GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,778 Posts
In addition, Ford said starting next year it will operate and report financial results around its 3 core business units:

• Ford Blue - the traditional ICE (internal combustion engine) business
  • Ford Model e - the EV business along with software and connected services
  • Ford Pro – the commercial and government vehicles business unit.
This will be interesting to see come 2023!

I'm sure the IC division of Ford, which probably contributed much of these profits, are cheering the results: Ford CEO Farley Says Automaker ‘Absolutely Has Too Many People’ (msn.com)
ICE vehicles sold in North America alone (Ford's BEV are break even at best) accounted for 90% of Ford's companywide Q2 2022 adjusted EBIT:

Font Parallel Rectangle Electric blue Brand

Font Rectangle Parallel Electric blue Plot

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I hope MB handles GM's situation with more tact. No matter what, heads will be lost, but it's how it is handled..
Same here! I also hope that both GM and Ford are more tactful in communicating the message that gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles (plus hybrids for Ford) are and will continue to be essential for each company's long term financial health, and represent the products the vast majority of their customers want to buy now and well into the future.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'm talking about the success of the Prius tricking other makes into thinking that was the right way to launch their more expensive green tech.
Ford certainly wasn't tricked. It developed its own power-split hybrid powertrain, independent of Toyota, though Ford was proactive in avoiding patent lawsuits and thus obtained licenses from Toyota, in exchange for Toyota obtaining licenses on some of Ford's diesel and direct-injection spark ignition technologies.

Ford has been very successful with both the engineering and marketing aspects of its hybrid vehicles over the past 18 years. The main issue Ford faces today is that demand for its hybrids far exceeds production.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'm talking about more advanced, expensive, hybrid tech - GM's Volt and earlier BEV (Bolt, Leaf) - all trying to attract that Prius crowd but failed with their $40k price tags. GM, Nissan and BMW, etc. tried making their hybrid tech for the masses but with $40k price tags. The tech they all used should've been launched in more expensive vehicles.
Good points BlackGTP. What saddens me about the premature demise of GM's 2-Mode Hybrid and Voltec programs is that they didn't fail because of technical issues or obsolescence, but to inept marketing. 2-Mode and Voltec represented superior engineering compared to the Ford and Toyota power-split hybrid powertrains, but GM marketing dweebs doomed both almost from the start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts