GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
Those are just names. Certainly Ford should compete with a similar-type vehicle, but Thunderbird would be a better name. GT, or even GT40, just sounds too generic, especially with a history of using GT as a trim level. that would be like GM coming out with a car called simply "SS". :rolleyes: And while Thunderbird has a history quite unlike the current Corvette, that car's been gone a long time and Ford hasn't been using it for anything else.
The risk is another peer like situation Vs. Corvette. Remember the new Viper GTS getting smacked down by the then 12 year old C6 In the ZR1 guise at Laguna SECA.
The viper never recovered. The C8 is a much more advanced performance car. Ford will Need to make a far much expensive car to compete at Corvettes level.

There is really two cars that I would not like to be compared with at the any time from a marketing standpoint.

911 and Corvette. These two are refined thoroughbreds.

Ford can make a performance T Bird, but, my opinion is, they should avoid head to head comparison with Corvette.

If you look at the base corvette, let alone stingray, you can extrapolate what the Z06 is. It’s going to be a difficult car to beat, for anyone, let alone a new entry.
The Stingray is pretty quick to the Q mile…

You know these cars are proper Fanboi territory

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The risk is another peer like situation Vs. Corvette. Remember the new Viper GTS getting smacked down by the then 12 year old C6 In the ZR1 guise at Laguna SECA.
The viper never recovered. The C8 is a much more advanced performance car. Ford will Need to make a far much expensive car to compete at Corvettes level.

There is really two cars that I would not like to be compared with at the any time from a marketing standpoint.

911 and Corvette. These two are refined thoroughbreds.

Ford can make a performance T Bird, but, my opinion is, they should avoid head to head comparison with Corvette.

If you look at the base corvette, let alone stingray, you can extrapolate what the Z06 is. It’s going to be a difficult car to beat, for anyone, let alone a new entry.
The Stingray is pretty quick to the Q mile…

You know these cars are proper Fanboi territory
I sat in a Room full of GM Sales People in 1993, viewing the All New at the time F Bodies. Lance, the Trainer asked "How would everyone order this vehicle?" I was the only one in the room who stated a V6, T Topped Fire Bird in a Bold Color with an Automatic. A Grocery/Golf Club Shuttle.

That being said, why does a Corvette fighter have to be Faster than a Z06? Ford already has the GT. The 1955 T Bird didn't go after the Hardcore Sports/Roadster that the 1953-55 Corvette was, but it did win the Sales Race Hands Down.

My guess is Very Few (less than 5%) of C6-8 Vettes ever see Laguna SECA but most will see the Golf Course.

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
I sat in a Room full of GM Sales People in 1993, viewing the All New at the time F Bodies. Lance, the Trainer asked "How would everyone order this vehicle?" I was the only one in the room who stated a V6, T Topped Fire Bird in a Bold Color with an Automatic. A Grocery/Golf Club Shuttle.

That being said, why does a Corvette fighter have to be Faster than a Z06? Ford already has the GT. The 1955 T Bird didn't go after the Hardcore Sports/Roadster that the 1953-55 Corvette was, but it did win the Sales Race Hands Down.

My guess is Very Few (less than 5%) of C6-8 Vettes ever see Laguna SECA but most will see the Golf Course.
Irrespective of how many people take their vipers and 911 ‘s to Laguna Secca, the perception of performance sells these cars.

FYI, that is a great experience that you shared.

How many Mustang and Camaro Convertibles are selling?

Corvette, Viper, 911, etc is the hill where fanbois die.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Irrespective of how many people take their vipers and 911 ‘s to Laguna Secca, the perception of performance sells these cars.

FYI, that is a great experience that you shared.

How many Mustang and Camaro Convertibles are selling?

Corvette, Viper, 911, etc is the hill where fanbois die.
The V6 and 4 Banger Mustang is the only reason Mustang still exists, without a Hiatus. Not everyone Wants Fast, but most Everyone wants to Look It.

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts
The V6 and 4 Banger Mustang is the only reason Mustang still exists, without a Hiatus. Not everyone Wants Fast, but most Everyone wants to Look It.
This might be true. However, Ford does a lot of Variants to keep it exciting
Ford doesn't get that choice. If they offer a performance T Bird, it gets compared to the Corvette.
Not necessarily, it could be something like the S Type.

·
Registered
233 Posts
41 - 50 of 50 Posts