GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After showing off its F-150 Hybrid, Mustang Mach-E and the electric F-150 Lightning, Ford's latest electrified addition to a mostly-carless lineup is this compact pickup, the Maverick. Set to go on sale later this year with a base MSRP of $19,995 (plus mandatory $1,495 destination fee that brings its price to $21,490), the Maverick claims to be the first truck that comes standard with a hybrid powertrain. Ford announced the name's comeback last week, as it was used in the 70s for a fuel-efficient compact coupe/sedan.

https://www.engadget.com/ford-maverick-hybrid-pickup-100057297.html

·
Premium Member
8,659 Posts
Indication of a new product potential blockbuster:

Ford website, 06-08-2021 @ 10:18am:

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,244 Posts
Their "digital magazine" about the Mav has a lot of info:

Page 18-19 shows how they've thought about the small bed, impressive, you can use the multiposition tailgate to haul 4x8 ply sheets on top of the wheelhousings. Strapped down.

I'm not in love with the grille/front design but I have to admit this is basically what I've been requesting for years, a compact AWD pickup at a reasonable price. I'd take an Ext Cab with longer bed myself, but I can see why they went with the four door.

I could even see getting the FWD Hybrid for around town use simply to get the MPG, compared to yet another boring crossover (with worse MPG). Nice job Ford.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Is it safe to say Ford is currently eating GM's lunch right now, the Lighting got a huge pop and rightfully so, this one has shut their website down with the reaction to it. And the Mach-E, love it or hate it, is doing pretty well for Ford right now. GM has no product on their lots by me, and i mean nothing, they are all essentially used car lots right now! While both Ford and Dodge have somehow remained to at least give the presence that they still sell new cars!

To me i see two company's Ford and Dodge that are just doing it better then GM right now.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Is it safe to say Ford is currently eating GM's lunch right now, the Lighting got a huge pop and rightfully so, this one has shut their website down with the reaction to it. And the Mach-E, love it or hate it, is doing pretty well for Ford right now. GM has no product on their lots by me, and i mean nothing, they are all essentially used car lots right now! While both Ford and Dodge have somehow remained to at least give the presence that they still sell new cars!

To me i see two company's Ford and Dodge that are just doing it better then GM right now.
In GMs defense we still haven't seen their best shot yet. They're sacrificing near term for long term. I always felt that there's a huge risk of turning off customers from the brand during that lull.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

I don't know if I'd go that far, but its hard to argue with the success of their new product. Outside of the Explorer, which I think is mediocre, they are pretty much nailing it. Bronco, Mach E, Raptor, Lightning, F150 Powerboost/Hybrid, Maverick, etc.....are all dang good.

Reactions: Rocket 88

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm not a Ford guy, but I like it. I hope GM answers this but I don't think they have to worry short term since they do offer lower trims and specs on the Colorado where the Ranger is mostly mid to top trims. Where GM will have to worry is when Ford decides to make a Maverick EV.

·
Super Moderator
20,949 Posts
I'm not a Ford guy, but I like it. I hope GM answers this but I don't think they have to worry short term since they do offer lower trims and specs on the Colorado where the Ranger is mostly mid to top trims. Where GM will have to worry is when Ford decides to make a Maverick EV.
Part of me wonders if GM does have something similar in the works but won't even bother with an ICE powertrain, just straight to EV.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Background : I brought a 2021 Toyota sienna hybrid and after owning it ,i am sure electrification is the way ahead. I am 100% sure the electrics will take over the powertrain because its so smooth and efficient. Provides somewhere 40 mpg with 7 people.

I do think the model VOLT and Pacifica (didnt buy because i was not sure the company had capabilty to support the product in long term: but yes its a great lead product ) put out will be very much work for future till batteries going cheap .

So Mavrick will get a good acceptance in City and I do see crossovers are taking over trucks also in cities.

On the GM side, I always said the Traverse platform was the one to offer Voltec on the Volt discontinuation. But GM just lives in hallucinations .. The Traverse transmission is now considered a least reliable one which requires a rebuild in 100k miles. The Traverse with Voltec and electric AWD was a product of yesterday and a Truck based on it was a correct evolution and a BEV on same in future ( or even some other technology )

The problem with GM is they are just seeing only the future and they are missing the bridge products completely.Customers need bridge products to build confidence. I have seem people who are interested in fully electric , i have talked to some others i thought they are ready for fully electric but they told we dont have charging, some told we need quick fill , some told battery costs ...

So hybrids/Plugin hybrids (example : the model honda,mitsubishi etc follows is simple hybrid where almost all time the transmission works as serial hybrid and only other case is engine direct drive on higher speeds : very simple but effective, the same having a big battery works as plug-in hybrid . GM on other hand has Voltec and a good BEV motor for AWD from Bolt ) are the best confidence products from another 10 years may be more . I do understand supporting a transmission across all dealerships ( training technicians etc are costs but they should be delt in new ways/innovations ex: with centralized diagnostics team , experts etc ) . Hummer EV is not for every one. Bolt on other side doesn't compete/have glamour to compete with Tesla products. The Voltec Traverse was the right one and Truck based on it would have been step forward.

Least the good part is Ford seems putting right products out ...

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. I think many people will find a use for a cheap, small truck like this. I just wonder what it'll do to Ranger sales.

Reactions: Oldsmobile stopped

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I’m not a Ford guy either (although I loved my 1984 Thunderbird V8). Ended up in a 2019 Ranger on a cheap lease and have been quite happy. Nothing against GM but they don’t seem so enthusiastic about product. I grew up in a GM family so I hope they get some more mojo back.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Where GM will have to worry is when Ford decides to make a Maverick EV.
GM need not worry because GM has access to way more batteries.

GM's joint venture battery factory in Ohio is half built and another one has been approved in Tennessee.

Ford is expected to finalize the formation of a JV Battery Company with SK Innovations this summer. Ford is at least two years behind.

It matters not if Ford EVs are more compelling or have a bigger selection. They don't have the batteries. In the short term their only other option would be to pay a premium on Chinese made batteries and ship them over. That would kill their margins and the optics would look fantastic ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
GM need not worry because GM has access to way more batteries.

GM's joint venture battery factory in Ohio is half built and another one has been approved in Tennessee.

Ford is expected to finalize the formation of a JV Battery Company with SK Innovations this summer. Ford is at least two years behind.

It matters not if Ford EVs are more compelling or have a bigger selection. They don't have the batteries. In the short term their only other option would be to pay a premium on Chinese made batteries and ship them over. That would kill their margins and the optics would look fantastic ;)
GM may have the access to batteries but they aren't putting them in anything yet on dealer lots minus the Bolt. Hummer is supposed to come out by years end and Lyriq next year but those are both top end products, nothing to sell to the masses like the Lightning and Mach-E.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts

I highly doubt it...There was a large internet outage earlier in the day that affected many sites. I'm betting Ford was just part of that glitch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
GM may have the access to batteries but they aren't putting them in anything yet on dealer lots minus the Bolt. Hummer is supposed to come out by years end and Lyriq next year but those are both top end products, nothing to sell to the masses like the Lightning and Mach-E.
Ford has sold 26k Mach-e to the "masses" Globally in 2021. Ford has enough batteries for ~50k Mach-e in 2021.

Ford, by its own admission, will have "limited production" of the Lightning in 2022. Starting production in "Spring 2022."

Doesn't looks like masses of customers are getting Ford BEVs in either 2021 or 2022.

BTW Like I said. GM's 30 GWh battery factory in Ohio is half built. Not producing batteries. You can't have Ultium cars in dealer lots before the Ultium battery factory is built.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,266 Posts
Part of me wonders if GM does have something similar in the works but won't even bother with an ICE powertrain, just straight to EV.
Yes, GM do Brasil is developing 4-door unibody FWD pickup for South America with ICE powertrains, but I doubt it will arrive in the USA.

Outside of the Explorer, which I think is mediocre, they are pretty much nailing it. Bronco, Mach E, Raptor, Lightning, F150 Powerboost/Hybrid, Maverick, etc.....are all dang good.
I don't think the Lightning will be successful since it has a very short range for a commercial vehicle. As for the Maverick, it's probably just a low budget pickup truck for a cheap fleet with minimal margin.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Ford has sold 26k Mach-e to the "masses" Globally in 2021. Ford has enough batteries for ~50k Mach-e in 2021.

Ford, by its own admission, will have "limited production" of the Lightning in 2022. Starting production in "Spring 2022."

Doesn't looks like masses of customers are getting Ford BEVs in either 2021 or 2022.

BTW Like I said. GM's 30 GWh battery factory in Ohio is half built. Not producing batteries. You can't have Ultium cars in dealer lots before the Ultium battery factory is built.
Thank you.

It continues to boggle my mind that GMI members continue to praise Ford for being ahead of GM in EVs on the strength of the F150 Lightning which comes to market a year from now. In the meantime, the GMC Hummer EV pickup comes to market later this year--about six months before the F150 Lightning.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts