GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very interested in buying a Raptor this week. My dealer found one with all the specs and options I wanted in one. It had a few extras I didn't care for, such as front camera ($525), bed extenders ($250), and tailgate step ($375).

The first two I could deal with--- though I didn't want to pay for the front camera or have a need for it, they were going to discount it off for me. The bed extenders I could remove myself. But one deal breaker is the stupid tailgate step. They offered to subtract the $375 option off for the point of sale. I declined, stating that I literally wanted the truck without it on the tailgate. I inquired what it would take to get a tailgate swapped out with a non-step tailgate. They were unwilling to even tell me how much it would cost or what it would take to swap it out. I said I wasn't trying to be unfair and make them do it in order to make my decision, but if I signed for it, its something I clearly wanted removed.

I understand that the tailgate has the locking feature as well as the wiring for the rear camera, but seriously, how big of a job can this be? I hate that damn tailgate step. If they just replaced it, I would have bought it on the spot.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I would think the issue for the dealer is, the Raptor is still selling so no need to go the extra mile......But why If they discounted the step price does it bother you so?......

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had the step on my 2011 F150. I didn't want it either. I just drove the truck like normal and didn't even notice the step was there.

If they are willing to discount it off the price of the truck, seems like a null issue. You can always swap it yourself with a person over on a Raptor forum who wants the step....not that hard.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Buy the truck, sell the tailgate on a Ford forum or ebay, then buy another tailgate without the step?

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
Swap it out for a GMC tailgate.....it doesn't fit.....have to buy the whole GMC truck then.
I think he's got a GMC now, sounds like he doesn't want it?.......

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
AFAIK, the sheet metal is the same between the step and the no-step tailgate. The step is part of the the plastic liner an the innards. Replacing the plastic liner with one without the step ought to work, also maybe swap the innards + liner with another F150.

But really, tailgate step is you deal breaker? thing that is out of your way unless you decide to use it? You're a little on the strange side.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
AFAIK, the sheet metal is the same between the step and the no-step tailgate. The step is part of the the plastic liner an the innards. Replacing the plastic liner with one without the step ought to work, also maybe swap the innards + liner with another F150.

But really, tailgate step is you deal breaker? thing that is out of your way unless you decide to use it? You're a little on the strange side.
He bought into that Silverado commercial from a couple years ago with an owner making fun of a Ford's "manstep," which is just GM's way of denying that they're not innovative

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
On the 2014 trucks the step ruins the flat area of the tailgate. Gets in the way of sliding stuff in or sitting on it. I can understand why he doesn't want it. I hate the design on the current truck. Its so stupid. The new one is nicely integrated but I'll still argue a waste of engineering effort. GM's response with the bumper step isn't quite as convenient for height and placement (not in the center of the tailgate) but remarkable simple and usable with the tailgate up.

I'd say take the truck as is, and later remove the handle and replace the inside liner to the standard one. The rest of the tailgate should be the same.

I personally wouldn't pay anything for the tailgate step feature. It isn't a deal breaker to me like a sunroof is (I hate sunroofs and perfer the extra headroom).

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
On the 2014 trucks the step ruins the flat area of the tailgate. Gets in the way of sliding stuff in or sitting on it. I can understand why he doesn't want it. I hate the design on the current truck. Its so stupid. The new one is nicely integrated but I'll still argue a waste of engineering effort. GM's response with the bumper step isn't quite as convenient for height and placement (not in the center of the tailgate) but remarkable simple and usable with the tailgate up.

I'd say take the truck as is, and later remove the handle and replace the inside liner to the standard one. The rest of the tailgate should be the same.

I personally wouldn't pay anything for the tailgate step feature. It isn't a deal breaker to me like a sunroof is (I hate sunroofs and perfer the extra headroom).

With the tailgate up? Doesn't stepping in the center (license plate step) work?

GM's bumper step is a little bit better than stepping on the top corner of the bumper with the tailgate down, but as you said "height placement" makes for a pretty big first step, personally, I'd be more than OK with the tailgate step on my next truck. its one of those "function over fashion" deals, doesn't look quite as nice, but it works a whole lot better...............

I agree about options that you don't really want, but have to pay for - I have probably only used the sunroof in my truck 3 or 4 times, but the panoramic roof in our MKX is pretty sweet, especially for my 2-year old, entertainment wise in the back seat. :yup:

·
Registered
6,484 Posts

ah good point on the ruined flat surface. By all accounts, all the materials are in the liner -- so the replacement ought to be simple.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

This is why I don't want it. It is [explicit word] and in the way on top of it. But it sounds like it is something that could possibly be removed.

I think I might have made up my mind to get a 2015 Sierra 1500 All-Terrain with 6.2L though. Only problem is building up these new trucks seems to take way more fender modification than the Fords. Though the new F-150s seem like they have a lot less wheel well space for larger tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.