GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
I'm not arguing preference, I'm arguing who made the better business decisions for revenue and profit. I've said here, I'm sure, that I personally prefer the 2016 Camaro to the Mustang, which is usually a bad sign for the car's success in the market, because I prefer impractical, hard-edged, and otherwise unpleasant cars, for the thrill of the driving experience.

There are so many unknown costs (ie parts sharing) that any attempt to state who made the betterbusiness decisions for revenue and profit are flawed.

Jmo

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
There are so many unknown costs (ie parts sharing) that any attempt to state who made the betterbusiness decisions for revenue and profit are flawed.

Jmo
You'd be amazed how much you can find and extrapolate through public and semi-public sources , before you crack open the books of a company (which are often nonsense anyway).

I applaud Chevy for adding lightness, and for holistic performance per dollar, it's hard for me to think of a car that beats the Camaro SS. However, much like its relative the ATS, I wonder how much of that engineering brilliance will translate into sales.

I'm also wondering about the wisdom of Chevy's "continuation" styling, rather than delivering something fresher. In fairness, I despised the Camaro's original looks in 2009, but loved the mid-cycle refresh, so maybe they've got something up their sleeves.

·
Super Moderator
14,194 Posts
I'm also wondering about the wisdom of Chevy's "continuation" styling, rather than delivering something fresher. In fairness, I despised the Camaro's original looks in 2009, but loved the mid-cycle refresh, so maybe they've got something up their sleeves.
I'm hoping. The fascias sort of look like they were designed for easy and dramatic changes.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The Camaro has historically out ATP'd and out retailed the Mustang, a car which will have to chase volume via secretary specials and fleet sales to amortize its bespoke platform. Cadillac is selling close to 7k alphas a month in addition what the Camaro will sell.
If you could post up some links to prove that it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Ford enthusiasts talking about the mustang being a better vehicle for ford are missing the point of ownership.

Nobody chooses or buys a high performance car because it's more profitable for the company.that builds the car

Let's at the very least wait for the 2016 camaro ss hits the streets.

Test drives are worth more than this ridiculous discussion especially with no facts other than the performance statistics....which are quite favorable to the 40 grand camaro ss with MRC and npp exhaust.

For those that prefer the more expensive gt350...it's ok...

We don't have to have extended conversations like this...

If you really want to help ford ...then just pay even more than the company or the dealerships are asking for...

In fact insist on it....

That will help ford motor company and the dealership be profitable.

·
Banned
664 Posts
If you could post up some links to prove that it would be appreciated.
The Mustang had an ATP of about 30,000 before the redesign in 2014. The Camaro had an ATP between 33-32K for the last couple year accordinng to KBB, and it is fairly common knowledge that the Mustang was cheaper in the 80s and 90s too. This is all easily Googleable.

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
Went car shopping today and saw the new 6 th gen camaro in person for the first time. Much more manageable size....in fact it surprised me how small the car appears ....

Very well done front and side view. I'm not a fan of the rear bumper and tail light treatment on the 6th gen.

It's ok but the bumper cover is strange to me...at least in the showroom.

I shopped the jaguar f type r,,,,the m4 , the c7 z06 and all are about double the camaro ss...

If money were an object...the camaro ss for around 42 grand brand new is a hell of a deal. Performance equal to 2 out of three mentioned I was looking at...

I know it's ridiculous to compare the mustang gt350 or camaro ss to those other cars....

Still while all very cool...the jaguar f type r is my personal favorite...and even then the coupe is missing the targa roof the corvette offers...

Still it's a looker for sure...

Wow....

Btw..the sight lines in the camaro are fine...the interior was a nice place and very cool...materials of the 1ss are no where near the others but that's never been a big deal for me....the steering wheel felt real good....the placement of the gauges were good....the sight line to the front and the sides good..

I also made sure I was comfortable driving with my elbow out the drivers side window..so except for the rear bumper cover ...it was a hell of a car.

I see the performance stats and know that's a win...

Glad I got to check it out...

If I needed or wanted a 2 +2 for 40 large brand new....the camaro would do the trick...

For me it would be a 1ss, MRC, npp and probably I'd try the A8 since it's actually quicker than the manual...

That blue was sharp as hell but I'm partial to torch red with a black interior...

Jmo

Reactions: hrcslam

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The Mustang had an ATP of about 30,000 before the redesign in 2014. The Camaro had an ATP between 33-32K for the last couple year accordinng to KBB, and it is fairly common knowledge that the Mustang was cheaper in the 80s and 90s too. This is all easily Googleable.
The only caveat to this is first model year sales. Last year the a new Mustang was released and it is ATPing higher than the out going Camaro..... For now.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
In majority, yes.
It likely shares some pretty serious hard-points, but it is all but impossible for the Camaro to share meaningful amounts of actual crash structure with the ATS, as the two cars are just too different in proportion and layout for these items to match up or perform the same task in the same way. Two door vs. four door, different firewall to front axle length, a difference in width, etc., etc. Camaro is as different from the ATS as the old model was from the Commodore, perhaps even more so.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts