GM Inside News Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,769 Posts
Yeah, sort of. I guess though what this really shows... is our age and that we remember that thing like we do. A lot of the young'uns wont :D.
The kids don't know what they're missing.
These are now classic muscle cars!

Still ugly as sin, no matter how much lipstick you put on it.

Their "digital magazine" about the Mav has a lot of info:

Page 18-19 shows how they've thought about the small bed, impressive, you can use the multiposition tailgate to haul 4x8 ply sheets on top of the wheelhousings. Strapped down.

I'm not in love with the grille/front design but I have to admit this is basically what I've been requesting for years, a compact AWD pickup at a reasonable price. I'd take an Ext Cab with longer bed myself, but I can see why they went with the four door.

I could even see getting the FWD Hybrid for around town use simply to get the MPG, compared to yet another boring crossover (with worse MPG). Nice job Ford.
Just come by the Neanderthal Grille Works. We can fix ya up with a new grill that you can also pull off when you're a-campin' and use as an actual grill. And stuff.
Just make sure it's cooled off before you grab it and attempt to re-install it.o_O

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,345 Posts
The Maverick is definitely lost to history, I didn't know it existed until this car. Originally this name was pinned to the Bronco Sport before they decided to make it a Bronco.
Wow. you a young'un ;) ? At any rate, I think the Maverick name would have worked over there on that Bronco Sport as well, but we have what we have now and all is good I guess.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I can really see a lot of small businesses buying these, especially in urban areas. Easy to park and fuel efficient.

This could be an issue. Ranger is not that great, this could easily outsell Ranger IMO.
Luckily the new Ranger is right around the corner as well.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't think the Lightning will be successful since it has a very short range for a commercial vehicle. As for the Maverick, it's probably just a low budget pickup truck for a cheap fleet with minimal margin.
The range is underestimated and besides - if you think the Lightning won’t be a successful addition to the BEST SELLING pickup line with everything from a base model to a Raptor to everything in between then you’re a bit mistaken. Okay, if you think the range will be its demise, what makes you think the grossly overpriced GMC Hummer will be more successful? I shouldn’t be assuming but I gather that’s what you probably think.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,265 Posts
if you think the Lightning won’t be a successful addition to the BEST SELLING pickup line with everything from a base model to a Raptor to everything in between then you’re a bit mistaken.
Yes, it will be a good addition, nothing more. But I meant success as part of the EV strategy.

Okay, if you think the range will be its demise, what makes you think the grossly overpriced GMC Hummer will be more successful?
The Hummer will not and should not be a mainstream product, it is a high end SUV/SUT as a demonstration of technology and brand prestige.

·
Registered
20,523 Posts
The Maverick is definitely lost to history, I didn't know it existed until this car. Originally this name was pinned to the Bronco Sport before they decided to make it a Bronco.
I'm 51 the Maverick was not a common car growing up, but being close to Pontiac, we were more of GM territory.

My buddies GF had one, it was her "poor college kid car, turned winter-beater".

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,345 Posts
I'm 51 the Maverick was not a common car growing up, but being close to Pontiac, we were more of GM territory.

My buddies GF had one, it was her "poor college kid car, turned winter-beater".
I remember them fairly well, and my grandmother had one also. It was a metallic olive green thing.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Still ugly as sin, no matter how much lipstick you put on it.

Just come by the Neanderthal Grille Works. We can fix ya up with a new grill that you can also pull off when you're a-campin' and use as an actual grill. And stuff.
Just make sure it's cooled off before you grab it and attempt to re-install it.o_O

Spanish Maverick they sold in the 90's Europe 5 years of close to zero sales, a rather odd looking Nissan based SUV. What does it say about it's owner (l am a bit of a knob).

No much thought ever went into the 90's Maverick grille (about 35 seconds at the most), it definitely needs the Neanderthal Grille Works midas touch.:D

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Of course I'd have to see one for real to see if I could stand that front end!
It wouldn't of hurt Ford's design department to go the extra mile, maybe very slightly rounded the front corners giving it slight better aerodynamics, and splashed out a bit more on a three bar grille to give it a bit more aesthetic buy me appeal.

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
The kids don't know what they're missing.
These are now classic muscle cars!
.o_O
And to think there was once a "sportier" trim called Grabber for the Maverick. Imagine what if Ford had put the Boss 302 under the hood. The Grabber would had gone against the Nova SS and the Duster 340.

Btw, the guys of Hemmings blog wondered if the Courier nameplate would had been better than Maverick?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I remember when the Maverick was introduced in 1969 as a new 1970 model. I was 15, and dreaming of when I would get my driver's license and get one of them as my car. The local dealer had one parked on the street in front of the showroom, bright red , 2 door, no options, $1,995 all across the windshield. My buddy and I were crawling all over that car checking it out. It was really just the next generation Falcon, with that name plate being moved up to the Torino mid sized body, as it's base trim. To me, the Maverick was a good looking little economy car until they had to put the big ugly 5 mph bumpers on it. Those early 2 door cars bring big money now, considering their humble beginning.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
So you want it to look less like a truck?
Nope absolutely not do you, what is your point?

I only round off slightly, and some body jumps on you LOL

The front end of Maverick is mess could have been done much better, hope the next generation Ranger does not get this new crap new face to be honest

Global Ranger is a much better looking truck at the front, the Ranger "Truck" kicked the Toyota Hiluxl off the top spot with this particular Ranger model in Europe.

Nope l don't want trucks to look like boring bland cars as much as you do, or become up under powered FWD crap that can't handle torque like the Maverick, prefer the Ranger or the F-150 myself. I still would like to the Maverick to be hit for For.

Nope l don't like wonky looking appliance car type boring dull trucks like a Mitsubishi L200 nobody buys them, do you like them RMC?

SSSSssss is this want you love RMC? Something like the US top 20 car market that's totally ruled by Japanese cars, an appliance market where every car looks the same as dull as ditchwater the only thing that separates the appliance cars is the Japanese reliability.
When that happens to the trucks or muscle car market l will give up. It has been kind of sad watching great US brands disappear like Holden, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac that Saturn think that boredom and all sells, and nice to see Hummer come back from the dead.

When trucks all become as dull as wonky L200, that will be death nail for Ford & GM as a company as they rely heavily on them for profits to keep thier overseas loss making concerns afloat, l don't thing they would survive turning the classic American trucks into boring dull car like boring blob appliance trucks.

Probably would go down the classic truck route never buy a new truck ever again if the world became a world of souless dull boring appliance trucks, and buy a proper truck something like an Appache to restore in retirement in the future.

Even old classics were rounded of slightly from an era when Detriot was thriving rather than the ghost town it has become today.

and maybe a nice proper car, something classic Corvette for track days.

You can round of a car or truck corners and they can still look great RMC.

Sod Greta, l will go out with big smile on my face with a couple of classic RMC523, if the automakers start delivering boring crap dull trucks in the future like L200's appliance truck souless car like boredom.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Nope absolutely not do you, what is your point?

I only round off slightly, and some body jumps on you LOL

The front end of Maverick is mess could have been done much better, hope the next generation Ranger does not get this new crap new face to be honest

Global Ranger is a much better looking truck at the front, the Ranger "Truck" kicked the Toyota Hiluxl off the top spot with this particular Ranger model in Europe.

Nope l don't want trucks to look like boring bland cars as much as you do, or become up under powered FWD crap that can't handle torque like the Maverick, prefer the Ranger or the F-150 myself. I still would like to the Maverick to be hit for For.

Nope l don't like wonky looking appliance car type boring dull trucks like a Mitsubishi L200 nobody buys them, do you like them RMC?

SSSSssss is this want you love RMC? Something like the US top 20 car market that's totally ruled by Japanese cars, an appliance market where every car looks the same as dull as ditchwater the only thing that separates the appliance cars is the Japanese reliability.
When that happens to the trucks or muscle car market l will give up. It has been kind of sad watching great US brands disappear like Holden, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac that Saturn think that boredom and all sells, and nice to see Hummer come back from the dead.

When trucks all become as dull as wonky L200, that will be death nail for Ford & GM as a company as they rely heavily on them for profits to keep thier overseas loss making concerns afloat, l don't thing they would survive turning the classic American trucks into boring dull car like boring blob appliance trucks.

Probably would go down the classic truck route never buy a new truck ever again if the world became a world of souless dull boring appliance trucks, and buy a proper truck something like an Appache to restore in retirement in the future.

Even old classics were rounded of slightly from an era when Detriot was thriving rather than the ghost town it has become today.

and maybe a nice proper car, something classic Corvette for track days.

You can round of a car or truck corners and they can still look great RMC.

Sod Greta, l will go out with big smile on my face with a couple of classic RMC523, if the automakers start delivering boring crap dull trucks in the future like L200's appliance truck souless car like boredom.
lol what are you talking about?

You're all over the place lol. You're the one that wanted a more curvy front end and then point out vehicles with rounded front ends asking if I like it?

If anything Chevy is the one that uses a T square and squared edges.

We're not going to agree, so no point in discussing further.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Not much point in discussing anything, if YOU are rewriting my posts, missing words out changing them to new words taking something out of context leaving out words attached to it like "very slight" you might as well not bother

Please keep rewriting my posts, can't be bothered, it's not my problem.

LOL "slightly" YOU omitted twisting my post around, "very slightly" rounded off the corners on a front end of a truck, YOU have added rewriting my posts from, l never mentioned the word "Curvy" not me! l never mentioned YOU did younger rewriting my my posts for me.

Looking at the two photos of the T6 global Ranger/Maverick my main emphasis was the 3 bar grille looks much better than the total crap one on the new Maverick, the T6 Global Ranger is not "curved" YOU mentioned the word curvy not me, the T6 Global Ranger has exactly the same big boxy shaped front end as the Maverick but it's "very slightly" rounded off in the corners

Just for the record absolutely loving the square edges around the rear cab of the next generation Chevy Colrado don't like the upward swooping door lines that create induced blind spots in the rear cab, the Colrado looking much better on all 4 sides of the trucks it definitely has 4/4 rating at the moment until until all the cameflage and covers come of it l reserve judgment on all 4 sides of the truck look great, the new Maverick looks absolutely tops on 3 side can only earn a 3/4 rating, the front end of it is absolutely dreadful the grille lets it down big time and l am not into writing war and peace with every post having to explain every nut bolt in great detail but l will just for you RMC, the Ranger photo in my has a big boxy front end as the Maverick Yes the dimensions will be different but the Ranger but it "VERY SLIGHTLY" rounded off in the extreme corners in the headlamp glass area phew! hope you get that . The main emphasis on the grille with Maverick/Ranger photos was the dreadful grille on the new Maverick the front end lets down for me personally definitely a 3/4 rated truck. Ford's Maverick will still sell very because more affordable the big plus and Ford make great trucks, on the downside there will be very little profit on the roof getting made on every Maverick Ford sell, every Maverick Ford sell hit the profitably of Ford truck the more Mavericks Ford sells, as it's bound to cannibalise other more profitable pick-up truck model. Maverick is great news for truck buyers, bad news for Ford's profitability.

When you had to lived with entire line-up with crap souless endless car boredom for the last two decades in places like Europe with a cash mountain sitting on the sidelines doing nothing worth buying from Ford or GM you would understand why the younger generation are getting more into generation Greta today they never enjoyed the great cars that were around in the 60s & 70's when you enjoyed loved every car in the entire Ford/GM line-up apart from the dull new boring Fiesta. Don't like boring bland dull appliance Mitsubishi L200 trucks that are "curvy" using your word for the first time in a post on here RMC. It's been very sad watching great American brands like Holden, Mercury, Oldsmobile, Pontaic, Plymouth, Saturn & Saab all get wiped out with boring dull bland cars that all looked the same, even poor ole Mopar have been swallowed up now by the French Stellantis Group funded by French taxpayers and it will be only the Ram & Jeep that will keep them profitable as group.

Default boxy Transit covid avoiding delivery vans and Rangers upward sales the commercial side of Ford is all that's making a tidy profit in Europe, and money sent in from F-150 profits very much is all that props up Ford of Europe at the moment, Ford stale dull boring bland car designs like GM Opel have been dragging the market share down massively in the last two decades in Europe RMC, going from loving every classic coke bottle shaped car loving every car in Ford & GM's entire line-up always in the showroom, to not liking a single car for years over the last two decades sadly watching both Ford & GM demise has been very sad not been much fun, it's obvious why Generation Greta don't like dull boring appliance cars are happy to live with out them, nice great to see the USA a different world have still got there classic American truck sitting at the top of the US sales charts, hoping the Maverick will be a great little truck to bring the youngsters into the truck market that they will use as a stepping stone to an F-150 lightning later on.

Sadly the same old "curvy" boring bland beige anodyne styling of "cars" of the last two has impacted US owned GM/Ford killed off a lot of great American brands that's not my problem, have gone from loving excited about everything to hating everything in Ford/Opel showrooms in Europe as far as "cars" over the last 50 years of driving, that's not my problem Americans seem to feel the same are just buying the more reliable Japanese appliance cars when all cars look the same reliability is all that separates them that's not my problem, you can cringe at the latest cars on offer in Ford/Opel showrooms that you haven't visited in the last two decades that's not my problem, you can cringe at the younger generation Greta not liking cars that's not my problem, you can cringe at the lack of American branded owned "cars" not in the US top 20 not my problem, and you can cringe at the massive fall off of market share "cars" at Opel & Ford of Europe not my problem.

Boring dull cars what was the word changed in my post for me RMC curvy Ford of Europe massive fall in market share that's not my problem, you can blame the Ranger/Transit for that.

Ford of Europe dead boring bland car design the market share heads slowly south

Ford of Europe boring showroom visits zero for "cars" since 1991.

Sadly with constant falling Ford of Europe's declining market share mainly from big batch no profits Avis Hertz marking share is where FOE cars live this all has to be propped up most of the time with North American truck profits over the past 30 years, when the F-150. Ford's most profitable era in Europe was the late in relative value of money terms sent nice big profits back to Detroit every year.

4/4 rating tops

Sadly it the poor ole F-150 profits in North America have had to carry big Ford of Europe constant market share & quarterly big losses most of the time.

Sadly watched the same thing happened but worse at Opel the losses were massive, use to always be in either in Ford's or Vauxhall showrooms in 60's & 70's loved nearly everything in line-up a Victor was last car l really liked ended up buying a new Mk1 Capri instead.

Opel/Vauxhall dead boring bland European "car" sales have been in a freefall for 30 years

Visits to a Vauxhall car/truck showrooms since 1993 zero, $25 billion dollar losses on FWD crap not my problem, use to visit them a lot in 60's & 70's.

4/4 rating all 4 sides of the truck look great

Sad to say it's been very sad watching the poor ole North American strong truck profits being used prop up this declining market Opel crap over the 30 years of constant market share declines, not my problem.

0/4 rating total crap what ever way you look at it's a total "loser", please Ford/GM no dull boring bland wonky car trucks like curvy loving obnoxious RMC loves wants to push.

Simply put if Ford and GM every went down the boring dull "curvy" ("curvy" your word, not mine RMC you now add words not in my last post, now you write for me) like the boring dull bland car like Mitsubishi L200 design in full size truck route that will be the end of the big truck profits both Ford & GM would go bust maybe get taken over. Current generation Colorado is horrible with it's rear cab door lines that swoop up as Autoblog said it's not hard to see how Toyota Tacoma reliability now sits on top of the mid sized truck market. Very pleased nice big rectangular rear cab roof/door pillars coming back to the next generation Colorado truck similar to those on the F-150, Silverado/Ram that sit at the top of the sales charts.

Back on thread topic

Ford Maverick

3/4 Rating, that front side plan view of the is absolutely dreadful the grille lets it down massively, would not surprise me the next generation Colorado has exact carbon copy of Fords badge holding bar 3/4 up the grille, rest of the Maverick the other 3 sides looks absolutely awesome a big sales win.

Personally l prefer something a bit bigger more capable a midsized truck.

4/4 rating (Provisional rating) next generation from what you can see of it looks absolutely superb it just looks great from every side, just the sort of truck l would want to buy personally looks like has what it takes to knock the Tacoma of it perch, will reserve final judgement wait until the covers come off as it's hard to tell what lies beneath it might be horrible again, absolutely loving the classic rectangular rear cab roof rear door pillar classic truck lines, it nice to see a full sized truck design that are the best selling vehicles in North America being put back into a mid sized truck that has got winner written all over it.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts