GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,488 Posts
Makes you wonder, there's an accelerating shift in geopolitics to Asia away from North America and Europe. It'll be interesting to see how the US negotiates this shift. And to me it speaks to the importance and potential of solid, mutually respectful global alliances (e.g., The Quad).
+1
Excellent points tgagneguam. While I can't comment on geopolitics, in the global automotive industry, there has been a marked shift to Asia away from North America and Europe for the past 50 years, starting with Japan, then proceeding to South Korea, and most recently to mainland China.

If Ford's plan to use India based facilities as export hubs is emulated by other global automakers, India's automotive sector may give China's some serious competition in the decades to come.

Vietnam's automotive industry, starring the homegrown company Vinfast, is a minor player on the global stage today. But as with India, there's great potential for future expansion.

Reactions: tgagneguam

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
☝☝☝☝
Like you folks, I don’t know much about geo politics, however, for me, the job exporting era is gone. I will not vote for any politicians that don’t address the issue. I would rather abstain

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
+1
Excellent points tgagneguam. While I can't comment on geopolitics, in the global automotive industry, there has been a marked shift to Asia away from North America and Europe for the past 50 years, starting with Japan, then proceeding to South Korea, and most recently to mainland China.

If Ford's plan to use India based facilities as export hubs is emulated by other global automakers, India's automotive sector may give China's some serious competition in the decades to come.

Vietnam's automotive industry, starring the homegrown company Vinfast, is a minor player on the global stage today. But as with India, there's great potential for future expansion.
Ford already uses India as an Export Hub, it is where every Eco Sport comes from. Not that the Eco Sports were Hot Sellers, however in Todays Ultra Low Inventories, even the Eco Sports have all sold. Our last one sold the Day it landed at MSRP.

Down side is, The Day it Landed was 7 months after it was ordered, World Shipping is Clogged also. The same issue with GM Labeled Daewoos from S Korea. Shipping times are Super Long.

Then we have the 2008 Reorganization, Plant Closures, making production the Right Size. So Over Capacity is gone in North America. Think of the Pent Up demand that the Chip Shortage has caused. Where will these vehicle be built and Who can build them before the other Guy?

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
Ford already uses India as an Export Hub, it is where every Eco Sport comes from. Not that the Eco Sports were Hot Sellers, however in Todays Ultra Low Inventories, even the Eco Sports have all sold. Our last one sold the Day it landed at MSRP.

Down side is, The Day it Landed was 7 months after it was ordered, World Shipping is Clogged also. The same issue with GM Labeled Daewoos from S Korea. Shipping times are Super Long.

Then we have the 2008 Reorganization, Plant Closures, making production the Right Size. So Over Capacity is gone in North America. Think of the Pent Up demand that the Chip Shortage has caused. Where will these vehicle be built and Who can build them before the other Guy?
Lol, you are still going to pull the Daewoo card, this many years after telling us Ford cannot supply it’s Indian rickshaws on time.. hahahahaha

The ford coolaid runs deep in you Obi KogKnee

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
Makes you wonder, there's an accelerating shift in geopolitics to Asia away from North America and Europe. It'll be interesting to see how the US negotiates this shift. And to me it speaks to the importance and potential of solid, mutually respectful global alliances (e.g., The Quad).
The shift has been happening slowly for the past 30-40 years. It's not going to change any time soon.
It will be an interesting time geopolitically for the US. In 5-10, the US will no longer be the #1 economy by all metrics (not just some). Our ability to influence geopolitics has been put to serious question by the previous administration, in favor of a more nationalistic approach, all while not fully comprehending the downstream effects of such a move.

Strong partnerships, not just on paper, but leveraging each countries strengths is the only way to compete on a global scale. Also, alliances like the TPP would have benefited the US. And while I understand there are political ramifications for the TPP the fact the US isn't part of it anymore allows China to grow unchecked in the region. Again, the US hasn't comprehended the downstream effects of such a move, in favor of short term political gains.

Also, the US lacks the number of individuals with advanced degrees, unlike China and India, which will put the US at a severed disadvantage in the near future. The US has relied on those individuals to come to the US and work. The tighter immigration policies have slowed that significantly. And it will have a detrimental effect. Sure, the US should be ramping that up. And in 20 years or so, we'll have a solid pipeline.

But yea... it'll be interesting...

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
The shift has been happening slowly for the past 30-40 years. It's not going to change any time soon.
It will be an interesting time geopolitically for the US. In 5-10, the US will no longer be the #1 economy by all metrics (not just some). Our ability to influence geopolitics has been put to serious question by the previous administration, in favor of a more nationalistic approach, all while not fully comprehending the downstream effects of such a move.

Strong partnerships, not just on paper, but leveraging each countries strengths is the only way to compete on a global scale. Also, alliances like the TPP would have benefited the US. And while I understand there are political ramifications for the TPP the fact the US isn't part of it anymore allows China to grow unchecked in the region. Again, the US hasn't comprehended the downstream effects of such a move, in favor of short term political gains.

Also, the US lacks the number of individuals with advanced degrees, unlike China and India, which will put the US at a severed disadvantage in the near future. The US has relied on those individuals to come to the US and work. The tighter immigration policies have slowed that significantly. And it will have a detrimental effect. Sure, the US should be ramping that up. And in 20 years or so, we'll have a solid pipeline.

But yea... it'll be interesting...
By the Previous administration? Lol, I know how that whole thing in Kabul went down.

Is it not interesting how Putin and Xi got excited as Joe’s poll numbers went down..

something like, let’s make him look presidential…

We all know how, they ‘press reset’…

Reality, is, like all democracies, India 🇮🇳 has loads of problems to overcome before it becomes a first world country, another 100 years or so, and there could be set backs.

China being authoritarian has no Chance of ever becoming a US equivalent. There is too many internal problems even their geating rid of one child policy cannot resolve. The constant turmoil between communis functionaries for one.. with each successive purge..
Xi is barely done with his first round of corruption investigations.. then there will be another purge… and as soon as he is gone, the new guy from the other win will have his purge..

when not purging .. there are the always present enemies of state.. Fulan Gong.. Urguys… Tibet…

Then there are the oppressed minorities that cann for example hold officer position in the communist Navy or Army, if one is not Han… forget it…

So yeah.. I suspect, despite Trudeau Mugambe’s effort, it’s another Anglo Century…

China starts a conflict with the United States , and just like the Shogunate, there will be a US general In Beijing writing a new constitution.
China will be broken up soon there after, for unlike the propaganda, China is not homogeneous.. there are a lot of groups that do not want to be under Han rule.

Perhaps the Shogunate can get Manchuria back.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Lol, you are still going to pull the Daewoo card, this many years after telling us Ford cannot supply it’s Indian rickshaws on time.. hahahahaha

The ford coolaid runs deep in you Obi KogKnee
Call it Kool Aid if you want. The Eco Sport is aimed as an Entry Level Focus Replacement Bargan Basement Stuff. Ford hasn't tagged it as a Mercury and priced it as a Lincoln

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
Call it Kool Aid if you want. The Eco Sport is aimed as an Entry Level Focus Replacement Bargan Basement Stuff. Ford hasn't tagged it as a Mercury and priced it as a Lincoln
That little pig eco sport, or whatever.. Ka with larger wheels is better of dead if you ask me. How is Trudeau working out for you in our frozen territories to the North? Turns out he is more Mugambe than Canadian...apparently, there is a story going around that his mother was had by Castro...

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,544 Posts
That little pig eco sport, or whatever.. Ka with larger wheels is better of dead if you ask me. How is Trudeau working out for you in our frozen territories to the North? Turns out he is more Mugambe than Canadian...apparently, there is a story going around that his mother was had by Castro...
It's an Ecospurt. :D

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Ford already uses India as an Export Hub, it is where every Eco Sport comes from.
Ford EcoSport is being discontinued later this year in the U.S. and Mexico, not sure about Canada. Ford exported EcoSport from its Chennai plant to these markets.

EcoSport is also assembled (or was assembled) at these Ford plants:
  • Camaçari (Brazil) - plant shut down in 2021
  • Craiova (Romania) - European market
  • Rayong (Thailand) - Southeast Asian markets outside Vietnam
  • Chonqing (China - JV with Chang'an) - China domestic market
  • Haiduong (Vietnam) - Vietnam domestic market

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The tighter immigration policies have slowed that significantly.
Excellent. The next steps should be to rescind the 1965 Immigration Act and impose a moratorium on all immigration to the U.S. for at least the next 20 years.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Excellent. The next steps should be to rescind the 1965 Immigration Act and impose a moratorium on all immigration to the U.S. for at least the next 20 years.
Like much of Western Europe, the United States has been experiencing a decline in its native-born population. Our population growth is powered by immigrants. With fewer people being born here, our native born labor pool has declined. We are able to maintain our employment growth by hiring immigrants.

Shutting down immigration will have some major consequences for our economy--some of which are happening already. Others are easy to predict.
  • Where employers need local employees, the trend toward robots will accelerate. Walk into a major retail store like Walmart* for a glimpse into your future.
  • If the job can be done remotely, then it will be done remotely over an Internet connection by workers in Bangladesh or some such place. And, I don't mean just call centers. If a job can be done from home in the suburbs or while taking an RV trip around the US, then it can be done is Tahiti, Barbados, or Surinam.
  • The aging of the American population will accelerate with no new healthcare workers from the Philippines and Nigeria to care for them.
Long story short--this is an incredibly bad idea.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
you volunteering to do all the jobs that will go vacant? or are you thinking MORE and MORE import products AND increased EXPORT of engineering / R and D to other countries that are BETTER trained then the USA?
not trying to be an Azz hat but the USA education system is badly broke and does NOT "create" enough engineers ETC to satisfy demand WITH immigrants let alone without

·
Registered
44,831 Posts
Like much of Western Europe, the United States has been experiencing a decline in its native-born population. Our population growth is powered by immigrants. With fewer people being born here, our native born labor pool has declined. We are able to maintain our employment growth by hiring immigrants.

Shutting down immigration will have some major consequences for our economy--some of which are happening already. Others are easy to predict.
  • Where employers need local employees, the trend toward robots will accelerate. Walk into a major retail store like Walmart* for a glimpse into your future.
  • If the job can be done remotely, then it will be done remotely over an Internet connection by workers in Bangladesh or some such place. And, I don't mean just call centers. If a job can be done from home in the suburbs or while taking an RV trip around the US, then it can be done is Tahiti, Barbados, or Surinam.
  • The aging of the American population will accelerate with no new healthcare workers from the Philippines and Nigeria to care for them.
Yup. Beat me to it.
Many people are extremely shortsighted here.

If the pandemic has taught us anything, remote work is quite viable. And while I don't believe the trend will last, companies will have to incorporate some form of remote and/or hybrid work in the near future. My company is allow some remote work out side of the US for short periods of time, with specific countries disallowed for being high risk. Also, while we do have an RTO by end of March, we have the option to extend to end of July, which most people I've spoken too= have done, including myself. After March, if you aren't in the Bay Area, then your pay will be adjusted to scale. In short, if you were in the SF Bay Area or NYC offices prior to the pandemic and have chosen to live elsewhere, your pay will be adjusted to the pay scale of your location. And most companies have adopted this policy, especially in Silicon Valley. That can be a BIG cut, depending on locale.

And yes. You bring up a great point about imported healthcare workers, particularly from the Philippines. THey're increasingly becoming the healthcare backbone, especially since we can't graduate our own. 18% of RN's in CA are Filipino.

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts

Reality is, there is no population growth anywhere, even Africa Middle East, etc…is slowing down due to cultural infiltration..

sooner than later, it’s going to implode.

According to Musk, it’s the single greatest threat to civilization

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
Ford EcoSport is being discontinued later this year in the U.S. and Mexico, not sure about Canada. Ford exported EcoSport from its Chennai plant to these markets.

EcoSport is also assembled (or was assembled) at these Ford plants:
  • Camaçari (Brazil) - plant shut down in 2021
  • Craiova (Romania) - European market
  • Rayong (Thailand) - Southeast Asian markets outside Vietnam
  • Chonqing (China - JV with Chang'an) - China domestic market
  • Haiduong (Vietnam) - Vietnam domestic market
The real issues discussed here

so, your politicians screw you, but convince you that you are solving problems with their assistance

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Reality is, there is no population growth anywhere, even Africa Middle East, etc…is slowing down due to cultural infiltration..

Hogwash. Global population growth is a hair above 1% per year. In absolute terms, the population grew by more than 80 million each of the last several years for which figures exist.

If you learn nothing else on this forum, then learn this: 80 million does not equal zero.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
14,544 Posts

Well, that native born population better get busy and start popping out some young-uns if we're to turn this sinking ship around. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
36,148 Posts
Hogwash. Global population growth is a hair above 1% per year. In absolute terms, the population grew by more than 80 million each of the last several years for which figures exist.

If you learn nothing else on this forum, then learn this: 80 million does not equal zero.
I will not claim to be as smart as Elon Musk. I do not agree with him all the time, however, he is smart enough for me to listen and consider what he has to say. He is reputed by those that know him to be brilliant, just like Bush 43. He is said to be extremely brilliant in private, despite his fool public persona

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Didn't you hear, the gays figured out a way to have kids, We're saved!!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts