1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Another Fix Or Repair Daily product?

·
Premium Member
35,576 Posts
NO WORRIES, MATEYS!! THE AGE OF ELECTRIK IS UPON US! NIRVANA! UTOPIA! This is probably a pack of lies put out by the Petroleum Council or other evil-doers!
Bill Gates for King of the Planet!

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Another Fix Or Repair Daily product?
"Unconfirmed Sources" indicate GM is the supplier of the charging units.............

From Automotive News:
"The automaker issued a stop sale for its $799 Ford-branded wall boxes on Feb. 24 after it discovered some weren't working properly"

·
Registered
13,157 Posts
I bought an audi E Tron and if I even bother Im just going to have an electrictian put a 240 outlet in my garage. No need for the level 2 charging equipment.

Seems there are plenty of chargers around and quite a few are free fast chargers at the malls or car dealers....shopping centers have this too.

Dont be too hard on ford. Their supplier screwed up. Just plug into a 240 outlet

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,488 Posts
I bought an audi E Tron and if I even bother Im just going to have an electrictian put a 240 outlet in my garage. No need for the level 2 charging equipment.
240V charging apparatus in a home garage, whether plug-in or hardwired, is usually Level 2 AC. My wife and I already have a NEMA 14-30 240V outlet at our home garage, and she uses ClipperCreek's AmazingE 16 amp unit to charge her 2015 Chevy Spark EV.

The $800 sticker price for the 48 amp Level 2 charger sold as an accessory by Ford dealerships is on the high side. A 40 amp ClipperCreek Level 2 plug-in unit will be a bit slower to charge the vehicle, but costs at least $130 less.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
240V charging apparatus in a home garage, whether plug-in or hardwired, is usually Level 2 AC. My wife and I already have a NEMA 14-30 240V outlet at our home garage, and she uses ClipperCreek's AmazingE 16 amp unit to charge her 2015 Chevy Spark EV.

The $800 sticker price for the 48 amp Level 2 charger sold as an accessory by Ford dealerships is on the high side. A 40 amp ClipperCreek Level 2 plug-in unit will be a bit slower to charge the vehicle, but costs at least $130 less.
Does GM have a phone app that gives you battery/charge status, time to charge, range to go, nearest charger locations, etc.? Is it free or for pay like OnStar or MyGMC?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Does GM have a phone app that gives you battery/charge status, time to charge, range to go, nearest charger locations, etc.? Is it free or for pay like OnStar or MyGMC?

Thanks.
If my wife's 2015 Spark EV has those capabilities, they probably use OnStar. We decided not to pay the monthly subscription fee needed for OnStar to be active.

We use the PlugShare Android app on our mobile phones for public charger info, and the instrument cluster and infotainment screens for battery/charge status. Newer GM EVs like the Bolt probably have more sophisticated features in this regard.

Reactions: TruckMan

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
As a consumer it is a big turnoff for me to have to pay extra for a phone app to have access to your own vehicle. I can understand charging more for OnStar because it provides additional services. But if you've already bought the features in your vehicle, you should have free access via your phone.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
As a consumer it is a big turnoff for me to have to pay extra for a phone app to have access to your own vehicle. I can understand charging more for OnStar because it provides additional services. But if you've already bought the features in your vehicle, you should have free access via your phone.
+1
Completely agree TruckMan. The automotive industry overall seems to be keen on adding subscription based services to their vehicles as "revenue opportunities". Consumer revolt may result in changes, however. For example, BMW charged an $80 yearly subscription fee for Apple CarPlay from 2016 to 2019. After considerable backlash from customers and automotive journalists, in 2019 BMW eliminated all subscription fees for that feature.

Reactions: TruckMan

·
Registered
547 Posts

Thanks.
A bit late to answer but I watched this a few days ago on the Chevy app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts