designed for the third world and then back that up with pictures of them being used there. What's up with that?

No worries, it was worth saying twice.
I do need a few years in the Gulag, Siberian Gulag, if I end up in the Wuhan Gulag, they might harvest my organs, not good at all.

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
ScoMo was minister for Immigration and Border Protection when Holden announced they were shutting local production. Joe Hockey (then treasurer) was the one who dared GM to leave, and they did. The muppet did such a good job that he lasted 2 years before racking off to the US. Abbott was a muppet too for that matter, didn't give a rats ass about local production or jobs.

One question I've got is, will GM still want to bother selling cars here post-COVID? Especially with the way the US economy is going and their rising infection numbers.
Ford were leaving before this became an issue.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
ScoMo was minister for Immigration and Border Protection when Holden announced they were shutting local production. Joe Hockey (then treasurer) was the one who dared GM to leave, and they did. The muppet did such a good job that he lasted 2 years before racking off to the US. Abbott was a muppet too for that matter, didn't give a rats ass about local production or jobs.

One question I've got is, will GM still want to bother selling cars here post-COVID? Especially with the way the US economy is going and their rising infection numbers.
Ford were leaving before this became an issue.
Ford also successfully transitioned a lot of its high value buyers away from
Falcon and Territory to Ranger, Everest and Mustang, Holden had nothing
like that in place WHEN GM pulled the plug on local manufacturing.

To me that kind of indicates that Holden wasn't originally intending to quit
local manufacturing as quickly as it did, a change of government in 2013
and the removal of funding promised under the former Labor government
set in motion a chain of events that Hockey and Abbott never anticipated.
Equally. Holden had no ambition of ever locally manufacturing SUVs that
people now wanted to buy, that lack of engagement doomed Holden.

As a Ford guy, I'd always wondered what if Holden just made the Commodore
a V8 only car, 5.3 V8 as the base and 6.2 for the high series sports versions.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
So now, GMSV gets to charge GM buyers an extra $30k-$40k converting GM LHD vehicles
........and they all loved happily ever after, LOL

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
So now, GMSV gets to charge GM buyers an extra $30k-$40k converting GM LHD vehicles
........and they all loved happily ever after, LOL
Or the Govt. could just allow new LHD imports like most other (enlightened) countries do.

We have no vehicle manufacturers to protect now.

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
Or the Govt. could just allow new LHD imports like most other (enlightened) countries do.

People we have now cant drive imagine the ****fight with LHD vehicles on the road?

Nah that would be crazy

NO good reason to allow LHD imports , its never been about protection of manufacturing just about common sense

·
Registered
7,818 Posts

Would allowing registration of LHD vehicles make much difference? It's only GM that would benefit as real global brands have RHD available already. The UK allows registration of LHD vehicles but very few are imported as most customers perceive them difficult to drive.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Truth is, Americans just do not know how to make third world rides, its not what they do.

This is a third world ride

This is an American ride

however when an American thinks of a fully loaded pick up truck, this is what they think off

At least the 3rd world ride fits into a standard carpark. Kinda important for most of the world. Just saying

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree they have completely screwed themselves in Australia. Unless GM reinstates manufacturing in Australia then GM is dead and buried. As soon as they sold Opel they should have announced they were going to keep making cars in Australia because the Commodore used parts from the GMNA parts bin. Such bad management in Detroit there is.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Would allowing registration of LHD vehicles make much difference? It's only GM that would benefit as real global brands have RHD available already. The UK allows registration of LHD vehicles but very few are imported as most customers perceive them difficult to drive.
That isn't going to happen because the government also hates GM and isn't going to allow something to make it easy for them unless they want to restart manufacturing again. The LHD registrations situation in the UK is because you have links to Europe which is LHD and so there is some sense to allowing LHD registrations. This situation does not exist for Australia and so there is no reason for this to occur. Car sales have been dropping significantly recently even before COVID19 and Holden isn't the only brand likely to drop out. Most of the smaller European brands will be saying good bye very soon because of this I dare say as well.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
No way should we do this. RHD or nothing.
IMHO ***AN as far the best market for "grey" imports and US cars are expensive and not in good shape compared to ***anese used cars
so if the goal is to allow MORE cars in ***AN IS A BETTER market being RHD and better/cheaper cars

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mary Barra doesn't realise how much she has pissed off Australia. Even Ford fans are pissed off at her for what she has done to Holden. Nothing from GM will work except for an apology and re investment in Australia and manufacturing in Australia.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts