GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
How many times have we heard this only to see no change? Sorry, but Ford has made this type of statement MANY times only to never follow through with it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
How many times have we heard this only to see no change? Sorry, but Ford has made this type of statement MANY times only to never follow through with it.
Sure about that? How about new Fusion 4 years after it's launch ( Still a very competitive car and has had updates along the way most notably the 2.5 for 09), New Taurus for 2010 two years after the 08 was launched ( Looks nothing like current one either), New F150 for 2009 even though it is still class leading in many ways, Or maybe the fact that Ford has designed 2 Mustangs in the time it has taken GM to finally come out with a Camaro 5 years later? The only vehicles that Ford has let linger without much of anything around are the ones that previous management had already driven into the ground ( Ranger, Panther cars). I would say lately that Ford has been giving us some pretty good updates and re designs in a timely manner.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sure about that? How about new Fusion 4 years after it's launch ( Still a very competitive car and has had updates along the way most notably the 2.5 for 09), New Taurus for 2010 two years after the 08 was launched ( Looks nothing like current one either), New F150 for 2009 even though it is still class leading in many ways, Or maybe the fact that Ford has designed 2 Mustangs in the time it has taken GM to finally come out with a Camaro 5 years later? The only vehicles that Ford has let linger without much of anything around are the ones that previous management had already driven into the ground ( Ranger, Panther cars). I would say lately that Ford has been giving us some pretty good updates and re designs in a timely manner.
Your post is very good. Ford is becoming increasingly competitive and getting its act together.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
This is great news, but we'll see how dramatic the changes are. We've all seen "total revisions" that have made the vehicle look identical to the previous version.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
This is great news, but we'll see how dramatic the changes are. We've all seen "total revisions" that have made the vehicle look identical to the previous version.
Such as the 2003 "redesigns" for the Navigator, Town Car, and LS.

Those days are over.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts

yeah they change the front and rear bumpers, slap on some new wheels and then call the car ALL NEW

I love that about auto manufacturers. Actually only 10% is new and if you were smart you'd go get the year old model still sitting on the lot from the previous season.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I'll be curious if this speeds up the unveiling of that new global look they are supposed to be developing that is neither "kinetic design" or the American three bar grille look. I'm guessing that sneak peek at the next Taurus is an indication about this new global look.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Except the Focus. What the hell is that monstrosity? God damn, that car is ugly. I bought a 2004 Focus ZX3 new (my first new car). Loved it. I wouldn't touch the new one with a 10 foot pole. Fugly!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I do agree that GM does the same thing. Both companies have made this comment multiple times only to have a few of their vehicles linger for 5 or more years. Something you have noted above. Everyone here knows I am a big GM fan and root for Ford to regain the #2 spot, but both companies have a habit of letting certain cars age well past their due date. They need to be more consistent and let NONE of their cars get over aged.

That could be said of the chassis as much as the car as a whole. The Focus had a GREAT opportunity in 2000 to make a big change in the small car area for US automakers. It has great handling, eventually Ford got the quality right, and the car was a great overall performer. The Focus was a class leading product when it was introduced. They let the chassis get too old and have put too little effort into making it class leading. Unfortunately Ford let it age well past its prime. The same could not be said of the Cobalt as it wasn’t considered class leading when it came out.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

Those days are over.
I wouldn't be so certain the 2010 Ford Fusion is only a nip tucked version of the current model. IMO this should have been a mid-life cycle update after a 3yr. run. I think what will help Ford in their efforts is their decision to bring a few Euro models over to the US. But even some of those will be due for a refresh by the time they make landfall.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

Those days are over.
The 2003 Navigator was all new and the 2003 LS was just a mid-cycle update. But I do agree with the 2003 Town Car. I would also add the 2007 Navigator and Expedition, 2006 Explorer and Mountaineer, 2008 F-Series Super Duty. While any of those may be significantly revised underneath, outside they look like mid-cycle updates, and that is all the cusomter sees.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The 2003 Town Car was a refresh, not a re-design, and most of the improvements were under the skin. Now Ford needs to work on a total Town Car redesign as the current model will be 11 years old when the '09 models arrive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts