GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford spins its wheels in name game

Published April 16, 2004

NEW YORK -- Don't care if Ford calls them Rumpelstiltskin and Poindexter as long as it starts giving future cars names they can keep.

Ford will build the midsize Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans in Chicago along with the Freestyle crossover sedan/sport-utility vehicle for the '05 model year.

At the Chicago Auto Show, it said it would add a fourth model, a Mercury crossover.

Ford also will build a slightly smaller Ford Futura and an unnamed Mercury sedan at a plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, for the 2006 model year. Just days ago at the New York Auto Show, it said a Lincoln Zephyr would be part of that mix, too.

Now Ford says it can't call that midsize sedan Futura because Pep Boys, through its legal staff, pointed out that's the name on its line of tires.

That's Ford's second name embarrassment in one year. It had to change its exotic sports car from the GT40 to the GT when the folks who owned the GT40 name wanted a portion of the Ford treasury plus a few cars to give it up. Ford declined.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/a...0,228910.column

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Didn't Ford have a Futura back in the day? I guess they didn't renew the copyright on the name or something, but this whole "you can't name your car that, because we named our tires that" is stupid and pathetic.

As for the GT40 vs. GT debate.. well, does anyone who looks at the GT and knew what a GT40 was really not know what it is? Doesn't really matter what it's called, because it still gets the job done.

·
Banned
895 Posts
I owned two Futuras....a Falcon and a Fairmont. Ford should have handily smacked Pep Boys with lawsuits. Instead they run and hide. Political correctness is now infecting corporate America. What a freaking shame. If I were running Ford, by the time I was done with Pep Boys, they'd be washing cars at our dealerships for free.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Futura doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feeling for a car name.

My dad owned 1 Ford for about 3 months - a Ford Fairmont - man that car sucked in 1980. He bitched the Ford sales guy out for such a sorry car, then went to the local Pontiac place and bought a new 1980 Grand Prix. He had that one for over 12 years and only had to fix a water leak issue in the passenger front floor board (common for that platform for some reason). That car was awesome in overall comfort, good reliability (some oil consumption at the end), and performance for that class.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My very first car was a rusty sky blue 79 2 door Fairmont "Futura Edition". It was truly a great yet very ugly car. We called it "the blue bomber". I delivered Pizza and got in lots of trouble in that thing for 2 over years and it never broke down or had any serious problems. I met My wife in that car and also had lots of great times in it. Then I gave it away to my bud wile he was in hard times, It ran like a champ for years (Had over 200,000k on it.) Its a pitty the name is extinct for ford. Ah the memories. :(

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 19 2004, 02:13 AM
It had to change its exotic sports car from the GT40 to the GT when the folks who owned the GT40 name wanted a portion of the Ford treasury plus a few cars to give it up. Ford declined.
Geez, those people are really asses! I'd give Ford the name, they basically made it a legend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts