GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Today Ford released a teaser video for what appears to be the upcoming Mustang GT350 … at least that’s what we hope it’s for.

The motion picture, which is scarcely longer than a minute, shows very brief images of the car in question. It starts with what appears to be the hind quarters of a fastback 2015 Mustang. Then it goes to part of a suede-wrapped steering wheel, metallic pedal covers, an aggressive-looking wheel and later the tread of a super-slick tire. In between these black-and-white images are vignettes from several of the company’s executives including Jim Farley, Joe Hinrichs and the man at the top, Ford CEO Mark Fields.

Throughout this piece they talk about racing and performance, competition and technology. Interspersed are snippets from the company’s days at Le Mans, historical NASCAR footage, off-road b-roll and shots from rally races.

This is supposedly the first in a series of five teaser videos, and at the end it carries the date “11.17.14,” ostensibly the day this car will be announced. Observant folks will notice these numbers are presented in what appears to be the Shelby font. One of the closing shots appears to be the cam cover of a 5.0-liter V8 emblazoned with “Powered by Ford.”

Does this look like the preview of a new high-performance Mustang? Do you think the car in question is the oft-rumored GT 350 model? Check out the gallery below, watch the video and let us know in the comments.
For more information on this story, Ford Teases Mustang GT 350 and to see the accompanying video and photo gallery please visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Well, big talk from Farley and Fields, (sounds like a '70's pop duo), but if the GT350 can't compete with the Z/28, this will be a colossal faux pas by Ford.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Well, big talk from Farley and Fields, (sounds like a '70's pop duo), but if the GT350 can't compete with the Z/28, this will be a colossal faux pas by Ford.
All I'm going to say, is whatever the GT350 turns out to be, you can bet it will have infinitely more real-world usability than the Z/28. For $90,000, you can have a Z/28 or Porsche 911, but which one are you driving to work every day?

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
All I'm going to say, is whatever the GT350 turns out to be, you can bet it will have infinitely more real-world usability than the Z/28. For $90,000, you can have a Z/28 or Porsche 911, but which one are you driving to work every day?
Excellent point, actually. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Excellent point, actually. We'll see what happens.
That's in no way, shape, or form denigrating the Z/28, which is a great car, but...

http://jalopnik.com/i-spent-a-day-driving-a-porsche-911-gt3-and-it-was-awe-1643930570

We'll start today's review with a discussion of the vehicle's ride: namely, it's awful. And I don't mean awful like: "Oh, the roads suck, and I have sport suspension, woe is me!" No, no. I mean awful like you're driving along and you start to wonder: "Hmm… when did they pave this road with bathroom fixtures?"

In fact, when you're driving a GT3, virtually every road feels like it's paved with jagged metal pieces and huge, uneven boulders, placed directly in the street in order to make you hate your entire existence, and your car's existence, and the very existence of Ferdinand Porsche, and the nation of Germany, and all of its little fair-haired soccer-playing children. You can feel every bump, every crease, every little dip in the pavement. Before long, you realize that you've made a horrible, terrible, awful mistake, and you want to go back home and climb inside your soft, comfortable bed, away from all the bumps and bangs and smacks and thuds. And then you finish backing out of your driveway.
That sums up the issues pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I know. Let's say the GT350 performs within 5% of the Z/28, (not sure how that would be quantified, but anyway), but costs $55-$60,000 and is available to whoever wants one, AND you can drive it to work - that would put some pressure on Z/28.
I mean, there's no pressure at all on the Z/28... it's not like they're hurting for sales, yanno?

It'll be interesting if Ford then ties the marketing for the GT350 to its LeMans entry and associated new sports car, due to the common engine, and try to drive interest in that way.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
It would really need to go after the ZL1. If they can give it the capabilities of the ZL1 on track and street, with pricing around $53K they have a winner.

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
I mean, there's no pressure at all on the Z/28... it's not like they're hurting for sales, yanno?

It'll be interesting if Ford then ties the marketing for the GT350 to its LeMans entry and associated new sports car, due to the common engine, and try to drive interest in that way.

The "pressure" would be in the way that GM sees the segment. I'm not opposed the a 6th gen Z/28 which performs as well or better than a 5th gen Z/28 does and costs what a ZL1 or GT500 does.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Looking forward to the release of the detailed information.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know. Let's say the GT350 performs within 5% of the Z/28, (not sure how that would be quantified, but anyway), but costs $55-$60,000 and is available to whoever wants one, AND you can drive it to work - that would put some pressure on Z/28.
Assuming the Z/28 will actually stick around for future successive generations - which I don't think it will. I still contest it was a one-off designed to highlight the capabilities of GM Engineering to those who automatically discount anything domestic as "just a muscle car" and to get rid of the LS7 stockpile with a flash.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
They really need to quit sandbagging with this car and give it the Twin Turbo 3.5 is deserves. The name is perfect for it and with Ford claiming the Turbo motor is an upgrade ($$$) over the 5.0 in the trucks this would be also.

The aftermarket would clammer all over it like the old pushrod 5.0 days which would help draw in the enthusiasts market who were attracted to the Mustang when it used to be fun to modify.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
What exactly makes the Z/28 not a daily driver for anyone who would buy the car?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts