GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. has told regional dealers to stop running an advertisement comparing the Ford Freestar and Dodge Caravan after the Chrysler Group, which owns the Dodge brand, complained about the spot.

In the ad, Ford touts the Freestar’s new third-row, fold-flat seating designed to create more storage space, while an actor expresses frustration because her Dodge van doesn’t have the feature.

However, new 2005 Dodge and Chrysler vans that went on sale last week are now equipped with the fold-flat seating, prompting a letter from Chrysler’s legal staff to Ford.

Ford spokesman Jim Cain said the company was aware of the new Chrysler products and stopped running the ad nationally Feb. 9, but some dealer groups that buy their own regional time continued to air the spot.

“It’s still possible it might be in the rotation in some markets, but we asked to have it stopped,” Cain said. “We might bring it back at some point down the road. We’d just make it clear we’re making a comparison to the 2004 van, not a 2005.”

Full Story HERE

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Is anyone else tired of Chrysler starting the next model year just 2 months into the calendar year?

Back in the Fifties, automakers would wait until late summer or fall and build up incredible excitement over the release of the new model. Now vehicles for the new model year are unveiled with barely any ramp up. And the models all have staggered release dates. All new 1956 Chevrolet's were released Friday, November 4th, 1955. A set release date adds hype and dealer traffic when the cars are unveiled.

At least Chevy now is capturing some of the old fashioned new-model induced excitement with the "New Chevrolets: an American Revolution" campaign. All new cars released roughly at the same time with an encompanying media blitz.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
:lol: I saw that commercial the other day, and said "oh no, dont think so.
Fords third row is the only one that folds down right?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Don't get mad at Chrysler; when you have nothing on the market worth talking about now, you need to peddle the future.

The stow and go feature is slick, but the same (now uncompetitive) powertrain is there.

I found the various Freestar ads are effective on making their points with the Rick Titus guy. I can't fathom why he would destroy whatever credibility he had in the automotive industry by peddling such a poor minivan, but it was effecitve in getting the message out.

I'd hate to have the sell GM's "new" minivan. They bring even less to the market than the Freestar.

Mark

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
What bothered me about the Ford minivan ad wasn't the removable rear seat in the Caravan...but the way the man removed it. In one ad, he CARRIED the third seat from a Caravan. Was he too stupid to use the WHEELS that are under it? Was someone at Ford assuming that the people who have experience with the 2 million or so 1996-2004 Chrysler minivans didn't know that there were wheels under it? Does Ford think Americans are that dumb?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by 72lemanscvbl@Mar 9 2004, 10:42 AM
"The new Oldmobiles are in early this year."
Blues Brothers
Nice.

As for the minivan thing.. Well, right after reading about this, I heard the ad playing on TV. Kind of amusing.

I think there's not a lot of room for innovation when it comes to minivans anymore, really. The big thing is safety, which is something that Ford's Windstar was pretty much unversally the best ranked in. Why they had to change the name to Freestar is beyond me, but I doubt it's affected sales much.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i thought advertisers weren't allowed to directly name any competitors. i remmeber years ago you'd NEVER hear mention of competition. then it got to hinting at other products. and now they're outright naming them. i saw a beer commercial the other day (canadian commercial) that totally slagged another beer. same as with the wind... errr freestar and chrysler vans. i can see it next... ford focus commercial: "driving a kia makes you sterile"!

(actually, i'd say driving a kia is a effect of sterility, not a cause! ;))

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
As far back as I can remember (I'm 32), you've always been able to mention the competition.

Pepsi always complained about Coke (rarely if ever the other way)
and Duracell and Energizer were always battling.
Burger King and McDonalds as well.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i remember when i was a kid(31 now), thought it was dumb that all these commercials look like they are comparing their great product to some unnamed generic looking "other guys", "leading brand", "brand x" etc etc etc.. kept thinking to msyelf.. say who it is dammit!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts