GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'm no Tesla fan, but I don't think a delay is a big deal in their case considering how unusual and compelling the Cybetruck is. I can't figure out if it will be a niche product, or a breakthrough hit. Time will tell, but the tech gap between others and Tesla is rapidly closing.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,466 Posts
Ford stock just hit $25.58, WOO HOO!!
F/GM were up yesterday and the EV companies were down. If LCID/RIVN go down much more they will drop out of the top 10 of market valuation...Stellantis is just behind Rivian at #11. Of course TSLA is in a different stratosphere, it would have to drop something like 70% just to get down to the valuation of #2 on the list (Toyota).

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Market valuation is a stupid metric in the automotive industry. Ford and GM are valued unrealistically low while all the shiny new EV makers are at exorbitant multiples, most with zero profit whatsoever. But... free ZEV credits are their friend!!

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,443 Posts
Time will tell, but the tech gap between others and Tesla is rapidly closing.
Lucid's tech is already better than Tesla.
Won't know about Ultium until Lyriq gets into the hands of reviewers.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The Tesla delay appears to be accurate:

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
If the Cybertruck was built by GM, it would be ridiculed as another Aztek.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I agree.

Ford is making the same move as it did to levels seen in 1999. It went down from there. I think capital is pouring into what was value stocks and away from Euro stocks and sovereign debt. Toyota is moving sharply up as well.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If the Cybertruck was built by GM, it would be ridiculed as another Aztek.
It is ugly as eff you see Kay.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm glad to see that the D3 (or at least GM and Ford) have seemingly jumped to the head of the new EV SUV/pickup segment. The Cybertruck seems like a massive strategic error on Tesla's part. They have wasted years on developing something that isn't feasible. GM and Ford are building vehicles for real people.
Considering how ridiculous the Cybertruck looks, I don't think they spent years on the design. I feel like some pencils accidentally fell on the paper in that shape and they went with it lol.

I'm no Tesla fan, but I don't think a delay is a big deal in their case considering how unusual and compelling the Cybetruck is. I can't figure out if it will be a niche product, or a breakthrough hit. Time will tell, but the tech gap between others and Tesla is rapidly closing.
I think with actual truck buyers, it'll be a niche product.

However, it'll draw in Tesla fans and some of the casual truck owner market.

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts
I agree.

Ford is making the same move as it did to levels seen in 1999. It went down from there. I think capital is pouring into what was value stocks and away from Euro stocks and sovereign debt. Toyota is moving sharply up as well.
Most of Ford’s stock pricing has to do with the opinion of Wall Street Analysts, do what they think is good moves and the stock rises. Little or no impact on day to day operations but when the first Lightnings go out the door, the stock will probably go to $30 if not more because OMG, OMG…..

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts
Most of Ford’s stock pricing has to do with the opinion of Wall Street Analysts, do what they think is good moves and the stock rises. Little or no impact on day to day operations but when the first Lightnings go out the door, the stock will probably go to $30 if not more because OMG, OMG, Wall Street will flog themselves silly and hyping the stock like crazy…

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
I'm no expert, but what good is the Cybertruck in its current iteration?
About the same as the Hummer EV?

At least you won’t have to worry about dealer mark ups, I have a feeling that Lightning buyers are going to eaten alive by ADMs, especially this year with limited builds.
How does someone go from a reservation, to confirmed order and not finalize the price?

Just ran across this story!

Ford threatens dealers: We won't send you F-150 Lightnings if you break sales rules

I'm glad to see that the D3 (or at least GM and Ford) have seemingly jumped to the head of the new EV SUV/pickup segment. The Cybertruck seems like a massive strategic error on Tesla's part. They have wasted years on developing something that isn't feasible. GM and Ford are building vehicles for real people.
GM literally reacted to the Cyber Truck and beat them to the finish line, Ford just made an electric version of its pick-up.

As much as I'd prefer to see GM's stock ahead of Ford's, it is nice to see both companies getting the valuation they deserve vs. their competition. Meaning there was never a reason (at least recently) for Ford & GM's valuation to be such a pitiful fraction of any other auto make.
How much GM stock do you have?

I seriously doubt Ford's recent stock gains have anything to do with Cybertruck preparedness.
You could sell one share of $TSLA and buy 40 shares of $F....

Ford is up 60% in the last 3 months, Tesla is only up 20% (GM about 7%)

Reactions: Extreme4x4

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Most of Ford’s stock pricing has to do with the opinion of Wall Street Analysts, do what they think is good moves and the stock rises. Little or no impact on day to day operations but when the first Lightnings go out the door, the stock will probably go to $30 if not more because OMG, OMG…..
Not analysts, but investors, including international investors looking for dollar exposure in familiar names. Volume is up, maybe enough to break through resistance. EV sales should be already figured into the price IMO. We'll see.
Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts
How does someone go from a reservation, to confirmed order and not finalize the price?

Just ran across this story!

Ford threatens dealers: We won't send you F-150 Lightnings if you break sales rules
Theres been instances of dealers adding markups after the ordered vehicles arrive at dealers.

Just to be clear here, Ford wasn’t referring to ADMs because under most state laws, retaliatory action against dealers based on ADMs is a law suit that dealers would win.

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts
Not analysts, but investors, including international investors looking for dollar exposure in familiar names. Volume is up, maybe enough to break through resistance. EV sales should be already figured into the price IMO. We'll see.
Agree but as far as investors go, the time to by Ford stock was in 2019 when it was around $4-$5, not now when it’s over $20. Most of those coming in now will be traders listening to analysts and looking to make a quick buck in The next few months.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts