GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
After 2 years alone in the market segment (a little two-seat roadster) the Corvette had some pretty low sales numbers. Chevy was looking to drop the Corvette. Then Ford brought out the Thunderbird to compete in this "new" segment. Chevy didn't want to lose that competition, so they continued on with the Corvette.

But that was the last time the two vehicles were in any kind of competition. Corvette veered off into the sports car segment, while Thunderbird drifted into the "personal luxury car" market.

Many years later, GM tried that segment again with the Pontiac Solstice, and Ford tried again with a new Thunderbird. Neither one stuck around.

Ford did try to compete with the newer Corvette's market segment (although way more expensive) with it's GT, but that had no staying power either.

All of these vehicles were quite iconic, but the Corvette was the only one that stuck around through all those years. But I think it would be outstanding if Ford makes a direct competitor.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
After 2 years alone in the market segment (a little two-seat roadster) the Corvette had some pretty low sales numbers. Chevy was looking to drop the Corvette. Then Ford brought out the Thunderbird to compete in this "new" segment. Chevy didn't want to lose that competition, so they continued on with the Corvette.

But that was the last time the two vehicles were in any kind of competition. Corvette veered off into the sports car segment, while Thunderbird drifted into the "personal luxury car" market.

Many years later, GM tried that segment again with the Pontiac Solstice, and Ford tried again with a new Thunderbird. Neither one stuck around.

Ford did try to compete with the newer Corvette's market segment (although way more expensive) with it's GT, but that had no staying power either.

All of these vehicles were quite iconic, but the Corvette was the only one that stuck around through all those years. But I think it would be outstanding if Ford makes a direct competitor.
The GT is still around, but not in the Corvette Segment, as a Hand Built Super Car. As far as 2 seat Personal Luxury Competition, I would call the SSR and Crossfire, more in the 2002 T Bird category than the Solstice. Either way, there was no need for a Personal Luxury car at that time, all 3 had dismal sales numbers to prove it.

Weather Ford should go after the Mid Engine Sports Car market? I don't see how they could do it without cheapening their GT product line.

·
Super Moderator
21,761 Posts
I'll take any references of the Corvette out of the article as I think that is unintentional misdirection. As noted above, what the Corvette is today has nothing to do with the Thunderbird historically.

With that said, I see no reason not to bring back a niche, two seater. Kind of along the lines of the last gen Thunderbird.

With BEV I think the shared underpinnings will allow a lot of niches to be filled that weren't cost effective with ICE. I say go for it, but get mainstream product out first and Ford needs to get their "Ultium" underpinnings up and running.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The GT is still around, but not in the Corvette Segment, as a Hand Built Super Car. As far as 2 seat Personal Luxury Competition, I would call the SSR and Crossfire, more in the 2002 T Bird category than the Solstice. Either way, there was no need for a Personal Luxury car at that time, all 3 had dismal sales numbers to prove it.

Weather Ford should go after the Mid Engine Sports Car market? I don't see how they could do it without cheapening their GT product line.
The Ford GT in its original guise as the GT40 followed by two generations as the GT is not and never has been in the "Corvette segment." The Corvette has always been Chevrolet mass-market sports car. Ford's GT in its three iterations has always been a limited production street version of an endurance race car. It was priced to compete with the likes of Lamborghini and Ferrari. Ford has not tried to compete with Corvette since the First Generation Thunderbird (1955-1957).

If Ford were to bring the GT downmarket to compete with the Corvette, then this would be a titular admission that Ford has debased the Thunderbird badge beyond recovery. It would signal that it now wants to do to the GT badge what it did to the Thunderbird badge.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I'll take any references of the Corvette out of the article as I think that is unintentional misdirection. As noted above, what the Corvette is today has nothing to do with the Thunderbird historically.

With that said, I see no reason not to bring back a niche, two seater. Kind of along the lines of the last gen Thunderbird.

With BEV I think the shared underpinnings will allow a lot of niches to be filled that weren't cost effective with ICE. I say go for it, but get mainstream product out first and Ford needs to get their "Ultium" underpinnings up and running.
Not completely true though. The original 1955 T Bird was directly aimed at (and above) the 1953 Corvette. Part of the reason Corvette is what it is today is because of the T Bird. Blue Flame 6 vs Y Block V8...…..

However, both companies followed completely different routes quickly afterwards.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Just a little Vette coupe with a LT mill
But she'll walk a Thunderbird like it's standin' still
She's ported and relieved and she's stroked and bored.
She'll do a hundred and eighty in the top end floored
She's my little Vette coupe
You don't know what I got
My little Vette coupe
You don't know what I got

·
Banned
36,481 Posts
The Ford GT in its original guise as the GT40 followed by two generations as the GT is not and never has been in the "Corvette segment." The Corvette has always been Chevrolet mass-market sports car. Ford's GT in its three iterations has always been a limited production street version of an endurance race car. It was priced to compete with the likes of Lamborghini and Ferrari. Ford has not tried to compete with Corvette since the First Generation Thunderbird (1955-1957).

If Ford were to bring the GT downmarket to compete with the Corvette, then this would be a titular admission that Ford has debased the Thunderbird badge beyond recovery. It would signal that it now wants to do to the GT badge what it did to the Thunderbird badge.
One can contend that Corvette has always been an endurance racer. Over the last 24 years or so, the most successful endurance racer. Corvette captured its first Production car class win at Le mans in 1960.

Clothing Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
It could work as a luxury 2 seater that's a status symbol car and not so much a pure performance vehicle. Ford has had some homeruns lately and I think if done right, they, could have a niche car that could sell well at a premium price.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Corvette gained the V8 the same year the T-Bird debuted tho - they competed V8 to V8.
Had it not been for the T Bird, and the creation of the SBC, the Corvette might have only been a 3 year run. 1953 300 units, 1954 3740 units, 1955 700 units (The year T Bird debuted) 1955 T Bird 16,000+.

It is pretty obvious that GM had Ideas back then, just not a follow thru connection to the Customer's Voice. Or was it an Unbridled wad of Cash, without Bean Counter's objections? Or Foresight that just missed by a little?

Either way, the Vette evolved as did the T Bird. The Vette started as a Roadster, turning into a Sports Car, then to an Entry Level Sports/Super Car. T Bird started as a Personal Luxury Convertible and turned into a Personal Family Luxury, then back to a Retro Personal Luxury, when the Market just wasn't there.

Ford already has a Super Car in the GT. The market isn't huge, but it doesn't have to be, being they are hand built and out sourced. Much like Vette, they are somewhat Hand Built and Outsourced within a GM owned Plant.

As far as "Retro Rust" Lets talk Pony Cars, the Next Big Revolutionary New Market in Automotive World. Or how about Mini Vans? Maybe we can talk World Cars like the Taurus, even the K Car?

Who Lead the way? Who had the idea pitched to them, only to throw it and them out? So much an "Arm Chair CEO" could have done!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Farley in particular emphasizes icon branding, so I could see Farley cooking up something with the Thunderbird brand. But I can't imagine a successful push to resurrect a vehicle that resembles the Thunderbird as we knew it.

I looked into the origin of this story and it's total fiction concocted once again by Brett Foote at Ford Authority. He keeps poisoning the news cycle with fake stories and it's absolutely driving me crazy because they get picked up and spread like a virus without question. Ignore everything this guy writes, seriously! It's pure clickbait.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts