GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Focus production to expand to second plant in 2010

n yet another sign of the times at Ford, it looks like the factory that builds what was not so long ago the best-selling SUV on the plant is shifting gears. Ford's Louisville, KY assembly that has built the Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer for two decades will switch to building small cars in 2010. The current Focus will be replaced by a model developed by Ford of Europe at that time and production will be expanded from the current Wayne, MI assembly location location to Louisville. With the latest capacity increase at Wayne, Ford has capacity for 280,000 Focuses a year.
The new Euro-designed Focus will come in sedan and five door hatchback body styles when it arrives. With the shift to a common platform, current Europe-only variants, including the C-Max compact MPV, are likely to join the U.S. lineup. The new compacts will get direct injected engines and six-speed automatic and manual transmissions to further enhance fuel economy.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Cobalt replacement and new Focus better be DANG good and that 9mpg increase better be true also. Imagine a Chevy compact that gets 4mpg better than a Civic?

use that in advertising!!!

CobatlSS

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cobalt replacement and new Focus better be DANG good and that 9mpg increase better be true also. Imagine a Chevy compact that gets 4mpg better than a Civic?

use that in advertising!!!

CobatlSS
I doubt if the Civic mileage will be standing still. The Chevy compact needs to move to the 1.4 turbo, direct injection, dual clutch transmission, lighter weight, BAS+ and better aerodynamics just to stay even.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Just a small correction -the 2012 MkIII C2 Focus is being developed in Dearborn - not EU.

Igor
Hey Igor so are we going to get the current euro focus thats supposed to get a refresh by 2010 and then the new global focus in 2012

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
was gonna try & comment but my reply got too confusing
can I ask a favor?
Please everyone try to use CY = CalendarYear or MY = ModelYear with dates

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
yay for six speed manuals! :cool: At least Ford supports us manual-drivers

Is the Explorer/Mounty made at any other plants?

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
^ Nope -Explorer, Mountaineer and SportTrac are just Louisville
I expect the first 2 to go to Chicago for unibody versions
believe NO retooling is needed ^there for that - so could happen as soon as the design & suppliers are finalized

·
Registered
928 Posts
so we might see the Explorer and MM go away for the 2010/2011 MY and then return to chicago as another unibody crossover> i think the focus news is excellent, but does ford really need another large crossover? the taurus x will prob be going away but I think the edge, flex, and explorer as well as escape being unibody X-overs could be redundant

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
so we might see the Explorer and MM go away for the 2010/2011 MY and then return to chicago as another unibody crossover> i think the focus news is excellent, but does ford really need another large crossover? the taurus x will prob be going away but I think the edge, flex, and explorer as well as escape being unibody X-overs could be redundant
I don't see why the newExplorer couldn't come out next year 2009cy/2010my

&
might be able to justify all 5 Cuvs
Escape -smallest(for now)
Edge - trend-setter
Explorer - a bit bigger & more rugged
TaurusX - bestbuy/value 7 pass
Flex - top of the line 7 pass

but
kinda think the Cuv/Suv/People'n'stuff-Movers/minivan-alternatives
will go thru a number of changes and revisions AND new ideas in the next few years
if I was gonna bet which names will still be around in 5-10years
I'd bet on the 3 E's

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Hey Igor so are we going to get the current euro focus thats supposed to get a refresh by 2010 and then the new global focus in 2012
the all new 2011 (MY) Focus - assembly will begin in 2010.

The Louisville info is still a rumor - there are other ones out there - but one thing is for sure - Louisville is getting a car in 2010 (but it might be the Fusion, only derivatives of Focus, etc).

Igor

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
About time the Euro Focus comes stateside. The current model is not the looker even if it sells well. The new Focus will do even that much better.

·
Registered
928 Posts
About time the Euro Focus comes stateside. The current model is not the looker even if it sells well. The new Focus will do even that much better.
But it is selling... Same cant be said for the newer corolla on a new platfrom. Ive seen alot of '08 focus on the road

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Again, over 42K Corollas were sold in June...how the hell is this a "slowdown"? It may have been true that Corolla sales slowed while Toyota was getting the new car production up to speed, but as June shows they are now there.

AMERICA123 is so "anti-Toyota" it's not even funny. GM and Ford would be dancing on the ceiling if they sold 42K Cobalts or Focuses last month.

Bottom line...numbers don't lie.

Again, I don't like the car and wouldn't buy one (I'd take a Mazda 3 instead), but I see a lot of the new ones around these days, and the sales numbers for June back this up.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Hell yeah, bringing the hatch AND with a manual. BOLD MOVES indeed! :bounce: :hyper: :clap: :drive:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts