GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this at Autonews.com - sorry no link (registered users only):

Ford to spend $325 million on new transmissions
DETROIT (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. on Thursday said it will spend $325 million to build six-speed automatic transmissions.The transmissions are designed for rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks, such as SUVs, and promise a 4 percent to 8 percent improvement in fuel economy.
...not to mention overall performance.

I thought this was the GM-Ford 6 speed we read about months ago, but it's for RWD cars, trucks, & SUVs, not FWD cars. Interesting. Is GM working on something like this?

Any chance of a 6-speed in a Suburban any time soon? <_< :p

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I don't thinks so.... not even Cadillac has 6 speed. It's sad.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by JDogg@Nov 24 2003, 07:07 AM
Keep your shorts on.

The X13R, X14R, X15R and X16R are looking at the '06 M/Y.
I am thinking they are some kind of transmission names, and they are debuting in '06 same year that the Impala/Grand Prix/Bonneville/Park Avenue/LeSabre go to Rear-Wheel-Drive...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE+Nov 25 2003, 06:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TaHoE @ Nov 25 2003, 06:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JDogg@Nov 24 2003, 07:07 AM
Keep your shorts on.

The X13R, X14R, X15R and X16R are looking at the '06 M/Y.
I am thinking they are some kind of transmission names, and they are debuting in '06 same year that the Impala/Grand Prix/Bonneville/Park Avenue/LeSabre go to Rear-Wheel-Drive... [/b][/quote]
http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo.../rwd_6speed.pdf

This should make up for all the 'just another 'ol 4-speed' comments in the magazines B)

My dad has a 2003 F350 with the new 6L diesel and 5 speed auto. I swear that extra gear (and the electronic system that controlls them) makes just as much difference as that incredible 6L.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts