GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As is well known by now, Ford and Navistar have parted ways and the Blue Oval is developing diesel engines in-house to replace the PowerStroke lumps still being used. Slated to appear in Ford's trucks by 2011, the new oil burner code-named Scorpion is a 6.7-liter V8 with a host of innovations, some of them seemingly borrowed from cross-town rival GM.

But the first thing you'll notice is that mammoth radiator. PickupTrucks.com estimates that the cooler up front is up to 20-percent larger than the one on the 2008 Super Duty, and that one had already been enlarged by 33-percent over its forebear. The extra cooling could be needed for "extreme towing applications", and if there's one truck that's an extreme tower, it's the F-Series Super Duty.

The Scorpion diesel's innards will be enhanced with reversed intake and exhaust flow, something found on GM's Duramax diesel, and lighter aluminum cylinder heads. Nor will the Scorpion sacrifice mpg for its extra oomph: gains of 40 hp and 70 lb-ft will come with three more miles-per-gallon thanks in part to the truck's new 6-speed tranny that's debut as we speak on the new F-150.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/ne...rhood-pics-of-ford-scorpion-diesel-spied.html

Addititonally, I had no idea how powerful the existing 6.4L version was:
With its 6.4L displacement and dual-sequential turbochargers, the Power Stroke® V8 turbo-diesel cranks out a maximum 350 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque. For applications like snow plowing that need lots of low-end muscle, it can produce its peak torque at only 2,000 rpm. And thanks to the precision of the Piezo-actuated fuel injectors, the engine will start in under 2 seconds at -20°F.

That means the new engine could produce up to 400 HP and a mind boggling 720 LB Ft. of torque mated to the 6 speed auto and Ford's gotta keep those Piezo fuel injectors for cold starts.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
But the engine is not to be started at below -20 F without being plugged in.

I wounder why they make refference to the 4.5L Durammax, rather than Ford's 4.4L for the F 150?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Maybe GM is being very very tight lipped about the next duramax... however, I do hope the Scorpion will make up for the craptastic powerstrokes they have made.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Dunno, Doh. But I wonder if GM has an answer to Ford's new diesel. Surely the current Duramax can't compete with the Scorpion!
GM has been tight lipped about the new duramax but testers that have the new duramax have been shot out in the wild

·
Registered
994 Posts
and lighter aluminum cylinder heads.

Instantly all the Ford McLovin' kool-aid drinking robots change their tune and boast about how good aluminum heads are on a diesel after bashing the Duramax for the same thing for, oh what is it now, 8 or 9 years?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Instantly all the Ford McLovin' kool-aid drinking robots change their tune and boast about how good aluminum heads are on a diesel after bashing the Duramax for the same thing for, oh what is it now, 8 or 9 years?
What's wrong with Aluminium Heads on a diesel? Is this the old 5 bolts verses 6 bolts head thing again? Come on they are not even released yet.

Of the 60 something 6.0L Power Strokes we have sold, only 1 has had it's heads removed so far. Infact it's engine was replaced due to a valve dropping. It was the only engine replace we have done, out of 60 plus 6.0L's in our area.

I have heard of 1 Duramax customer that has had 2 engines in one truck in our area. I have talked with him personally, the first engine had 1 valve spring retainer missing from the factory, (which i can understand) the second "Self Destructed" (his words)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sure hope so too. Although, after reading about GM's debt as it stands right now, I dunno if they could afford to produce anything else!
Yeah I think Ford just lucked out and decided to put funds into diesels for trucks before the automotive collapse occurs in the next few years. I just hope its somewhat fuel efficient.

That makes sense, i just think Ford was robbed of the engine it deserved with navistar. The Powerstroke line could have been so much better, and considering the amount of HD trucks Ford sells, you'd think they would focus on building a better diesel sooner. In house means that ford has nobody to blame but themselves, im sure it will be 100% better than any previous offering in a Ford HD truck

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
That makes sense, i just think Ford was robbed of the engine it deserved with navistar. The Powerstroke line could have been so much better, and considering the amount of HD trucks Ford sells, you'd think they would focus on building a better diesel sooner. In house means that ford has nobody to blame but themselves, im sure it will be 100% better than any previous offering in a Ford HD truck
That makes sence also, being that International looked after them through the 6.5L years, in which GM failed wickedly, but Cummins did keep Dodge in the diesel market, Heck Volkswagon even jumped into the Boating Market, with thier 120-190 HP diesel engines.(which I even looked at)

The 6.0L was a dissapointment, after the indistructive 7.3L Power Stroke, so yes Ford was robbed. But the 6.4L has been a great power plant, except "Ford" has already lost 50% of thier diesel engine customers. (Too pricey to purchae, too unrealible, too exspensive too run)

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Yeah I think Ford just lucked out and decided to put funds into diesels for trucks before the automotive collapse occurs in the next few years. I just hope its somewhat fuel efficient.

Apparently it will be
Scorpion fuel economy is expected to improve by 3 mpg or more versus the current Power Stroke. Helping the Scorpion's mileage will be a new six-speed automatic transmission, like the 2009 Ford F-150 has.

·
Registered
994 Posts
What's wrong with Aluminium Heads on a diesel?
I seem to miss where I said there was a problem with that. Do you want to enlighten me?

Obviously I DON'T have a problem with it, I own a Duramax.

It's just that a good number of so called 'hard core' Ford boys said a 'real' diesel didn't use aluminum heads. IE. that was their way of slamming the D-Max.

Is this the old 5 bolts verses 6 bolts head thing again?
Again, where in my post did I mention head bolts? Would you care to point it out for me please.

Of the 60 something 6.0L Power Strokes we have sold, only 1 has had it's heads removed so far. Infact it's engine was replaced due to a valve dropping. It was the only engine replace we have done, out of 60 plus 6.0L's in our area.

I have heard of 1 Duramax customer that has had 2 engines in one truck in our area. I have talked with him personally, the first engine had 1 valve spring retainer missing from the factory, (which i can understand) the second "Self Destructed" (his words)

I don't care about your personal anecdotes doh.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^So does Doh represent Ford/ Powerstroke? I want a Dodge guy in here too, to bring another aspect of large HD American trucks. Im just glad we can reserve this segement for the good ole' US, I die the day Nissan and Toyota enter the HD market.

Also, all the SD Ford's need now is a not fugly front end, sure its brash and tough looking, but its sooo overdone. I do like how its totally different looking than a F-150, but it needs to be toned down.

·
Premium Member
6,308 Posts
Well, one dumb thing in that article, is how they reference the 6-speed trans in the F150. They talk like they are getting the same trans. Not even close.

The Torqshift trans already has 6 gears, they just use 5 at any given time. They have a choice of 2 2nd gears, and will use the best one depending on the situation. Thus, making it a true 6-speed will not be difficult at all.

I have an '08 F250 and love it.................. and think it looks great. After having owned it for 3 months, the older versions now look completely bland. If you have ever looked under the hood, you would know why they have this huge grille. The radiator is enormous. Huge radiator requires huge grille.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I thought they killed the Scorpion name for this. When I was working on the machines that were to build the accessory drive bracket, we stopped using the Scorpion code-name. This and the 4.4L are supposed to revive the Essex Engine plant in Windsor...we'll see. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
994 Posts
^^So does Doh represent Ford/ Powerstroke?.
He surely does not.

Back a few years before you joined GMI, there was a group of 'Built Ford Truck' members that really gave it to the Duramax calling it wimpy because of it's aluminum heads. I'm just curious as to what their tone is now based on the early speculation that the new Ford in house diesel copied GM and went with aluminum heads as well.

^^Im just glad we can reserve this segement for the good ole' US, I die the day Nissan and Toyota enter the HD market.
Hell will freeze over before I buy an import truck, that or I have no other choice. Check out my fleet, all American baby!

Also, all the SD Ford's need now is a not fugly front end, sure its brash and tough looking, but its sooo overdone. I do like how its totally different looking than a F-150, but it needs to be toned down.
I had the same thoughts with the new SD appearance when it first came out. Now however, I'm with extreme4x4, the old version sort of looks bland beside the new look.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
^^So does Doh represent Ford/ Powerstroke? I want a Dodge guy in here too, to bring another aspect of large HD American trucks. Im just glad we can reserve this segement for the good ole' US, I die the day Nissan and Toyota enter the HD market.

Agreed but the 3500 gets a close second on the overdone scale. The tester I shot was heavily camoed but the grille looks like it will be more upright in styling versus the 1500's shark nosed grille. Also It looks to be much longer and wider than a current gen 3500. of course I'll reserve my judgments until better pics are shot

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with both of you tro wait and see pics of production. It could also be the base model black grill thast adorns the tester

·
Registered
122 Posts

Sold my dad an 06' Cummins w/ 6sp manual (I was too affraid to put him in an auto, they seem to fly apart under all the torque) when I worked for Chrysler. He gets 22mpg (average) and has never pulled any more weight than 2 fishing poles.:)

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Just remember guys, this engine will not be put into the current Super Duty. It will be put into a ALL NEW 2011 SUPER DUTY! If you look at the Super Chief concept, you have a good idea of what it will look like. Engines will be:
5.0 V8 gas
4.4 V8 diesel
6.2 V8 gas
6.7 V8 diesel
6.8 V10 gas (eventhough something tells me they will go to the 7.0 V8, smaller displacement=better gas mileage)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.