GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080801/auto_sales.html?.v=2

DETROIT (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. say their U.S. sales fell by double-digits in July as automakers struggled to keep up with consumers' growing demand for smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles.
Ford said Friday its U.S. sales fell 15 percent for the month. Its car sales were flat compared with the same month last year, and sales of the Focus small car rose 16 percent. But sales of Ford's trucks and sport utility vehicles continued their steep decline, falling 22 percent.

Toyota says its sales fell 12 percent last month, led by a 27 percent drop in truck and SUV sales. Sales of its Prius hybrid fell 15 percent as Toyota failed to keep up with demand.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW--Toyota fell again! GM #s are going to be real scary!
Yep That was what I was thinking. Makes me wounder why it took them so long to announce thier second quater lose.

People already have forgotten Ford's second quater lose.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
WOW--Toyota fell again! GM #s are going to be real scary!
GM did better than Toyota last month. Will that trend continue or is it a truly scary month? We'll know soon enough.

I think it's time for these guys to readjust their expected sales figure for 2008 again.

·
Registered
962 Posts
GM did better than Toyota last month. Will that trend continue or is it a truly scary month? We'll know soon enough.

I think it's time for these guys to readjust their expected sales figure for 2008 again.
Hopefully that trend continues---if it does the #s will still be scary but at the very least they won't be losing ground to Toyota which an all important measure.

Scratch that last comment--GM down 26% is this the worst drop of all the auto mfgs this month?

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Something that really surprised me is that the MkS outsold the Flex. I dont know weather to celebrate the success of the MkS or to be scared for the Flex. BTW where in the HECK did the Flex advirtising go!! I have not seen one in like weeks while MkS is still in commercials with the "Launch Event". I know Ford is probably saving up some for the F-150 but hey you got to advirtise the Flex. I bet they have only spent 50 mil. They will probably spend 500 mil on the F-150.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Something that really surprised me is that the MkS outsold the Flex. I dont know weather to celebrate the success of the MkS or to be scared for the Flex. BTW where in the HECK did the Flex advirtising go!! I have not seen one in like weeks while MkS is still in commercials with the "Launch Event". I know Ford is probably saving up some for the F-150 but hey you got to advirtise the Flex. I bet they have only spent 50 mil. They will probably spend 500 mil on the F-150.
Seeing as both vehicles just went on sale, you can't really judge their performance yet.

I've seen lots of the really cool Flex ads, but only recall seeing one for the MKS.

I hate to see Ford's sales slide, but everyone is down pretty hard.

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
The big Flex ad blitz has been postponed till Sept.

The supply of Flex's at dealerships is not great yet. I think they want to be fully prepared. My local dealership just got their first one in this week.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The big Flex ad blitz has been postponed till Sept.

The supply of Flex's at dealerships is not great yet. I think they want to be fully prepared. My local dealership just got their first one in this week.
The Ford Dealer on Van Dyke Rd in Sterling Heights, MI has 10-12 sitting out by the road. I can't imagine most suburban dealers aren't stocked enough to get going. Ford's just going to let sales slide until September?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts