GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Motor Co., long dependent on profits from pickups and sport utility vehicles, is assembling a plan to shift entire truck plants to car production in a bid to keep up with changing consumer demand in the United States, according to sources familiar with the company's plans.

Plant managers and local union leaders from around the country have been summoned to Ford's Dearborn headquarters Friday.

They'll discuss the challenges facing the automaker and the broader U.S. automobile industry as the price of gasoline continues to set record highs and consumers flee pickups and big SUVs for smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080611/AUTO01/806110388

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congrats to Ford !!!

Why Couldn't GM do this? Or Maybe they will, But they are shaking up the Unions and buying out people to get lower wages.

I understand why GM is closing/trimming Truck Production. But why is GM cutting more Truck/SUV units then it is adding Car Units? Does GM think said Truck/SUV buyer won't stay with GM in buying a car?

Yes I am holding out to possibilities that Moraine Assembly will still get something by 2012. I atleast don't know why they can't bring atleast a 330 sized or smaller SUV/Truck Make a Trailblazer Extreme with the LNF :D hahahaha

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
this is good move, but I would not hold my breath for any swift intros of EU models - the major issue with EU Fords is not capacity - nor price - but US compliance - and given their plan and time line - they will no spend money modifying them here. They may simply start producing them here and start exporting- 100% - until the new US comliant models are developed.

I think this announcement might even have the Ford-Fiat US Plant hidden inside - I sure hope so.

Igor

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
this is good move, but I would not hold my breath for any swift intros of EU models - the major issue with EU Fords is not capacity - nor price - but US compliance - and given their plan and time line - they will no spend money modifying them here. They may simply start producing them here and start exporting- 100% - until the new US comliant models are developed.

I think this announcement might even have the Ford-Fiat US Plant hidden inside - I sure hope so.

Igor
Do you mean Like the Polish plant which makes the Ka/500. Could we get a US plant like that...because that would be great. We would get the Ka!

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Do you mean Like the Polish plant which makes the Ka/500. Could we get a US plant like that...because that would be great. We would get the Ka!
Fiat is looking for a US plant - a built one that is empty and just needs new tools/retooling ... given the fact that one of the 2 products they are looking to build there (for US consumption) is the 500, and that Ka is 500 twin - using a Ford plant would be perfect and would actually help bring the Ka here ... but I have no info on this - just hopes

Igor

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Im betting that the first plant will be the Michigan truck plant since its next door to Wayne , and since the Euro focus will be here for 2010 this means they could start retooling Michigan truck by late this year so the C1 production is ready for late 09 and that way they could even build the C-Max there in time for a winter 2009 production

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
I hope by producing the Transit at Avon Lake, they wont kill the E-Series. I want them to make both. The Transit can be for churches,etc that need to carry people around. The E-Series can be for utility and commercial companies.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Fiat is looking for a US plant - a built one that is empty and just needs new tools/retooling ... given the fact that one of the 2 products they are looking to build there (for US consumption) is the 500, and that Ka is 500 twin - using a Ford plant would be perfect and would actually help bring the Ka here ... but I have no info on this - just hopes

Igor
On Allpar, it was mentionned, for the Alfa-Romeo line-up, then Fiat eyed Chrysler's Newark plant.

With Kerkorian's stepping more and more on Ford, I think then he might find the ideal partner (Fiat, since a recent French article from the newspaper "Le Figaro" mentionned then Ghosn of R-N isn' t interested to do an alliance where a family-owned entreprise still own a stake of the company http://www.lefigaro.fr/lefigaromagazine/2008/05/10/01006-20080510ARTFIG00547-ford-kirk-et-carlos.php )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts