GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
In GMs defense we still haven't seen their best shot yet. They're sacrificing near term for long term. I always felt that there's a huge risk of turning off customers from the brand during that lull.
GM has been saying that for years. Always late to the party.....if they dont get lost on the way. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

·
Registered
320 Posts
First to market matters so little to customers. The right product at the right price point with real world useful features is what does matter. I can't imagine many potential customer caring where the battery came from or who created their own battery manufacturing plants first and who was second, and besides, that is a moot point in the near future anyway. I am still very curious as to how quickly EV's ramp up from 2% of total sales. I have seen estimates of 40% by 2030, and I am starting to believe that. But that's still 7or 8 million ICE/hybrid sales. And that does not even include commercial sales. I am also curious as to how automakers will decide on development monies toward ICE and hybrid by 2030. Are performance hybrids already passe? And let's not forget about the influence of public perception and smart marketing. Ford is getting some positive attention today I guess, but they do deserve it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
This will be a big hit for Ford. $23K for a mid trim midsize truck that gets 40 mpg in the city? And you wander if it will sell? Ford could care less if it eats into the Ranger sales, the Ranger is a ROW product anyways and other countries sales will pay the bills for its R&D.

·
Registered
20,523 Posts
Thank you.

It continues to boggle my mind that GMI members continue to praise Ford for being ahead of GM in EVs on the strength of the F150 Lightning which comes to market a year from now. In the meantime, the GMC Hummer EV pickup comes to market later this year--about six months before the F150 Lightning.
I think the three primary things with this are:
1) The Hummer EV coming out late 2021 is $120,000 (The F-150 starts at 1/3 of that).
2) We heard about "saw" the Hummer EV 16 months ago.
3) The Mustang Mach EV is already out and selling.

GM has been saying that for years. Always late to the party.....if they dont get lost on the way. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.
"Just wait until Next Year" - Does seems to be a reoccurring theme.....

First to market matters so little to customers. The right product at the right price point with real world useful features is what does matter.
GM has 4 brands full of "Mee Too" CUV's, for years we've been saying if GM is going to maintain 4 brands then they should have answers to "Subaru and Jeep Type" products, now we need to add Ford to that list?

This will be a big hit for Ford. $23K for a mid trim midsize truck that gets 40 mpg in the city?
This is another "Home Run" by Ford; and while it isn't a "real truck" satisfies the needs of many, 40 MPG, I could go to work and back, for 2-days on a gallon of gas!? WOW!

·
Premium Member
11,291 Posts
Maverick is a great little vehicle, it’s based on C2 (Bronco Sport/Escape/Transit Connect) and with that
hybrid XL starting around $20K, a lot of pressure is going to come back on compact utilities to offer
an affordable base hybrid for near same money……man, what a game changer that is pushing tech.

Lightning is an interesting product, mainly because Ford finally has a fourth main plant for F Series
and full sized SUVs. Sure, production of Lightning will be regulated by battery supply in 2022 but
that’s to be expec until Ford gains confidence building its first electric truck.

Meanwhile, the new Bronco is about to drop, god willing Ford will have enough chips for the second
half of the year. Last time I looked at the start of June, F Series inventory was down to just 75,000,
in normal times, it around 250,000.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

Wow Ford's massive sales failure from 90's Maverick is back (Used Nissan Primera parts in the Maverick was a Terrano II), it has resurfaced as a pick-up truck.

Very impressive MPG hybrid and base model price, might end up cannibalising a lot of Fords more profitable truck sales, a bit of an unknown quantity if it will win Ford a lot of buyers from other non-pick-up cars/SUV's. Will do very well in poor countries like South America & South Africa hopefully it won't cannibalise to many Ranger sales

Still prefer what l can see of the next generation mid-sized Colorado that's coming, would a smaller Chevy LUV be worth doing again, why was it cancelled in the US last time?

·
Registered
17,737 Posts
I suspect Ford has a success on their hands, good for them.

I also suspect GM has not lost its mojo, we are in a lull until the BEV's start coming out.

Remember the past several years where virtually nothing came out of Ford and GM has been cranking? Now it is the reverse, GM is in a lull, but I suspect the tide will again turn and GM will be cranking come 2 or 3 years from now (or they better be :D)

However, I do expect GM is starting top end and moving down. So GM will have really cool stuff at the high end - Lyric, Hummer & Celistiq and whatever else we don't know about, probably be awhile until we see something from GM that will compete with the Bronco, including price.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This thing is going to end up being ridicuously successful. By the time GM has an answer for it the 2nd generation of the Maverick will probably already be in production.
I can really see a lot of small businesses buying these, especially in urban areas. Easy to park and fuel efficient.

Doesn't look too bad. I think many people will find a use for a cheap, small truck like this. I just wonder what it'll do to Ranger sales.
This could be an issue. Ranger is not that great, this could easily outsell Ranger IMO.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I suspect Ford has a success on their hands, good for them.

I also suspect GM has not lost its mojo, we are in a lull until the BEV's start coming out.

Remember the past several years where virtually nothing came out of Ford and GM has been cranking? Now it is the reverse, GM is in a lull, but I suspect the tide will again turn and GM will be cranking come 2 or 3 years from now (or they better be :D)
It is a very nice truck the finish inside is very high end for 19.000 price tag it seems to have all the mod cons, lots of nice touches inside lots of storage spaces, plug -in point for power tools Ann air compressor.

It is a nice little truck, love the nice big practical rear cab glass superb visibility no blind spots, Ford know how to design a decent small truck.

Front end could have been a bit a better.

37-40 MPG in town from the hybrid is very impressive for a pick-up

Like slots above the rear wheel arch compensate create more room in the bed, wonder how long the bed liner will last with constant heavy load abuse .

Wow that's a big load for small truck looks like the truck will tip up, would not like to be following it up a steep hill. Carrying 4x8 try fitting that in the back of a Fiat 500/Mini that are more expensive to buy

You can create few useful handy compartments using the slots for a fishing trip

A nice little storage space for a small toolbox under the rear seats

Cabin looks of a high quality well kitted out for 19k

Smaller truck obviously, will be easier to park

Restraining strap attachment doubles up as a Bud opener, Ford just sold me a truck.

1 power point, standing up on the bed is always handy for trimming the front hedge standing on the bed

A tyre inflator, has obviously got a proper spare wheel that drops on a chain.

Mood lighting in the bed.

Only one cup holder a big fail, that will fill the USB/Hoover point with coffee. Drinks storage just two cup holders in the front one in the rear, that's not good.

Infotainment you get a lot of mod cons for the money

A nicely kitted out cabin, nice easy to select drive

Will attract a few new buyers like woman who own ponies or live on a farm, that want a practical hybrid that have been bored to tears driving a useless unpractical Prius you can get a bit more in the truck when you visit a garden centre..

Will cope better than a Prius at towing that can't pull a skin off a rice pudding.

Ford's Maverick lots for the money it costs 40 MPG is amazing, lots of capability per buck, when you look at a very expensive unpractical Mini or Fiat 500L golf carts that probably carry a few loafs of bread, that cost a fortune the rear passenger heads are almost touching rear window is a rear end shunt you are a gonna, at least you have got nice long bed on the Maverick, heavier higher up position offers much better crash protection than a low seat light golf cart, if your family in the back just walk away from an accident in a Maverick as opposed to dying in the back of a Fiat 500 or Mini golf car that got to be worth more than all the money in the world, the Maverick pick-up is thousands of dollars cheaper.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
While I do believe the Maverick will be a success for Ford, let's not kid ourselves on the base price. The cheapest MSRP available will be $21,490 after MANDATORY "destination" charge from Mexico. We've yet to see an absolute base model.

A also believe Ford purposely made the grill/nose area homely to entice intenders to pay more for the Ranger. I like the Maverick's mission and agree it's a great value compared to any remaining compact car competition.

Reactions: dannyg

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,244 Posts
While I do believe the Maverick will be a success for Ford, let's not kid ourselves on the base price. The cheapest MSRP available will be $21,490 after MANDATORY "destination" charge from Mexico. We've yet to see an absolute base model.
That $21.5K is roughly the MSRP of say a base FWD LS Chevy Trailblazer with zero options. I could be convinced to get a FWD Trailblazer over a FWD Mav, even though the MPG is worse, but I think it'd take some discounting to do it. In other words, if they're the same price (based on pictures) I think I'd take the Mav. Of course I'd have to see one for real to see if I could stand that front end!

GM offers hybrids in China, they should offer them here too...

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I am so curious to see how many economy car customers this converts, they will certainly get even more conquest sales. This sort of vehicle reminds me of a Subaru in many ways; an affordable, flexible, thoughtful, quirky, economical utility. It brings yet more customers to the Ford Truck world. The design is purposeful in every detail, nothing wasted.

I love the way Ford has innovated its way out of the sedan stagnation.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,244 Posts
I haven't seen any reports about the MPG of the 2.0T AWD version, but I'm assuming it'll bee around the Bronco Sport's 21 city / 26 highway.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,345 Posts
I could tolerate the base model in this nice blue.
I noticed in the video it seemed they were a little off to the side on those dirt roads instead of right down the middle of the two track maybe for a bit better look and clearance... or was it just my imagination? :)

·
Premium Member
35,769 Posts
This looks like a solid package. Too bad I can't shake the association in my mind with the original POS Maverick. Bart and Brett would agree. I think.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts