GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
And Ford recalled half of all Mustang Mach-e's sold and stopped selling new ones due to a charging issue that can cause it to just die while driving. Add that to the disaster Ford is having with the 2.7L EcoBoost in the new Bronco and Ford is getting kicked in the teeth.

·
Premium Member
36,977 Posts
Easy come easy go.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
So only Ford vehicles are affected not Lincolns? My g/f has a 2016 MKZ so I am curious if her car is affected since the Fusion is.

·
Premium Member
36,977 Posts
So only Ford vehicles are affected not Lincolns? My g/f has a 2016 MKZ so I am curious if her car is affected since the Fusion is.
Of course not Lincolns!! Lincolns are much better cars than Fords. Krikey!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Ford’s CEO, Jim Farley, has said Ford has to fix its new-car launches, quality and warranty costs, as well as other costs: Farley on Fixing Ford

Ford is now copying a page from GM’s efforts from about eight or nine years ago. They are repeatedly having numerous safety recalls and problems with their new-car launches.

Ford has also recently issued a serous safety recall (potential engine compartment fire hazard) for certain 2021 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator models, for which there is no remedy by Ford.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Correct if I'm wrong but hasn't Ford had this "slipping out of park" issue numerous times over the decades?

What the world makes their transmissions so prone to that particular failure? I swear I remember them having the same issue in the 1970s and again every 10-15 yrs.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Correct if I'm wrong but hasn't Ford had this "slipping out of park" issue numerous times over the decades?

What the world makes their transmissions so prone to that particular failure? I swear I remember them having the same issue in the 1970s and again every 10-15 yrs.
Now then you mention it, isn'it one of the automatic transmissions then Ford worked with GM in a joint-venture?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Now then you mention it, isn'it one of the automatic transmissions then Ford worked with GM in a joint-venture?
The presently used FWD 8 speed (Ford) / 9 speed (GM) was a joint design as was the 10 speed RWD transmission. I think there are a decent number of differences still between the implementation of the design plus each company produces it's own version of the common design. In other words, they're not built in 1 factory supplying both companies nor are the identically built.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Yes the infamous FMX

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Just to clarify, Ford has two FWD/AWD 8-Speed transmissions (one is only used in the Edge/Nautilus) while the other is used in all the C2 cars. Both of them are based on the previous 6-Speed ATX rather than the GM 9 ATX...I'm forgetting all of the model numbers for these transmissions but Ford ultimately scrapped that JV transmission and went in-house. Apparently Ford had to step-back after the 9-Speed design didn't meet their needs for the EcoBoost engines.

The Edge/Nautilus have allot of low-volume orphaned components at this point, but that's going to be over soon. Edge is dropped next year and the new C2 Nautilus (imported from China) arrives end of 2023 with a 2.0L and Hybrid...all the C2 stuff. It should be the first Lincoln with the new CarPlay dash integration.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
This is most likely a position sensor issue related to the gear lever not reporting to the cluster, which is why it effects different models and drivetrains the same way. It's also why Lincolns weren't effected because they used buttons, and Ford would later redesign everything with those infamous dials. This is hilarious when you remember that the lever is just an elaborate button in a solid state system that mimics the old mechanical linkages people are use to. It's not really a huge safety issue as long as you pay attention to the lever's position instead of the dash readout, but obviously it needs to be fixed. I can't imagine the sensor is expensive to replace, but cracking into a console isn't the quickest thing to do.

The other thing the Lincolns had which also eliminates this concern is auto-park, the transmissions would automatically shift into park to prevent rollaways. This came to all Fords with the dials and 2021 F-150 with the motorized lever (it's actually the reason the folding motorized lever is standard, it's a safety system). Technically you could still implement the Auto-Park feature with a mechanical lever, but you have to instruct the driver to move the gear lever back to park to reset the system which is why Ford may have chosen not to go this route (others have).

This is why I've always loved the solid state gear selectors, they are an essential safety innovation. And this fiasco now just further illustrates why.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
This is most likely a position sensor issue related to the gear lever not reporting to the cluster, which is why it effects different models and drivetrains the same way. It's also why Lincolns weren't effected because they used buttons, and Ford would later redesign everything with those infamous dials. This is hilarious when you remember that the lever is just an elaborate button in a solid state system that mimics the old mechanical linkages people are use to. It's not really a huge safety issue as long as you pay attention to the lever's position instead of the dash readout, but obviously it needs to be fixed. I can't imagine the sensor is expensive to replace, but cracking into a console isn't the quickest thing to do.

The other thing the Lincolns had which also eliminates this concern is auto-park, the transmissions would automatically shift into park to prevent rollaways. This came to all Fords with the dials and 2021 F-150 with the motorized lever (it's actually the reason the folding motorized lever is standard, it's a safety system). Technically you could still implement the Auto-Park feature with a mechanical lever, but you have to instruct the driver to move the gear lever back to park to reset the system which is why Ford may have chosen not to go this route (others have).

This is why I've always loved the solid state gear selectors, they are an essential safety innovation. And this fiasco now just further illustrates why.
I was wondering if the push button vs shifter was the reason but I was under the assumption it was more mechanical and those shifters are all electronic now and don't really use a mechanical system anymore. But makes sense thanks.

Reactions: BORG

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Ford recalls is in the news far too much lately. What is going on?

Ford's warranty costs is a problem of longstanding as is illustrated in Ben Klayman's Reuter's 2020 report posted above. Jim Farley tried to pass it off to Ford's contract suppliers. The problem is now understood to be Ford's procurement culture. Ford's procurement culture does not have in place the systems engineering procedures to optimize vehicle components at the systems level. Farley's new tactic to fix the problem is to split the company's ICE and EV operations into two separate branches.

Blaming the suppliers did not fix the problem. I am baffled at how splitting the company in two can fix the problem. Perhaps the third time will be the charm.

·
Premium Member
36,977 Posts
Ford recalls is in the news far too much lately. What is going on?
They're a bunch of show-off publicity hounds. Anything to get on TV. I know people like that.

Ford eh? They be on a roll with all these recalls any more.
I'm sensing a pun in there somewhere. Say it ain't so, Joe!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
They're a bunch of show-off publicity hounds. Anything to get on TV. I know people like that.

I'm sensing a pun in there somewhere. Say it ain't so, Joe!

Ford need a nice little catchy Ford ad campaign to get owners in to Ford service departments ASAP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts